PDA

View Full Version : Advice on planned modifications to S70 T5

JO5EPH
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 13:33
Ok well not had it long, and I think its great, but its time to think about making it even greater....

1. LPG conversion
It would seem (after searching the forum) that there are differeing opinions to this. It might compromise the reliability, and the price of LPG is increasing rapidly etc.

2. Suspension
I want it to be able to handle the power, so I was thinking strut brace, and possibly adjustable shockers, but these seem very expensive?

3. Brakes
More stopping power would be good, so any recommendations??

4. RICA 260bhp, s/s exhaust, uprated air filter
Well from what i've read it seems to be the most cost-effective way of improving performance/fuel economy!

But what sort of order should I do these things in??

I would ideally like to do the LPG first to reap the benefits, but would I be better doing the RICA beforehand??

Many thanks!

Joe :)

volvotuning
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 13:58
Ok well not had it long, and I think its great, but its time to think about making it even greater....

1. LPG conversion
It would seem (after searching the forum) that there are differeing opinions to this. It might compromise the reliability, and the price of LPG is increasing rapidly etc.

2. Suspension
I want it to be able to handle the power, so I was thinking strut brace, and possibly adjustable shockers, but these seem very expensive?

3. Brakes
More stopping power would be good, so any recommendations??

4. RICA 260bhp, s/s exhaust, uprated air filter
Well from what i've read it seems to be the most cost-effective way of improving performance/fuel economy!

But what sort of order should I do these things in??

I would ideally like to do the LPG first to reap the benefits, but would I be better doing the RICA beforehand??

Many thanks!

Hi Joe,

If you are retrofitting an LPG system, you must do the remap first, because the LPG system will need to be programmed based on the injector timing after the remap. Otherwise it will never work properly on LPG.

The order you do the rest of the stuff is entirely up to you.

Adam.

JO5EPH
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 18:42
Hi Joe,

If you are retrofitting an LPG system, you must do the remap first, because the LPG system will need to be programmed based on the injector timing after the remap. Otherwise it will never work properly on LPG.

The order you do the rest of the stuff is entirely up to you.

Adam.

Thanks adam :D

So what does 'retrofitting' mean?? :redface:

I'm planning on taking it to an 'experts' and getting them to fit a recommended LPG kit.
And would it be best for the s/s exhaust and air filter to be done at the same time as the RICA?

Cheers

volvotuning
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 19:01
Thanks adam :D

So what does 'retrofitting' mean?? :redface:

I'm planning on taking it to an 'experts' and getting them to fit a recommended LPG kit.
And would it be best for the s/s exhaust and air filter to be done at the same time as the RICA?

Cheers

Hi Joe,

Retrofitting means installing something that wasn't included with the car as standard, as opposed to being installed at the factory such as LPG on the Bi-Fuel cars.

You can do the cat-back exhaust and filter at the same time. It doesn't really matter which way round you do it because these items will be within the performance window of the ECU upgrade. You will save money if you have all these done together though.

By the way, your nearest RICA installation centre is in Preston, but they can only do the 1999 and later models, done via OBDII.

Adam.

JO5EPH
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 19:11
By the way, your nearest RICA installation centre is in Preston, but they can only do the 1999 and later models, done via OBDII.

Adam.

Oh dear, so where would I need to travel to get my 1997 S70 T5 done??

(I meant 280bhp NOT 260 RICA btw, well, whatever the milder one is anyway!)

Thanks again!

BlackBeast
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 19:12
I think its wise to fit an aftermarket exhaust due to the higher EGR values accompanied when running on LPG.

volvotuning
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 19:16
Oh dear, so where would I need to travel to get my 1997 S70 T5 done??

(I meant 280bhp NOT 260 RICA btw, well, whatever the milder one is anyway!)

Thanks again!

You would need to travel to us. We're in Bromsgrove, which is J4 & J5 M5. From Preston it's about 90 minutes drive. It's best if you come down to us because we can check the car to make sure everything is ok. It's possible to upgrade the ECU by post but I wouldn't recommend it. Besides, the drive back is a lot more fun!!! :)

If you do travel to us, then it will be done while you wait. Assuming everything goes smoothly and there are no problems that need fixing, then you should only be here about 2-3 hours.

Adam.

JO5EPH
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 19:22
You would need to travel to us. We're in Bromsgrove, which is J4 & J5 M5. From Preston it's about 90 minutes drive. It's best if you come down to us because we can check the car to make sure everything is ok. It's possible to upgrade the ECU by post but I wouldn't recommend it.

If you do travel to us, then it will be done while you wait. Assuming everything goes smoothly and there are no problems that need fixing, then you should only be here about 2-3 hours.

Adam.

Right, that will be about 2hrs from me then, and from reading on the site, its £599 for the exhaust, air filter and RICA?? Is that all with a member discount of 10% or just the chip/ecu?

Many thanks

P.S you will be getting my custom, but it will be in a month or two to give me time to save if thats ok!

volvotuning
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 19:30
Right, that will be about 2hrs from me then, and from reading on the site, its £599 for the exhaust, air filter and RICA?? Is that all with a member discount of 10% or just the chip/ecu?

Many thanks

P.S you will be getting my custom, but it will be in a month or two to give me time to save if thats ok!

The £599 doesn't include the ITG, but it's still a big saving. Seperately, the ECU costs £340 and the exhaust costs £329. Fitting the exhaust is probably around £20-30. Therefore the total would normally be around £699. So that's a £100 saving.

Adam.

ps. I will send you a pm.

BigJC
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 21:35
Joe,

All what Adam said and you should take it to them purely because they check your car out first and check it works properly after the remap.

Just buy a Volvo OEM strut brace and it'll really tidy your handling up, it really does make a difference and for around £65ish, it's a lot cheaper than shocks n springs.

If you want a demo of a RICA280 and strut brace equiped S70, pm me, I'm only 20 mins down the M6!

JO5EPH
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 22:23
Joe,

All what Adam said and you should take it to them purely because they check your car out first and check it works properly after the remap.

Just buy a Volvo OEM strut brace and it'll really tidy your handling up, it really does make a difference and for around £65ish, it's a lot cheaper than shocks n springs.

If you want a demo of a RICA280 and strut brace equiped S70, pm me, I'm only 20 mins down the M6!

Yeah, thats what my car's been through in its previous life (RICA-by-post) and ended up with £900 repair bill when things went wrong! So I'll definitely be travelling down to VT :)

Thanks for the offer of a demo too :D , I might be in touch in a couple weeks time if thats ok??

Cheers

P.S. 20 mins down the M6, that would get me to preston if I was flooring it! (I'm @ J35)

BigJC
Wednesday 8th March 2006, 08:29
I thought you were at Preston, doh! J35 eh, I'm in Milnthorpe on Saturday night for a wedding reception but I'm staying in my old stomping ground -Kendal.
The great things about T5's, the Lakes is only 45mins away from me!

No worries about the demo, just gimme a shout.