PDA

View Full Version : Syptoms of Steering Rack Failure????

Liddo
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 16:15
Ok, I thought Id start a new thread, only cos the other one was getting a bit big.

This morning, it was WELL cold, and my steering, although now straight, was very intermitant (PAS wise) It'd go stiff, then free up, then stiffen, then free up. Not enough to crash, but to frighten me a little :eek:

Now, is it just time to replace the fluid, or the rack?????

Anyone had similar experiences before I shell out for a rack???

madness
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 16:34
fluid level?

sounds like it was low. is it noisy ?

John
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 17:00
Do these things have a steering coupling with UJ, sounds very similar to a problem I had on a Granada, was the joint that connects the steering column to the rack.

SaffronC70
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 17:03
My C70 has never gone in a straight line ! lol.

I'd check your fluid as suggested, cheaper than a rack !!!

Chris

Liddo
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 17:26
fluid level?

sounds like it was low. is it noisy ?

Nope. aint noisey, quite quiet in fact, for one of these :D

madness
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 18:04
theyre only noisy with no grease on the lockstops.

Straker
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 18:59
[QUOTE=Liddo]

This morning, it was WELL cold, and my steering, although now straight, was very intermitant (PAS wise) It'd go stiff, then free up, then stiffen, then free up. Not enough to crash, but to frighten me a little :eek:

Could be UJ problems, have you recently had any tracking re-adjusted?

Also PAS fluid doesn't like the cold it goes all thick and sticky. If the problem went away as the car warmed up then it could be this. I'd change the fluid to be on the safe side.

Don't go shelling out for new racks until the basics have been checked.

Liddo
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 19:40
[QUOTE=Liddo]

Could be UJ problems, have you recently had any tracking re-adjusted?

Also PAS fluid doesn't like the cold it goes all thick and sticky. If the problem went away as the car warmed up then it could be this. I'd change the fluid to be on the safe side.

Don't go shelling out for new racks until the basics have been checked.

Straker, Yes, I had it done yesterday, and come to think of it, it feels worse today!! UJ??? Universal Joints??? What have they done????

Cheers

Paul

PS, it only seems in one position, having drove it again tonight. At about the 11oclock point it sticks, then moves on :(

Richie-T5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 21:00
Ok, I thought Id start a new thread, only cos the other one was getting a bit big.

Now, is it just time to replace the fluid, or the rack?????

Anyone had similar experiences before I shell out for a rack???

check the universal joint these wear with age n use, and seize give it a good spray with wd40, jack the car up so wheels off the ground then work the oil in by turning left and right (all the way through the rack) if it frees up put some greese on and see how you go. the old ford xr2`s always did this. the symptoms being what you described :) also what has already been stated. if your tracking has been done by a ££££e garage ie do all the adjusting on one wheel. this would effect the UJ as it will be using it at an angle it has never been used in hence trying to turn the seized bit of the joint ;)

Richie

Liddo
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 21:05
Cheers guys, thanks a lot :) :B_thumb: :hail:

Straker
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 21:46
Straker, Yes, I had it done yesterday, and come to think of it, it feels worse today!! UJ??? Universal Joints??? What have they done????

Cheers

Paul

PS, it only seems in one position, having drove it again tonight. At about the 11oclock point it sticks, then moves on :(

They have not set the UJ's properly. when the UJ's are at an angle they dont feel smooth because they have peaks of high and low torque throughout the rotation. They UJ's are always used in pairs to balance these torque peaks out so the steering feels smooth.

My guess is they have rest the tracking and somehow misaligned the UJ's which is why you are feeling the "lumpy" steering. Take it back to the garage and tell them to do it properly. If the steering was fine before then the UJ's won't have worn over night they are just not aligned properly.

Not wanting to show off but I am a mechanical engineer and I work for Ford. My old job was steering systems :B_blite:

Good luck.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 23:20
I have all the bits should you need them - steering column, UJ and rack. I really hope it doesnt come to that though.

Liddo
Saturday 4th March 2006, 19:00
Reeto,

Went back to National Tyres, and they "realigned" the wheels, and now the stiff feeling has gone completely and it feels normal again. Im gonna grease every moving part I can see though, and change the PAS fluid, but, at least I dont need a rack :D

Straker
Sunday 5th March 2006, 11:40
Reeto,

Went back to National Tyres, and they "realigned" the wheels, and now the stiff feeling has gone completely and it feels normal again. Im gonna grease every moving part I can see though, and change the PAS fluid, but, at least I dont need a rack :D

Sounds to me as if they have cocked something up just aren't telling you.

Still all's well that ends well!

Liddo
Sunday 5th March 2006, 18:04
Sounds to me as if they have cocked something up just aren't telling you.

Still all's well that ends well!

:D Also found PAS fluid level low too :slap: All topped up now :D