PDA

View Full Version : Shudder under hard braking.

Niles
Sunday 5th March 2006, 18:17
My 855 T5 really coming together now after 3 weeks (& a large bill) of MAJOR surgery. Had the tracking laser errrrr....tracked. The cars running Volvos recommended 2.2bar tyre pressures. If I lean hard on the brakes the front seems to shudder & wander, nothing too scary but very noticeable, shocks seem (in my limited opinion) me thinks the car needs new bottom ball joints, Its had new track rods etc during the engine/turbo transplant, this meant the ball joints had to be split to do it, are these things intended for re-use or should i change them, or, am I barking up the wrong tree altogether? Thanks in advance.

After_Shock
Sunday 5th March 2006, 18:32
Sure the discs arent warped?

siamblue
Sunday 5th March 2006, 18:34
Sure the discs arent warped?

Ditto the 280mm discs are prone to warping.

Johnny
Sunday 5th March 2006, 18:38
Yup - I have this problem at the moment too, off to VT for the Brembo discs and Ferodo pads on Monday. Ahhhhhhhhhhh - that'll be better then.
The wobble will only get scarier as time passes, remember to change pads at the same time with new discs!

Vikingxl
Sunday 5th March 2006, 18:43
Johnny what time you going mate i might dop in on my way back from the gym and say hello!

Niles
Sunday 5th March 2006, 18:54
havnt a clue matey, how do I check them?

Johnny
Sunday 5th March 2006, 18:55
Leaving Burton at about 2ish so might be there between 3-4-ish :)
If I can raid my piggybank for enough silver!

Vikingxl
Sunday 5th March 2006, 18:57
Bit late in the day for me but i will see what i can do

marshall_volvo
Sunday 5th March 2006, 18:58
pop the car in the air take off both front wheels (make sure the car is very secure) easy way to tell is look at were your brake pads are were the touch the disc i.e front of the caliper and rotate the brake disc if at any point it touches either brake pad then they are warpped the do the same for the other side.thats one of the easier ways to check

Regards
Wayne

M44K TS
Sunday 5th March 2006, 19:00
just replaced my disca and pads, the discs were warped quite badly, now, absolutley perfect.

blackcurrantGLT
Friday 17th March 2006, 22:10
Need new wishbones!!!! Jack the car up .........wheels off ..... crow bar on the inner wheel arch ....against the strut and try to move the strut back and forward......... if any of the bushes in the wishbone move ........ go to ANDREW PAGE and buy a new pair !!!!!!!!! Problem will go !!! Should cost around £55 each .

Hope this helps

ANDY

Niles
Friday 17th March 2006, 23:39
ok folks, I changed the wishbones & the bushes for polyflexes, no change in the shudder under brakeing, so, new discs required & already bought (if my bank manager reads this im sorry but this cars worth the effort!) I'll fit them on monday & fit my new RS OMP pads alround. This cars lucky to have me save it from the brakers yard. One day I'll list what i had to do to it to bring it up to MOT'ability & to perform the way it duz!!! Am i Mad???!!!! (not im my opinion!)

madness
Saturday 18th March 2006, 09:55
pop the car in the air take off both front wheels (make sure the car is very secure) easy way to tell is look at were your brake pads are were the touch the disc i.e front of the caliper and rotate the brake disc if at any point it touches either brake pad then they are warpped the do the same for the other side.thats one of the easier ways to check

Regards

Wayne

they have to be very warped before this happens surely.
too much runout is something like +- 0.04 mm!!!!

i would not discount the rears being the culprit also. i would advise get the brakes measured for thickness and runout by a garage or put it on an mot brake tester. the vibration should show up on the dials as spikes

Niles
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 14:45
New Brembo discs & OMP RS pads all round. Problem sorted!!! thanks peeps!!!

Johnny
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 19:25
Yup, New Brembo Discs and Ferodo DS pads....... it stopps properly now with no shudder at all. Im sure I can pull a stoppie now! hehe. :haha: