PDA

View Full Version : Seen anything like this before?

chriskay
Sunday 5th March 2006, 15:09
Went out this morning & found the bonnet like this. All layers of paint off, down to the galvanising. No sign of impact damage, but the little mark at
5 o'clock seems to be where the paint had bubbled; tiny area. Will get a quote tomorrow.
Cheers, Chris.

Tomcat
Sunday 5th March 2006, 17:14
Paint stripper perhaps?, either that or brake fluid, we get a few cars through work that have been vandalised and those two are about the only things that would take it back to bare metal like that.

After_Shock
Sunday 5th March 2006, 17:27
Seagull after a very bad take away.

Never saw anything do that to paint before but as mentioned must have been something strong to say the least!

Mrsmopp
Sunday 5th March 2006, 17:29
No sign of anything prior to this morning?

x

Richie-T5
Sunday 5th March 2006, 17:46
dot 3 break fluid would do that in about twenty minutes :( then if it rains it would be washed away no trace, but if it was vandalised i would expect to see runs in the paint too..... if this bonnet has been painted prior to you getting it, it could be summit simple like a bit of grease on the metal, the paint has not clung to the bonnet / panel at that point, water will have got under it, which with current weather has frozen, and popped a patch off ?

just at hought like it sucks big time though, methinks a pannel off to the spray shop :(, pending how old ya paintwork is it will be a pain getting it to match an all (sorry 4 the negativity but i have been here before)

Richie

chriskay
Sunday 5th March 2006, 20:20
Nothing before today, only the slight 5 o'clock bubble. Definitely not chemical; the edges are quite sharp. This is mechanical. I think Richie's right. Water penetration & freezing. The interesting thing though is that the chunk that's come off is uphill of that 5 o'clock defect. I'll see what quotes I get tomorrow. I'm inclined to think a complete re-spray is needed, but I'll see what my local Chips Away says.

chriskay
Monday 6th March 2006, 11:34
Been getting quotes for this. Volvo want £300 +VAT to re-spray the bonnet. They confirm Richie's diagnosis; stone chip, water penetration, then probably froze. Going to have it done by a guy who comes recommended (by Volvo!) for £150. Bonnet has a number of stone chips anyway.
Cheers, Chris.

t5tart
Monday 6th March 2006, 11:46
where abouts is this guy i been quoted £250 to respray mine was thinking of doing it myself but dont relish taking the bonnet off to get it in the workshop

chriskay
Monday 6th March 2006, 13:02
He's in Shrewsbury. He wants it for 2 days. Going in a week on Wednesday.