PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel wobble

flying brick
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 19:36
on my 850 t5 steering wheel wobbles around 4 inches at slow speeds {up to 40 mph } after that 40 mph upwards its fine any ideas?

Andy
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 19:37
on my 850 t5 steering wheel wobbles around 4 inches at slow speeds {up to 40 mph } after that 40 mph upwards its fine any ideas?

What do you mean by 4 inches?

Richie-T5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 19:49
if your wheel has 4 " of wobble / free play it (your car) should be condemned, there should only be 13mm free play of travel on rack n pinion systems, and 75 mm on box systems (get it checked) the vibration is likely to be imbalanced wheel, if it comes on between 40 - 60 mph (on 16 " wheels) if it is continuos it could be a bleb on the tyre, check the tyre for damage, lumbs n bulges and see if the tread is distorted ? (have you bumped any kerbs recently ?) if you jack up the car grab the top and bottom of the wheel, if there is wobble get somoene to press the foot brake, if it disapeers its wheel bearings, if it doesent it is ball joints !.... at the same time check the track rod ends, with side to side movement, best do this now or you will scrub tyres off if it is even slightly out buddy :)

Richie

flying brick
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 19:50
the steering wheel turns 4 inches to the left then goes back 4 inches

Richie-T5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 19:54
change the wheel asap and try again i would say major buckle, or summit is going very wrong on the front end !!!! do not leave this have a look at it ASAP !!! do the checks i said. when you got the tyre off av a good look at the condition of the tyre, if you are unsure about wear pattern take a photo of it and i will help you best as i can mate :)

out of interest you havnt had any emergancy stops of late have you ? it could be a warped disc too (so many variables, without actually seeing car)

Richie-T5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 19:56
point of note dont just check the one side, if the car has anti roll bars etc, what happens to one side effects the other. go get it jacked up dude ;)

flying brick
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 20:01
its in for its mot tomorrow so that should rule out a few things

Liddo
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 20:13
its in for its mot tomorrow so that should rule out a few things

:slap: Not a good time for that ;) Sounds like a buckled wheel / tyre to me

Richie-T5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 20:22
it will cost you 40 quid and a failed mot to find it out at the mot station, get it sorted prior or u will be burning money bro

racer
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 22:05
This isn't something silly like lose wheel nuts is it? Nova did exactly this once after someone forgot to do the torque wrench thing on the front left. Thought something major had broken!

bedlam
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 22:53
It sounds like a tyre about to give up. Check it right away - it's probably not safe to drive down for MOT anyway.
To move the steering wheel by 4 inches, something is dagerously wrong!

bedlam
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 22:55
or even "dangerously" wrong

racer
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 22:55
Yeah, should have said, I'm in the "DON'T DRIVE IT" camp here!!

Vikingxl
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 23:10
I agree do not drive it until its been looked at!

flying brick
Friday 3rd March 2006, 01:04
thankyou everybody for the ideas its been like that for about a month now and im still alive infact i was doing 135mph on my privite road last week oops will keep you posted....cheers

t5tart
Friday 3rd March 2006, 01:20
i hope you are not on the same private road as me
imo thats irresponsible with something soobviously wrong

sorry just my opinion

Jod T5
Friday 3rd March 2006, 06:00
i hope you are not on the same private road as me

where are all these private roads...lol i wanna go :slap:

RPM
Friday 3rd March 2006, 20:36
I take it he's not dead yet???

racer
Friday 3rd March 2006, 21:12
:hilarious :hilarious :hilarious

Nice one mate!!

RPM
Friday 3rd March 2006, 21:23
I used to own a '66 VW camper van which had a steering box.

This had about 1.5 - 2 inches of play. That was scary!!!!!

Any more and you're just guessing where you're steering!!!!

I hope its all been fixed.

flying brick
Monday 6th March 2006, 19:51
update on car failed mot on friday because of faulty droplink on offside front steering rack etc all ok mot guy says if droplink is fixed and i still have fault it must be a dodgy tyre thanks all for input yes im still here