PDA

View Full Version : Under-engine air-guide

nikgallagher
Thursday 10th March 2005, 09:59
Could someone please confirm what plastic pannelling should be lurking under the front of a 96 854? I currently have nothing there to protect the bottom of the rad, oil filter looking thing, and lots of hoses and jubilee clips which are all quite rusty now. Have been offered an 'air-guide' but looks as though this will only cover the rad, and not extend rearwards to stop all the salt/dirt etc from coming up into the engine bay. Any ideas? Ta

Bracer
Thursday 10th March 2005, 10:02
The only panel you should have under the car if this

http://www.volvospeed.com/Pics/repairpics/afterjun00/oilcooler.jpg

The blue out line is the black plastic bottom cover plate, it protects the A/C lines, the bottom of the radiator, and helps direct air. The two yellow arrow are pointing to the ends that are held with 10mm bolts or 25mm TORX one on each side. Right where the blue arrow is a plastic tab that hooks to the bottom of the radiator, just push forward and down. Once you have the end bolts out just pull down and back.

http://www.volvospeed.com/Pics/repairpics/afterjun00/oilcooler1.jpg

Above is a close up of one of the 10mm bolts that hold one end in place

Steve :wink:

nikgallagher
Thursday 10th March 2005, 10:43
Nice one. Picture always helps clarify the situation!

Bracer
Thursday 10th March 2005, 10:49
So I take it this is missing from your baby ?

nikgallagher
Thursday 10th March 2005, 10:57
Yeah, only noticed when I was following the guide to changing the thermostat off Bay 13, and it showed a plastic cover over the rad. A lot of the hose unions and other bits are a bit corroded now, so am assuming it's been off for a while. Shames me that some people treat cars with such contempt!

Bracer
Thursday 10th March 2005, 11:00
Yeah, only noticed when I was following the guide to changing the thermostat off Bay 13, and it showed a plastic cover over the rad. A lot of the hose unions and other bits are a bit corroded now, so am assuming it's been off for a while. Shames me that some people treat cars with such contempt!

:eek:

What about the guide off VF (http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=250)

:wink:

nikgallagher
Thursday 10th March 2005, 11:13
I ... err... used that one too... :wink:
I did actually, and did a search too. Made a list of comments other people had raised to hopefully avoid problems. A bit sad I know, but think it may have saved me some time and stress.

Justin
Thursday 10th March 2005, 17:04
Nik i have a spare one at home, its yours for nothing should you want it, i even have the 10mm nuts for it too.

I could bring it to the next meet etc :)

nikgallagher
Friday 11th March 2005, 08:38
Cheers Justin. I have just sorted one out from a workmate though, so reckon I'll be alright thanks. Might be in touch if it doesn't fit though!

Justin
Friday 11th March 2005, 08:58
No probs ;)

Babybadger
Saturday 19th March 2005, 18:21
You are looking at about £70ish from Volvo dealer plus fitting (I did mine myself , dead easy) and I would recommend it as how much to replace the AC and intercooler .....blown engine....etc... I will dig out the part numbers for you. Be warned I just ordered the air guide and forgot the other bits, the clips the grill that goes in the front etc.

nikgallagher
Monday 21st March 2005, 09:11
Cheers for the info Babybadger, but Justin did the honours and sorted me one for nowt. Hats off to the man! :B_thumb: Fitted it on the weekend and much happier in the knowledge that the underside is fully dressed now! Nice one matey!

Justin
Monday 21st March 2005, 09:34
No worries mate;)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st March 2005, 10:10
Nik
You can have the grill bit that goes in the middle of the tray.(you are coming up for Avon Park??)

Dave

nikgallagher
Monday 21st March 2005, 12:09
Nice one Dave, sounds good mate. I'll be up at Avon Park so that might be a good opportunity for the exchange. Not sure where it will go but I'm sure you can give me some pointers!

nikgallagher
Monday 4th April 2005, 13:38
Nik
You can have the grill bit that goes in the middle of the tray.(you are coming up for Avon Park??)
Dave

Dave, I'm still not sure where to put the grill bit you gave me on saturday. Does it sit inside the tray (where all the oil drips collect) or clip on somewhere else? I recall you saying it needs some clips to attach it properly.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th April 2005, 14:02
Take the tray down - you only need to release one of the bolts and slide it off the clips at the front. In the middle @ the front, there are slots, each side of the undertray. The piece I gave you slides into the slot with the larger gap in that "grill" at the nearside end.

If you look at this photo

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/850r/grill.JPG

you will see the grill under the number plate.

You can use clips or screws to ensure it does rattle around.

Martinr
Monday 4th April 2005, 15:03
Following on from my oil leak thread. Whilst underneath the car I noticed that I too am missing the plastic cover at the front so will be keeping a look out for one.

Obviously the mechanics can't be ar**d to put them back on every time.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th April 2005, 15:07
Scrapyard off any 850.

Martinr
Monday 4th April 2005, 15:10
Planning a run to Salvo shortly. Roof rails topping the shopping list but looks like another item just went on the list.

Cheers Dave

nikgallagher
Monday 4th April 2005, 15:46
If you look at this photo
http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/850r/grill.JPG
you will see the grill under the number plate.

Ah, it goes that way around! Was wondering what purpose it served being in the bottom of that other bit! All becomes clear...

Cheers geez.