PDA

View Full Version : Dash Illumination - Colour Change?

mulletboy2
Thursday 10th March 2005, 01:03
Hiya guys,

So, I went and bought a headunit with pretty blue illumination. I was planning on changing the colour to green to match the dash - it's fairly easy, but will limit the luminescence of the display... so I'm thinking... has anyone tried modding their instrumentation to a different colour? I'm talking EVERYTHING that lights up green in the cabin? If not, can anyone think of anything that won't be possible?

Plan is to add gel sheet (as used in lighting rigs/setups, to get different colours) to the inside/rear of anything necessary, and change bulbs to white, if they're not already?

Let me know your thoughts please - it'll be a lot less dangerous than me pulling everything out just to investigate ;)

Cheers

Mark

glock19
Thursday 10th March 2005, 06:36
This calls for the whole dashboard to be removed ino order to access the meter cluster. Basically alot of mechanical and then some (easy-fix) wirings on the cluster itself. Don't forget the turbo gauge hose (it's easier to remove at the foot pedals).

As for the lamps, red/amber has always been the norm as they tend to be more glaring and could keep the driver attention better. Green on the other hand is the relaxing colour and you don't want that to soothe you into falling asleep at the wheel. Anyway with more-than-adquate power on tap, I doubt snoozing off, is one of our concerns. :D

mulletboy2
Thursday 10th March 2005, 09:46
Snoozing off? I've been driving 3 hours a day almost every day since I've had Nookie, and snoozing off has never even crossed my mind!

How long would you think it'll take to remove everything necessary mate, for someone who's never done it before? Are these workshop manuals on fleabay worth a shot?

I think I'll go with the blue dash, to match this: http://www.logon.gr.jp/images/01-3_rs-d7x.jpg :)

Bracer
Thursday 10th March 2005, 09:57
I'm looking into this myself, so any help would be appreciated :wink:

mulletboy2
Thursday 10th March 2005, 10:15
Bracer - the new headunit arrives next friday, and hopefully the gel sheet samples will turn up between now and then. I'll then have to get the dash out and start playing, although it'll be a weekends only job, so it'll probably be a month before I have a go properly. I'll get pics/etc.. and post them, along with any relevant explanations when done :)

Bracer
Thursday 10th March 2005, 10:29
Good man, I look forward to your write up and pic's etc :wink:

glock19
Thursday 10th March 2005, 11:25
Maybe the following picture can help you. Becareful of the mounting at the sides (where the door is covering the dash). There is like a vent from the dash to the door. This one tends to break often.

Bracer
Thursday 10th March 2005, 11:47
Just added a new Knowledge/How to information thread Here (http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=839)

:wink:

Justin
Thursday 10th March 2005, 18:00
Took me an 50 minutes from start to finish, i needed to change 2 bulbs in the speedo.....its very easy and unless you have a passenger airbag theres no need to disconnect the battery either.

It is a doddle, i went into the job at 10am, thinking i would have a long day, i was gutted that it took less than an hour, so i burnt 20 quids worth of fuel to fill the gap :)

mulletboy2
Thursday 10th March 2005, 20:07
ROTFL @ Justin. Gutted :dgrin:

Bracer - you're my hero :D Cheers mate! The gel sheet samples turned up this morning. I have to decide which colour to go for, but there's a HELL of a lot of colours to choose from. I like the idea of "£££££££ Amber" (yes, that's really the name!).. there are a few nice luminous greens, pinks etc... could have some real fun here :D

If you think you're going to do this too, I'd definitely recommend getting a samples booklet from www.rosco.com - they have the largest range I could find, and the free sample is excellent compared to the "choose a name you like" approach that everywhere else offers. Oh, and it got here in 2 days too.

Cheers

Mark

Luke
Thursday 10th March 2005, 20:19
What about the rest of the dash lights? There are a bunch of bulbs in the centre console aren't there?

I have replaced a couple of bulbs in my instrument cluster before but haven't even attempted to get behind the centre console.

I have to say I really looking forward to seeing the results of this dash illumination colour change, of all the cars I've driven I still think VW blue is the best dash illumination colour, but BMW/Audi red would really suit the T5.

mulletboy2
Thursday 10th March 2005, 23:03
Well, blue is the plan at the moment. Hopefully as close a match to the headunit as I can get, but I agree, that VW blue is something else!

Anything that can be gel sheeted will be. Anything that can't, I will look at different coloured bulbs, or getting translucent blue perspex cut by a mate (maybe).

I'm not really sure what it will entail entirely, which is why I need to get the thing taken apart to do a thorough check. I'll then order up whatever I need, and hopefully get it done within a few weeks of that.

Cheers

Mark

glock19
Friday 11th March 2005, 00:47
Bracer,
That car in the pictures, it's yours ? Left hand drive ?

JUDGENINJA
Friday 11th March 2005, 02:28
Replacement dash board face
If People are interested I can get what you require specifically printed to your requirements. Anything can be super imposed so it only your imagination that limits the end results.

To fit...(Based on F*rd)
Your dash board is then stripped down and the orignal cover is removed leaving a clear perspex backing which the new dials stick to. Depending on Volvo dashboard type if required a very thin piece of clear perspex may be used to create a new backing plate.

It can be quite expensive and I've known of a basic Metro dash to cost about £45.00 plus p+p.

Of course I've written this and not spoken to the chap who makes them to see if he still does them to order.

He only lives down the road from me so if there's enough interest I'd be willing to coordinate a group order. (Maybe "WWW.VOLVOT5.CO.UK" logo placed descreetly on it somewhere...?)..

What I would need is a dashboard to stripdown and give to him to use as template for scanning, touching up and editing to our requirements. I'm looking at the one currently on Ebay for the computer unit so I don't mind paying out unless someone has one spare they are willing to donate.... :wink:

Anyway if you're interested show your interest here and PM me and If there are a few we may be able to get the price down...

JUDGENINJA
Friday 11th March 2005, 02:35
P.S. centre concole lights are really easy to change..

Pull off the dials to reveal the screws
Undo screws.
Front plate almost drops off there's a smaller plate that holds the bulbs in.
Remove plate.
Put in new bulbs and do reverse....

Centre console bulbs were the only bulbs I've needed to replace so far.....

Although I've never found out does the dash board dimmer slider illuminate.....cos mine don't and never has....

Bracer
Friday 11th March 2005, 10:41
Bracer,
That car in the pictures, it's yours ? Left hand drive ?

No mate SAM's RHD, there just pics I found for the topic :wink:

mraldonnelly
Monday 14th March 2005, 12:33
Just added a new Knowledge/How to information thread Here (http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=839)

:wink:

Can I just add to that "how to"?

If you want to remove the whole dash top rather than just bend up the drivers side, all you need to do is remove three more torx screws. One is located in the vent on the far side of the dash (between the dash and door - identical to the one that you've just removed from the drivers side) and two just under the dash top where the glove box shuts.

Removal of these three extra screws allows the whole dash top to be removed thus giving much better access to the instrument cluster etc.

Regards

Andy

Bracer
Monday 14th March 2005, 13:30
Cheers Andy, I've added your comment to that page :wink:

Luke
Monday 14th March 2005, 19:29
Anyway if you're interested show your interest here and PM me and If there are a few we may be able to get the price down...

I'm interested!

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 17th March 2005, 02:26
Thanks to those that have shown interest.

I will hopefully find out soon if we have a doner dash to use as the template. Since the chap will hold all the rights to what he creates, he appreciates the fact that his portfolio will expand the person that donates the face plate will recieve a discount on their new dash.

The above offer is also open to any other dash that he does not currently hold and the good news is that he does not have any Volvos in his current list as he has mainly done F*rds and Ren*ults.

There is no point is posting too much info now so once I recieve a sample I'll get it posted as soon as I can then we "as a group" can decide on the final design to be printed.

mulletboy2
Friday 18th March 2005, 00:30
I'd also be interested in one mate.. particularly if he could do everything so it lights up blue? Would be a lot easier than me messing around with gel sheets. Any idea how long this is likely to come to fruition?

Cheers

Mark

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 19th March 2005, 01:00
I'll get a sample as soon as we get a doner dash.....
I was thinking of a blue one as well. I think the sample will be manufactured in white so I'll probably end up with white.

I've just been in contact with him, he's gonna host some sample pictures for us. It'll be for a r*nault/F*rd though but you'll get the rough idea.

Do people think it's worth the manufacture of a non turbo one....?