PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt Area - mystery 'noise'.

MattB
Monday 6th March 2006, 10:35
Hi Matt. i notice on your to do list that you have investigate scratch noise from cam cover....I have the same noise. I think you'll find its a dry bearing from the powersteering pump. (sorry to hijack thread).
Cheers Lee! I was a little concerned as cambelt isn't due for another 40k, but thought it might have been starting to fray and catch the cover or something equally as unlikely or daft! I thought this, because its a pulsating scratching noise. I can't do alot to investigate at the moment as I still cannot get into my garage (long story! :wallbash: ). As soon as I do, I'll look into it and provide more information. Thanks for your suggestion :) !

Wish I knew what was causing the rumble from the front wheels as its driving me insane!! Still - I have a week off at the end of the month, so will probably drop it into the main stealer and see if they can figure it out (££££'s)??

LeeT5
Monday 6th March 2006, 19:18
Cheers Lee! I was a little concerned as cambelt isn't due for another 40k, but thought it might have been starting to fray and catch the cover or something equally as unlikely or daft! I thought this, because its a pulsating scratching noise. I can't do alot to investigate at the moment as I still cannot get into my garage (long story! :wallbash: ). As soon as I do, I'll look into it and provide more information. Thanks for your suggestion :) !

Wish I knew what was causing the rumble from the front wheels as its driving me insane!! Still - I have a week off at the end of the month, so will probably drop it into the main stealer and see if they can figure it out (££££'s)??

Check to see if your tyres are 'feathered'. If so chances are your shocks may need attention, but if it the rears feathered then check all 6 rear axle beam bolts. They have a tendency to work loose and cause the rear of the car to vibrate.

Equally get your car laser allighned at somewhere like ELITE, Rainham, essex. Dont go to mickey mouse workshops AKA quikfit or any other fast fit centers, they dont have a clue. If theres an alignment issue then these guys will fix it. Test is free but adjustment is £50. I get mine done every year. Hope this helps. Check the balancing too!! :)

MattB
Sunday 12th March 2006, 17:20
Check to see if your tyres are 'feathered'. If so chances are your shocks may need attention, but if it the rears feathered then check all 6 rear axle beam bolts. They have a tendency to work loose and cause the rear of the car to vibrate.

Equally get your car laser allighned at somewhere like ELITE, Rainham, essex. Dont go to mickey mouse workshops AKA quikfit or any other fast fit centers, they dont have a clue. If theres an alignment issue then these guys will fix it. Test is free but adjustment is £50. I get mine done every year. Hope this helps. Check the balancing too!! :)

Hmmm - will check rear axle beam bolts once I am able to jack the car up. Fitted 17's last summer - swapped front and rear over about 1 month ago - tyres did not appear feathered. It seems starnge (to me) that the noise appears louder when the Michelins are on the front. When put to the rear the noise is somewhat quieter, but still present - dodgy set of tyres?? I had laser tracking done last summer at Bathwick Tyres (could this be the same as what you are refering to Lee?), along with balancing on all 4 wheels - noise still remained.

I have a 'local' garage opposite me at work - may drop it into them on Tuesday to see if they can shed any light... :wallbash:

LeeT5
Sunday 12th March 2006, 19:12
Hmmm - will check rear axle beam bolts once I am able to jack the car up. Fitted 17's last summer - swapped front and rear over about 1 month ago - tyres did not appear feathered. It seems starnge (to me) that the noise appears louder when the Michelins are on the front. When put to the rear the noise is somewhat quieter, but still present - dodgy set of tyres?? I had laser tracking done last summer at Bathwick Tyres (could this be the same as what you are refering to Lee?), along with balancing on all 4 wheels - noise still remained.

I have a 'local' garage opposite me at work - may drop it into them on Tuesday to see if they can shed any light... :wallbash:

Yes the tracking is four wheel laser alighnment.
Does the noise humm?? ie like a wheel bearing noise, or does it vibrate?

MattB
Sunday 12th March 2006, 22:31
Good question - it doesn't (to me) sound like bearings. I've had bearings go before and they were a hum which got louder, the faster you go. This is a constant 'rumble', which is loud at 30mph and can still be heard 50mph+. :rolling_e

As for vibration - not a great deal - nothing I can feel in the steering wheel. Front wheels vibrate a hell of alot when they spin under power, if that helps? - but I assume they are just fighting for grip? :dunce:

LeeT5
Sunday 12th March 2006, 23:03
Yeah :D

Sounds like one of them probs that cant be fixed online..... :(

MattB
Sunday 12th March 2006, 23:23
Yeah :D

Sounds like one of them probs that cant be fixed online..... :(
Nevermind - thanks for trying - very much appreciated!
I'll stop being lazy now *LOL* and get it into a garage on Tues hopefully!
i'll let you know how I get on.

Ps 7500k bulbs look a treat!! cheers for the tip! :worship:

LeeT5
Sunday 12th March 2006, 23:40
Ps 7500k bulbs look a treat!! cheers for the tip! :worship:

They do look the bolox, best looking bulb i have ever tested, better than all that halfords and motorworld crap. I have also tried PIAA bulbs and IMHO they are not as good. But i found that you couldnt actually see much on the road at night.

So i have taken them out (as one blew) and replaced them with 'extreme xenon' type. Cost £11.99 and bright as ££££ with lots of white light on the road......personally highly recommended if you cant afford outlay of HIDS.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16137&cat=253&page=1

MattB
Sunday 12th March 2006, 23:51
They do look the bolox, best looking bulb i have ever tested, better than all that halfords and motorworld crap. I have also tried PIAA bulbs and IMHO they are not as good. But i found that you couldnt actually see much on the road at night. I agree.

So i have taken them out (as one blew) and replaced them with 'extreme xenon' type. Cost £11.99 and bright as ££££ with lots of white light on the road......personally highly recommended if you cant afford outlay of HIDS.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16137&cat=253&page=1I'll give these a go next :uglyhamme

MattB
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 21:30
Nevermind - thanks for trying - very much appreciated!
I'll stop being lazy now *LOL* and get it into a garage on Tues hopefully!
i'll let you know how I get on.
:worship:
Well, 2 garages have diagnosed the problem as 'tyre noise'. Apparently, Michelins are prone to excess noise as after time, the components, ie - tyre wall, casing and tread can come apart slightly, causing an un-even tread surface. Seemed a strange theroy at first, but as I say 2 independent garages have said this. All droplinks, suspension and bearings etc have been checked by both garages and reported to be ok.

2 new tyres on the agenda + 2 more to replace the rears as well!
mytyres.co.uk here I come.... :nutkick:

Still - I guess it could have been worse had I have had to replace the shocks or bearings etc! peepo Just hope it is the tyres!

LeeT5
Sunday 19th March 2006, 08:41
Well, 2 garages have diagnosed the problem as 'tyre noise'. Apparently, Michelins are prone to excess noise as after time, the components, ie - tyre wall, casing and tread can come apart slightly, causing an un-even tread surface. Seemed a strange theroy at first, but as I say 2 independent garages have said this. All droplinks, suspension and bearings etc have been checked by both garages and reported to be ok.

2 new tyres on the agenda + 2 more to replace the rears as well!
mytyres.co.uk here I come.... :nutkick:

Still - I guess it could have been worse had I have had to replace the shocks or bearings etc! peepo Just hope it is the tyres!

MMM, What michelins you running at the moment?

MattB
Sunday 19th March 2006, 08:52
MMM, What michelins you running at the moment?
Pilot Sports - I think.
I'm changing my PCV system this weekend and will be back out to finish it off in a bit, so will check them.