PDA

View Full Version : Pcv???

lee632
Thursday 9th March 2006, 20:45
I keep reading about People checking/replacing the PCV, What is it???

mavv
Thursday 9th March 2006, 20:49
something control valve

madness
Thursday 9th March 2006, 22:43
its not an official term. i think pressure control valve? idle control valve or the turbo valve probbly

t5tart
Friday 10th March 2006, 00:12
pcv positive crank ventilation

its the crank case breather system
term used by the yanks on volvo speed

lee632
Friday 10th March 2006, 17:26
Ah, i bet it's the oil seperator on the crankcase breather system!!!

MattB
Friday 10th March 2006, 17:34
Ah, i bet it's the oil seperator on the crankcase breather system!!!
That be the one sir!

I hope to do mine real soon :troutslap

BlackBeast
Friday 10th March 2006, 18:29
That be the one sir!

I hope to do mine real soon :troutslap

Same here, remember to get a new inlet manifold gasket while your there! At the same time i shall be replacing all the vacuum hoses with nice blue silicone ones :)

Rufe
Friday 10th March 2006, 19:22
its not an official term. i think pressure control valve? idle control valve or the turbo valve probbly
it is an official term, well one that lots of people in this country use, but not volvo it seems. when i worked for nissan we allways called the crank ventialtion filters/breathers PCV filters/breathers.

black beast have you done this job yet mate? i remember you coming to see me and getting a list of prices from me for doing this lol (i thought it scared you off lol) :haha:

BlackBeast
Friday 10th March 2006, 20:29
black beast have you done this job yet mate? i remember you coming to see me and getting a list of prices from me for doing this lol (i thought it scared you off lol) :haha:

Still on my to-do list Simon lol Will give you a bell very very soon.

Steve

MattB
Friday 10th March 2006, 22:08
Same here, remember to get a new inlet manifold gasket while your there! At the same time i shall be replacing all the vacuum hoses with nice blue silicone ones :)

Got me inlet manifold gasket sir - which hoses are you replacing and where did you get the silicone hoses from / how much? :dunce:

BlackBeast
Friday 10th March 2006, 22:28
which hoses are you replacing and where did you get the silicone hoses from / how much? :dunce:

I will be replacing all the pcv hoses with standard volvo stuff, wont be using silicone for any of that as silicone should not be used with fuel or oil, both of which the pcv system holds.

I will be using silicone for all the vacuum hoses from the turbo to the inlet and bcs, and most likely for the small hose from the expansion tank to the block/thermostat (antifreeze system).

MattB
Saturday 11th March 2006, 10:40
"I see" said the blind man!
Thanks for the pointer, I'll consider replacing some hoses when I get around to doing my pcv. :)