PDA

View Full Version : Key replacement prices

nobananas
Thursday 9th March 2006, 21:58
Have been quoted £50 to have a key cut and programmed for my 96' 850. Does this sound reasonable or is it a tad steep ?

iGGy
Thursday 9th March 2006, 22:09
If that's a genuine Volvo key, then it's a good price. If it's a generic blank with code chip in it...more like £20 all in.

Actually off to do battle with my car on the key programming front tomorrow...lots of head scratching at the dealer the last time as they failed to get their equipment to talk to the car correctly.

nobananas
Thursday 9th March 2006, 23:06
The geezer I spoke to said he only needed the key. He had a gizmo that reads the key code then programmes that into a key blank then the blank is cut in the usual way.

iGGy
Thursday 9th March 2006, 23:40
Sounds expensive to me if it's just a generic code key blank thats programmed and cut. Two of the three local places to me offered the programming for free, but only one could actually cut the key as the others didn't have the correct vice to hold the key. Well, one actually said he'd had too many problems getting a good profile so declined that bit of it.

In total it cost me £20 for a programmed, cut generic code key and also the cutting of my original Volvo blank...that still isn't programmed. Tomorrow for that hopefully.

When the two key cutters read my working key and then tried to program the Volvo blank, they failed. Seems like Volvo add a little something extra to stop originals from being programmed by non-dealers...or possibly do