PDA

View Full Version : New Member - want to upgrade

Cool Hand
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 20:41
Hi everyone,

Bought a '05 T5 estate in blue last week, with 137k on the clock.

Mechanically it is excellant, cosmetically a bit scruffy. To be honest I originally got a cheap (£1200) 2nd practical car, but have completely fallen in love with it! My other half can't work it out.

I've bought new T5R wheels, valeted the interior (absolutely mint) and have dent master arriving in the morning.

I want to look like the T5R, and am in the process of ordering a new bumper from Tomcat, and looking for any other accessories (spolier?) to add??

I am also considering a Ric upgrade to 280bhp only (95 Ron & cheaper). Also, even the standard 225 bhp seems a bit wayward. Now, dont get me wrong I am used to speed (I'm into motorbikes) but under hard accelration I seemto have to wrestle to keep it in a staight line, and at speed (100mph +) it seems to move about a bit. I think it is more than torque steer. The new wheels / tyres have helped massively, but does anyone have any suggestions. A passenger wouldn't notice, it's more of a vague feeling through the steering wheel - maybe they are just like that???

Also, does 280bhp/305bhp make a BIG difference to driveability??

Appreciate your reply.

Thanks

Luke (Cool Hand)

siamblue
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 21:10
Might be your trackings that's out?But mine tram lines like mad but at all speeds not just upto a certain point.

Tallpointy
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 21:31
Getting the tracking redone really sorted mine out (still trams a bit though).
Some places do the check for free.

siamblue
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 21:36
Getting the tracking redone really sorted mine out (still trams a bit though).
Some places do the check for free.

I was charged £25 for mine but it was laser tracked on all 4 wheels.

Cool Hand
Thursday 10th March 2005, 00:21
Thanks guys, I'll get the tracking checked out.

So what does 300bhp feel like? BIG difference? Worth it?

Ivan
Thursday 10th March 2005, 00:29
Getting mine done tomorrow - give me a couple of days to 'play' and I'll give you my thoughts!

Cool Hand
Thursday 10th March 2005, 00:32
Good Luck Ivan,

Look forward to some feedback. Something about putting that kind of power through a 10yr old makes me worry, but it does feel so quiet I'm sure it would be ok.

You going for the 280bhp or the full 305bhp?

Cool Hand

Goof
Thursday 10th March 2005, 00:49
Hi everyone,
I am also considering a Ric upgrade to 280bhp only (95 Ron & cheaper)....
I fancy the 280bhp - the sort of mileage & traffic I'm doing doesn't warrant the extra money for the 304bhp. - Can be upgraded later for something like £150+vat ish, so there's always the option if it's "needed"!

siamblue
Thursday 10th March 2005, 02:32
The full version is fun though,Nice to have extra on tap :rainfro:

Bracer
Thursday 10th March 2005, 09:31
Yep sounds like worn suspension if your getting mad torque steer.

And Full Fat 304 Rica is what you'll want if your into bikes + you'll never want to get back on one :hidesbehi

Speak to VT about your needs and they will ease you through the process :wink:

Steve

Mrsmopp
Thursday 10th March 2005, 10:25
304 everytime for me!! The thing with a T5 is that you always want more power. I went from stock and was happy with the power for a couple of weeks, to an MBC and I was happy with the power for a couple of weeks, to the full fat RICA (which I am still more than happy with) but am now finding I am wanting even more power!!! :dgrin:

x

Bracer
Thursday 10th March 2005, 11:06
I'm almost happy :eek:

Almost I said :shifty:

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th March 2005, 11:10
If the steering is flukey on full power it is most likely that you have one or more knackered bushes - most likely on the front wishbones. Tired or knackered suspension components will not help - such as top mounts.

Was that a typo about your car being an '05 T5?

:welcome:

BTW my old boss was called Paul Newman - as such had the same nickname.

swordy21
Thursday 10th March 2005, 11:14
Might be your trackings that's out?But mine tram lines like mad but at all speeds not just upto a certain point.

How can you tell the difference between tramlining and torque steer? Mine wobbles about a bit under hard acceleration, especially when I am trying the standing 1/4 down the A4, but then there are some huge lorry induced gullies there as well.

Also under breaking I get it pulling to the left slightly, nothing bad, but would like it to be sorted. I also have a slight knocking in the front O/S suspension, well not so much knocking more like a metally/rubbery hard squeek, you can hear when hitting speed bumps. The top of the shock rotates on this side but not the other. Do I need to replace? See below. May be safest. No indication on tyres of tracking probs nor any indication of CV joint or bearings going either.

Cheers

See Here (http://www.jonbanks.me.uk/images/zoom/PKUVBG/suspension1.JPG)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th March 2005, 11:16
Sounds like your top mounts are on their way out.

Bracer
Thursday 10th March 2005, 11:20
I agree, and think you'll find most of the components will need replacing.

Top Mounts
Lower Wish Bones (Controll Arms)
Anti Roll Bar Drop Down Links

That should give you zero torque steer and 99% reduced tram lining.

swordy21
Thursday 10th March 2005, 11:30
Thanks guys. Both sides or just O/S? Any idea of cost?

RICA Upgrade may have to wait now.

Cheers

Bracer
Thursday 10th March 2005, 11:51
Thanks guys. Both sides or just O/S? Any idea of cost?

RICA Upgrade may have to wait now.

Cheers

Rule of thumb is, when replacing any suspension components they should be done in pairs :wink: