PDA

View Full Version : sensor query on 850

Richie-T5
Sunday 5th March 2006, 22:42
ok as you all know i have had issues with me ABS, i was lucky to obtain a brand new ecu and pump for 15 quid. (guy didnt know what it was !) so i tested theecu on the car prior to fitment sweet, no abs light and all was well. fitted the unit, and also replaced a snapped earth lead on the engine at the same time. 10 mins down the road and the bloody light is back, the horrible pumping sound and vibration is gone,

questions

1) does the system need a reset / can it reset ?
2) are there any sensors elsewhere relating to brakes which i can check ?
3)any ideas anyone ? i am ready to punch the light out of the dash. and its pissing me off if i get stopped i will get nailed by the cops, also it wont pass an MOT with it like it is.

PLEASE HELP

Richie

carnuts
Sunday 5th March 2006, 22:56
it normally does need re setting so the car knows its got a new part otherwise the problem will still saved in the ecu

could always try giving the sensors on each of the wheels a clean up as they get furred up!

Richie-T5
Sunday 5th March 2006, 22:58
sweet will do, any ideas on how to reset ?

carnuts
Sunday 5th March 2006, 23:04
remind me what diagnostic managemant they run on your 850 is it the big plug??

normally i can remember but i have the flu :sick:

Richie-T5
Sunday 5th March 2006, 23:10
its not ODB2 infact i dont know what plug the computer is its not the lil one at the front which the led plugs in and it 8nt ODB2 its a 96 N reg 855 2.3 20v T5 if it helps ?

carnuts
Sunday 5th March 2006, 23:20
if it is the type with a little cover and then and led with numbers 1 to 5 then it is fairly easy

i cant remember what number abs is but if you can find that out you plug the little plug into the number then push the button it will blink a fault code up push it again if the fault code is the same then simply hold the button down and count to about 30 seconds then let go this should erase the fault codes

if this is wrong my apologises as im not well

Richie-T5
Sunday 5th March 2006, 23:22
all advice is always appreciated regardless mate

thanks again ;)

Richie

t5tart
Sunday 5th March 2006, 23:32
try the brake pedal sensor its one that went on mine

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7554&highlight=fly+lead

have a look at this thread i wrote up the reset procedure for the flylead type

flying brick
Monday 6th March 2006, 18:40
could also be stop light switch have you checked the fault codes? what did it say

Richie-T5
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 22:20
the plugs 8nt where they are supposed to be ? i have booked me car into a trusted garage to plug it in and have a look, also to get my breathers done, as i am getting back preasure through the dip stick (just started) so hopefully they will sort it 4 me ;)

Richie

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 22:39
Do you have the old broken unit? I am willing to pay for it?

I have found through the course of fixing and returning the repaired units that the DTCs can linger sometimes. Best to get the codes read and reset and go from there. It is also possible that you really do have a wheel sensor fault. The sensors are not too expensive to replace.

Richie-T5
Wednesday 8th March 2006, 11:02
cheers wobbly. I have a contact in a slavage yard (not mentioning names so he dont get innundated with requests) who is going to pull off all abs units for me, i will work summit out with you as i get em, you can refurb em and flog em, as long as forum members get a great discount of course ;) (i am sure u already do this anyway)

Cheers

Richie

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 9th March 2006, 00:28
They will be assured of good service!

I appreciate your efforts and you will be rightfully rewarded

Richie-T5
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 14:00
ok me brakes are tickerty boo. if folk are getting ABS warning light dont run out and spend a fortune on ECU`s straight away, the Wheelspeed sensor and wires that come from the callipers were to blame for mine. DOE !

the plugs get loads of muck on em and ya get the flickering light. give em a clean and presto (unless of course it is the Ecu lmao)

Richie