PDA

View Full Version : top speed of a t4

markt4
Monday 6th March 2006, 21:22
any1 know what the supposed top speed is for a t4...been told its a 147mph..but that has to be wrong??? or i have problems

madness
Monday 6th March 2006, 21:28
it is 147/143 auto in the book. im not saying how fast ive been but its more than that WITHOUT nos

major factor- it needs a long run up . above 130 its pretty gradual

Titch
Monday 6th March 2006, 22:06
Not to suggest for one minute that i have tried it but mine has also been faster than the manufacturers suggested top speed, i will say no more than that. having said that ,that was after i had avisit from simon from upsolute. not sure how accurate my speedo was at that speed though.

t5tart
Monday 6th March 2006, 22:26
thats where a road angel is great gps speedo

and imho
on private closed safe roads at 140 my speedo is spot on to the gps..... so pretty accurate

siamblue
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 00:14
thats where a road angel is great gps speedo

and imho
on private closed safe roads at 140 my speedo is spot on to the gps..... so pretty accurate

my reads 1 mph lower at 120 kph lol, compared to the Origin B2.

Gary,

markt4
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 07:32
just in my dreams i have it wont go over 135...but ill have to see if i can imagine a longer road in my next dream

markt4
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 21:59
been on to a bloke called simon at upsolute and the price has dropped to £295 and he can fit me in within 2 weeks....decisions..decisions...it is a extra 36 ponies

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 23:22
You only Live ( dream ) once :) :) :) .... He'll probably check your cr over at the same time to see if there are any underlying problems...

mavv
Wednesday 8th March 2006, 02:14
i've never tried a top speed run in mine (yet)

Ross9
Wednesday 8th March 2006, 16:42
Get some mods on it ;)

Jacqs did 0-150mph in 1.2 miles from a standing start, and was still accelerating as it went through the speed trap (speedo was reading around 155mph), the terminal after 400metres on the same run was 98mph, so there wasnt much gradual about it in the following 0.95 miles as it picked up 52mph. MTE remap, cone filter and full exhaust system (260bhp, 305 lb/ft)

So, it's worth getting the mods.

As it was when Jacq got it before she added any modifications it was capable of 145+ indicated and didnt require miles and miles to do that.

Ross

Enigma666
Thursday 9th March 2006, 00:36
I'd agree with Ross on that one.
I've done 145+ and really doesnt take long to get there.
That was standard at the time too

madness
Thursday 9th March 2006, 09:04
mark from experience lack of top end = boost/vacuum leak!
when i had a bleed valve it took the top end off , and i also when
i had a leak

markt4
Thursday 9th March 2006, 09:28
cheers madness...how do i check for leaks...r they big pipes or little pipes??lol i havent got a clue...any 1 got any pics of the pipes i need to check?

madness
Thursday 9th March 2006, 09:53
follow pipes from turbo back , are they loose?
look around the inlet manifold as well for obvious signs.
if not, get someone to check it by pressuring the system

this is the same principle as a bleed valve - better acceleration but no top end.

only other thing i can think of, we had a t4 police car that wouldnt get to the top end, we had it on a loaded dyno and the wastegate was giving up under engine load but i think that was well before 130. and it lost power when it happened

timway
Thursday 9th March 2006, 10:07
Hello, :wave23d:

I bought a T4 a few months ago, I've seen an indicated speed of 157mph, probably a true 151-153mph. (On a private airfield of course) :)

I thought it must have already been chipped, but hooked up a boost gauge and it was peaking at just under one bar, so probably standard.
It did take a few miles to get to that speed though (it was a very long private airfield) :lol:

I'm getting an MTE ecu upgrade this weekend so hopefully the speedo will go off the scale, lol

Probably worth finding out if somethings wrong before you get any upgrades done.... have you tried measuring the acceleration?
Tim

madness
Thursday 9th March 2006, 10:20
gearing is against much over 160. you run out of revs as well . its just a case of how quick you get there.

timway
Thursday 9th March 2006, 10:38
True, it was doing over 6000rpm at that speed which is well past the peak power. I'm surprised it went as fast as it did to be honest, maybe I had a tailwind :)

madness
Thursday 9th March 2006, 22:41
i have no power peak. holds until i back off throttle-

>> get yourself nitrous!!!!!!