PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!! - Suspension Problems?

GuyD5
Monday 6th March 2006, 17:18
Hi peeps, been out in my ME7 V70 today, turned a 90 degree left corner to go from the level to uphill, under acceleration in 2nd at about 20mph, and developed a noise from the front-offside which sounds as if the wheel is loose (it isn't) and is most noticeable when pressing and releasing the accelerator repeatedly (at slow speeds) ... limped home and parked it up. Steering response is still very positive . Could this be related to the occasional 'clunk' I've heard recently when travelling slowly in a straight line and for which I have bought new drop links. I changed the front wishbones about 4 months ago, and the springs/suspension were upgraded about 18 months ago.

Anyone any ideas what this might be?

fireclown
Monday 6th March 2006, 17:31
could be cv joint

GuyD5
Monday 6th March 2006, 17:33
could be cv joint

Hoping it isn't ... I put a new one on that side when I replaced the wishbones :(

GuyD5
Monday 6th March 2006, 19:49
Nobody got any ideas? ... going to change the drop links tomorrow (when Number 3 son brings my tools back :)) .. is anything else likely to have gone or should be checked that might give this noise?

GuyD5
Monday 6th March 2006, 23:07
What????? nobody can give any suggestions? .... not even VikingT5, Wobbly or Justin???? ;)

Justin
Monday 6th March 2006, 23:08
As discussed rear engine mount possibly ?? ;)

GuyD5
Monday 6th March 2006, 23:09
awesome timing Big Lad ;) :)

Vikingxl
Monday 6th March 2006, 23:28
Sure theres not a pensioner stuck in that wheel arch?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 6th March 2006, 23:39
I wasnt able to get into here whilst at work - soz!

GuyD5
Monday 6th March 2006, 23:39
LOL :) ... thanks Rich ... took your time getting home then ... thought you were in the T5 and not the 25 ;)

GuyD5
Monday 6th March 2006, 23:40
excuses Wobbly? ;)

Vikingxl
Monday 6th March 2006, 23:40
Lol had to be a good boy for a while back up to full speed in the morning!

GuyD5
Monday 6th March 2006, 23:47
LoL :D

Wobbly Dave
Monday 6th March 2006, 23:48
:haha:

GuyD5
Monday 6th March 2006, 23:57
Good to see you Wobbly ... all you got to do is decide which Volvo you REALLY want ;) :D

craig
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 18:53
if its anything like mine was getting the drop link changed sorted it out a treat.

stuAWD
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 19:49
While its up in the air changing the drop link, check wheel bearing ok. Hold wheel top and bottom, feel for any play in the bearing, do the same holding the wheel at 9 o'clock & 3 o'clock (i dont mean AM and PM). If that don't show anything, take your wheel off and check the engine mounting located just inside the wheel arch liner

Vikingxl
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 20:03
Or just check for that trapped pensioner!

GuyD5
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 21:45
Thanks all for the suggestions (except Sissons ;)) .... jacked it up in the rain today and found that the front offside wheel bolts weren't torqued up properly, the wheel didn't feel loose when you rocked it, but when I retorqued it the noise went away .... only MoT'd a fortnight ago with no repairs needed .... thought it was going to be just my luck to have to pay out loads now instead of then. That'll teach me to use the wheelbrace and not check afterwards with the torque wrench :troutslap

Engineer
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 22:08
Thanks all for the suggestions (except Sissons ;)) .... jacked it up in the rain today and found that the front offside wheel bolts weren't torqued up properly, the wheel didn't feel loose when you rocked it, but when I retorqued it the noise went away .... only MoT'd a fortnight ago with no repairs needed .... thought it was going to be just my luck to have to pay out loads now instead of then. That'll teach me to use the wheelbrace and not check afterwards with the torque wrench :troutslapMight be a good idea to have the other 16 bolts checked mate.

GuyD5
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 22:19
did the other 15 they were all tight ... is there one I've missed? :)

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 8th March 2006, 00:31
The one holding your sanity..!!!!!!!! :haha: :haha:

GuyD5
Wednesday 8th March 2006, 12:16
LoL :D

Vikingxl
Wednesday 8th March 2006, 14:50
You didnt fit those wheels on a Tuesday morning did you?