PDA

View Full Version : My H beam Rods

spesh
Friday 3rd March 2006, 19:55
And this after noon a was mostly fitting me new toys to my car!!!!

Vikingxl
Friday 3rd March 2006, 20:01
Lovely!

t5tart
Friday 3rd March 2006, 20:14
blimey o'riley spesh
how much they set u back ...........

spesh
Friday 3rd March 2006, 20:15
:bud:
blimey o'riley spesh
how much they set u back ...........
ENOUGH, but sure it will be worth it.

t5tart
Friday 3rd March 2006, 20:17
well was kinda lookking for a budget?? ams slowly coming round to the idea of new rings etc and want to maybe replace the internals at the same time ....for future mods

may even get another block to strip rebuild

racer
Friday 3rd March 2006, 20:45
That's a man's rod you've got there Spesh! What's it made of?

spesh
Friday 3rd March 2006, 20:53
Drop froged steel. Yea It's a mans rods, don't know why I got them, lol.

Tomcat
Friday 3rd March 2006, 20:55
Jeez Spesh, when yuo buy a rod your buy a ROD!, they look like the stuff they used to construct the fourth road bridge!. :jaw:

t5tart
Friday 3rd March 2006, 21:00
where u get um

web site

racer
Friday 3rd March 2006, 21:06
> Drop froged steel
Nice. Glad to see you've not lost it completely and mortgaged the house for titanium ones!

siamblue
Friday 3rd March 2006, 21:44
Wow Spesh nice ones, so what's next to blow in the weak link gearbox is that really up to the job?

Gary.

volvotuning
Friday 3rd March 2006, 21:54
Wow Spesh nice ones, so what's next to blow in the weak link gearbox is that really up to the job?

Gary.

:slap:

The gearbox is superb. It can take over 2000 bhp. So can the rest of the transmission.

Adam.

BlackBeast
Friday 3rd March 2006, 21:58
LSD should be the next thing :) so you can put all that power to some use.

siamblue
Friday 3rd March 2006, 22:00
:slap:

The gearbox is superb. It can take over 2000 bhp. So can the rest of the transmission.

Adam.

2000 hp? normal T5 gearbox can blow at upto 350 whp, the S60R m66 is good for 400 whp before it can blow up,

Redbrick
Friday 3rd March 2006, 22:46
2000 hp? normal T5 gearbox can blow at upto 350 whp, the S60R m66 is good for 400 whp before it can blow up,

I had a distinct whiff of sarcasm in Adams post... :bog: lol

siamblue
Friday 3rd March 2006, 22:52
I had a distinct whiff of sarcasm in Adams post... :bog: lol

Shame really as this could've be a great thread, seeing Spesh is building one hell of a motor, and we can all learn from what he is doing.

Gary,

volvotuning
Friday 3rd March 2006, 22:56
Shame really as this could've be a great thread, seeing Spesh is building one hell of a motor, and we can all learn from what he is doing.

Gary,

It's not sarcasm. It's positive thinking. I am not allowed to have any negative thoughts about this car so I have to think positive thoughts about it all the time. So, the transmission won't break. :)

Think positive everyone!!!!

Adam.

siamblue
Friday 3rd March 2006, 23:11
It's not sarcasm. It's positive thinking. I am not allowed to have any negative thoughts about this car so I have to think positive thoughts about it all the time. So, the transmission won't break. :)

Think positive everyone!!!!

Adam.

Got ya now Adam lol, 2000 was a bit high tough, even extrac's can't hold that much lol.

Gary.

volvotuning
Friday 3rd March 2006, 23:21
Got ya now Adam lol, 2000 was a bit high tough, even extrac's can't hold that much lol.

Gary.

Actually, come to think of it, I reckon the stock box probably would hold 2000 bhp but it would have to be with an engine running at about 30,000 rpm!!!!

Adam.

Redbrick
Friday 3rd March 2006, 23:22

Gary.

You had me worried then... :slap:

madness
Saturday 4th March 2006, 08:58
they look like you will need to modify the block.
on the standard ones there is bugger all clearance at the bottom of the bores. and those are much wider.
how much is needed to cut out??

i assumed you already had those when you got the pistons :slap:

spesh
Saturday 4th March 2006, 15:27
no didnt have to touch the block, put them all in, and turns fine.

madness
Saturday 4th March 2006, 16:04
gary - gearbox will be fine. others have more power and just an uprated clutch with standard box.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 4th March 2006, 18:52
Drop froged steel. Yea It's a mans rods, don't know why I got them, lol.Less bendy than the ones made of inferior amphibians? Rebit! Rebit! LOL :haha:

spesh
Saturday 4th March 2006, 19:30
Less bendy than the ones made of inferior amphibians? Rebit! Rebit! LOL :haha:
lololol, opps my spelling is so bad, lol.

mikej
Saturday 4th March 2006, 21:38
Ok mush i know you ain't got 500+ (wishful thinking) but what bhp did you eventually get after yer rebuild mate? have you still got it lol ,thought i noticed you selling off all the bits but could be wrong? :)

After_Shock
Sunday 5th March 2006, 12:47
Spesh how many hours does it take to replace the rods?

spesh
Sunday 5th March 2006, 14:04
Got a full exhaust system mike, thats all i got for sale, rods change is full engine strip down, i would say about 8-12 hours depends on tools etc, thats full strip down, rods out, take pistons off rods, re attach pistons, put in , and the rest of it.

After_Shock
Sunday 5th March 2006, 14:16
Thanks for that, who do you get to change them for you? Wheres the best place to buy them from just to replace standard rods for uprated items?

spesh
Sunday 5th March 2006, 18:35
Changed them myself, all engine work has been done by myself no body else has touched the car, so that makes me exra proud!!!! I had mine from Sweden, but VMS in the states do a set, just not for the S60R.

siamblue
Sunday 5th March 2006, 18:41
The rods are about 200 each if you want to know,

Gary.

After_Shock
Sunday 5th March 2006, 19:30
The VMS ones seem prone to supply problems from the US boards, did you get them from ATECH then as there about £200 each after postage etc?

volvotuning
Sunday 5th March 2006, 20:15

Which, if I remember correctly, isn't much more than a standard Volvo one.

Adam.

macV70R
Sunday 5th March 2006, 20:30

Gary.

Heres the rods.

http://www.volvomotorsports.com/

And they work out at £91.00 each before shipping.

I am sure he said shipping was about £80, but I could be wrong

Mac.

spesh
Sunday 5th March 2006, 21:33
Heres the rods.

http://www.volvomotorsports.com/

And they work out at £91.00 each before shipping.

I am sure he said shipping was about £80, but I could be wrong

Mac.

Them rods are for the 2.3 engine as the 2.5 S60R ones are different

macV70R
Sunday 5th March 2006, 21:56
Them rods are for the 2.3 engine as the 2.5 S60R ones are different

Sorry bout that mate! got mixed up :slap:

Mac

After_Shock
Sunday 5th March 2006, 22:14
Spesh you may know, is it correct that there are a number of different size 2.3 rods/pistons, obviously not a major difference just a very minor size difference depending on the engine batch etc? Some people speak to say there is but the others say that theres no difference at all!

mikej
Sunday 5th March 2006, 22:17
Spesh what do you estimate your current bhp is after all your hard work and what are you hoping for eventually from your 850 once all mods have been carried out ?? :B_steerin

spesh
Sunday 5th March 2006, 22:26
Spesh you may know, is it correct that there are a number of different size 2.3 rods/pistons, obviously not a major difference just a very minor size difference depending on the engine batch etc? Some people speak to say there is but the others say that theres no difference at all!
from 1994 to 2006 there are only very small changes in the design of rod and piston for the 2.3 T5 but all are interchangeable, crank and piston pin same size on all rods and pistons, as I had 2001 T5 running gear in my car when I bent a rod.
Would like to say a power figure mike, see when she is on the rollers, dont wanna get me hopes up.

After_Shock
Sunday 5th March 2006, 22:36
Thats helpfull spesh thanks for the info, think just going to go with a rod upgrade in the car as not wanting mega bhp just a much better mid and low end than what can run on the standard internals!