PDA

View Full Version : Loss of 4wd!! lol

mikezero
Saturday 4th March 2006, 20:36
driving along on friday, as i exited a roundabout, heard a bang come from the front of the car, then noticed after a few miles front wheels spinning like crazy in 1/2/3, seems abit odd i thought, then it dawned on me, the bang sound, was something breaking in the transfer box

anyone else had the transfer box go bang, then no 4wd??

the up side of it is great fun spinning the front wheels everywhere lol

fraz13
Saturday 4th March 2006, 20:46
Ya hooligan lol Imagine breakin that car ya f*nny lol

Hope its not 2 expensive to put right man.....

iGGy
Saturday 4th March 2006, 21:01
Sounds like the bevel gear's gone. Bit of a problem area from what I read.

Vikingxl
Saturday 4th March 2006, 21:15
Gimp!

dicky b t5
Saturday 4th March 2006, 21:17
Oh Dear...That sounds like lots of £££££'s to put right.

mikezero
Sunday 5th March 2006, 08:33
its not going to cost me big bucks!, volvo are paying for it, car still under warrenty! lol

i had a new bevel gear/transfer box fitted 3 months ago(cos of a oil leak issue) ive told by some other s60r owners, that they have had same problem, the shaft that comes out of the gearbox into the transfer box, is weak, the metal is to soft, and ends up wareing away.

so the end result has been they needed a new gearbox!, lol, which must be mega bucks, car goes into garage next week, have wait and see wot they say

Ross9
Sunday 5th March 2006, 09:59
Nasty, glad to hear it was still under warranty, that would have been a serious assault on your wallet otherwise lol.

Nothing worse than a transmission bang to put the ££££ters up you.

Ross

mikezero
Sunday 5th March 2006, 13:01
would be good to get a new gearbox! lol

Ross9
Sunday 5th March 2006, 13:44
you'll need to stop all those 5000rpm launches...tut tut.

Ross

After_Shock
Sunday 5th March 2006, 14:19
Be driving like a granny when your warranty runs out!

mikezero
Sunday 5th March 2006, 19:35

Ross

lol, interesting u should say that!, i have never done a 1/4 mile stlye launch yet, start of gently, then floor it, which will still put alot stain on system

Vikingxl
Sunday 5th March 2006, 19:37
mikezero better sort that dent in the rear bumper at the same time mate!

mikezero
Sunday 5th March 2006, 19:39
Be driving like a granny when your warranty runs out!

to be honest, if u want a realiable car, dont buy a s60r, the things ive had done on this car in the last 12 months, does not make pretty reading!

mikezero
Sunday 5th March 2006, 19:42
mikezero better sort that dent in the rear bumper at the same time mate!

lol. i thought it gave the car more character!, im spending to much time off the road at present, leave it for another time

mikezero
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 00:00
Update - car was in garage getting fixed over last two days

it turns out to be roughly wot i said, to be exact, there's a sleve that joins the gearbox shaft and transfer box shaft together, this sleve is wot wares out, new sleve put on, it has been upgraded, harder metal etc, so should work for life time of car(i hope!), so didnt need new gearbox!

car feels great again with the 4wd driving! lol

cheers

pzorb
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 00:08
Under warranty?

madness
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 10:17

Ross

yeah- i seem to remember somebody snapping a driveshaft. lol

Ross9
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 13:32
lol, interesting u should say that!, i have never done a 1/4 mile stlye launch yet, start of gently, then floor it, which will still put alot stain on system

lol, Jacq had a test drive of an S60R ages ago and the salesman was a bit on the elderly side, she asked him if his heart was ok and then did a proper 1/4 mile 4wd launch away from a set of traffic lights, 5000rpm plus IIRC, I was most amused by this.

Madness, yeah, lesson learned on that one, dont heat tyres up by popping the clutch at 5000rpm, never het the tyres up on any runs since I done that, just roll up and launch it from the line.

Ross

mikezero
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 20:11
Under warranty?

yep under the warranty, thankgod!

After_Shock
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 20:28
There a weird car in many ways, some we have sold just come in for routine servicing and never see them and they never have any faults, the others the faults fill pages!

There not an everyday car as such as are a performance car so stuff does go wrong just seems to depend on the individual car, doesnt seem to be any pattern of bad ones, i.e model years or transmissions etc etc.

mikezero
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 22:25
There a weird car in many ways, some we have sold just come in for routine servicing and never see them and they never have any faults, the others the faults fill pages!

There not an everyday car as such as are a performance car so stuff does go wrong just seems to depend on the individual car, doesnt seem to be any pattern of bad ones, i.e model years or transmissions etc etc.

yep, my one has had everything, u could write war & peace of problems! lol, but i hoping all known issues are fixed now, no more please!, my wife and my friends say its the way i drive it, thats why there's so many problems! lol

the garage did say concerning my fault, that all 05 models on, have new harder sleve.

but after all the problems i still luv driving the s60r, i brought a new digtal camcorder, i will try get some footage of it in action!