PDA

View Full Version : Ebay trouble

S60D5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 09:26
I've used eBay for nearly 100 trouble-free transactions, but now have a small problem.

A guy won a small value item from me (£15 + P&P) on the 13th February. I didn't hear anything for a couple of days, so I emailed him and he responded with an email stating he didn't have enough money to pay for the item and asking if I would wait til his next pay-day (28th February).

Normally I wouldn't do this - but he has a 100% positive feedback, which admittedly is only 8, but as I was going on holiday I wasn't too worried about a couple of weeks.

I emailed him on the 28th to remind him to pay, and he responded that evening telling me he couldn't get Paypal to work for him.

I've given him 48 hours (ends 8pm tonight) to pay via Paypal, or until Wednesday 08/03/06 to pay via cheque. I've also politely told him that if I have no payment either Paypal or Cheque by Wednesday I will file a claim against him in the County Court (which I will do).

Is this fair, should I give him more/less leeway?

The Flying Banana
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 09:32
You want to give yourself that hassle for 15 quid???????? Tell him you have given him reasonable time to sort it out but he hasnt so no hard feelings but you will relist and there will be no bad feed back on either side.

S60D5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 09:38
You want to give yourself that hassle for 15 quid???????? Tell him you have given him reasonable time to sort it out but he hasnt so no hard feelings but you will relist and there will be no bad feed back on either side.

Its not really much hassle to file a claim agains someone. I just hate people that bid on items and don't pay - why should they get away with it? Its a legally binding contract - as you say, it's only £15 so hopefully he'll see sense and pay up rather than having a possible CCJ against his name.

meffs
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 09:42
I agree with FB...stick a ccj against someone for £15!!:wtf:

John
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 10:10
Have sold hundreds of items on Ebay and once in a while you get a non payer, just leave negative feedback and claim back the sellers fees, Ebay is Ebay Im afraid.

fraz13
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 10:16
Get a grip man, Re-list it n calm down with the legal action for £15, That just makes you look like a complete £££££, Its not like he's got the goods....

The Flying Banana
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 10:22
Its not really much hassle to file a claim agains someone. I just hate people that bid on items and don't pay - why should they get away with it? Its a legally binding contract - as you say, it's only £15 so hopefully he'll see sense and pay up rather than having a possible CCJ against his name.

Is it legally binding...what papers did he sign when ' creating ' a nickname on ebay?
I have had a few people bid on things and not paid, sent a mail to say they changed their mind, its cool, relist the item and thats it. Equally i have had a couple of items paid for and not collected....I am sure you can afford to let it go especially if you are getting 970 miles from a tank of diseasil!!!!

t5tart
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 10:39
yes it is legally binding

ebay have to have all of his details
and if u went to an auction house and bid on something without the money you havent signed anything but when the hammer falls you have entered into a contract

tbh
I have done thousands of transactions on ebay
and it really is not worth the hassle of even mailing a npb just report it to ebay they get a strike you get your fees back and you can relist it
if it reasells then u get the original listing fee back as well

S60D5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 13:24
It's legally binding and I have his Name & Address.

I'm thinking he is genuine, as he does email me back whereas a non-payer would probably just stay silent or not come up with reasons why he hasn't paid etc.

I don't really care if it makes me look a tit for taking legal action - it wont cost me anything as I'll do it through the companies solicitors - they often deal with sub £50 amounts anyway so all I will do is sign a form and job done.

At the end of the day, he bid for my item and if he then decided he didnt want it then he's at fault and I'm well within my rights to take legal action if he doesn't pay.

Obviously, I'm hoping he will realise that a CCJ is not worth the hassle of £15 and just pay up, if he isn't a geniune bidder - which I think he is.

jimmyc
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 15:54
i tried to pay for a item via paypal and i hadnt enough funds , so payed by cheque, give him some time he may have had same prob as me with paypal,sure he will pay rich :B_steerin

S60D5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 16:18
i tried to pay for a item via paypal and i hadnt enough funds , so payed by cheque, give him some time he may have had same prob as me with paypal,sure he will pay rich :B_steerin

Yeah - I'm giving him ages cos he seems genuine! :)

We'll see how it goes, its the first "issue" i've ever had with an eBay sale, they've always been paid within 12/24 hours with no hassle whatsoever!

siamblue
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 17:17
I have been involved with Ebay for over 3 years, done many a deal only ever had 4 or 5 problems, mainly when i was buying,
But once was when the person couldn't pay, so i claimed my fee back NCB and relisted,
I am with Fraz here and think you lead a very shallow life to raise a CCJ against someone for not buying your item,
Maybe one day someone will hit you from a great height when/if you ever do something wrong,

Karma,

Gary.

wacky racer
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 17:56
Spot On, Siamblue !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 18:02
Its very harsh S60D5, very harsh indeed.

File a complaint, get your fees back, re list it and be happy with that.

Otherwise what will you get? Nothing other than knowing you've given someone a CCJ for £15 on your conscience?

Vikingxl
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 18:15
It all seema a little pointless over £15 just relist the item and forget it its not the end of the world!

splatt
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 18:43
Know how yo feel as I was let down on a £5000 deal on e bay.....(motorbike sale) cos the ££££ couldnt afford the insurance.
I couldnt be arsed to go through the long winded county court crap so re listed it and sold it to a bloke who lived not too far away for more :worship:
If u dont get the chq, re list, slag him off (well...make your point) on feedback after reclaiming your fees which will be 'credited' to your account.

What was it anyway....might want to buy it myself....

t5tart
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 19:17
remind me never to offer to buy anything off him
no matter how good the deal

Andy
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 19:22

lol, steady! :P

desperatedan222
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 20:13
Just gone thro the same deal today, Non-paying bidder, for all of £43. Just relist, report it to e-bay, they get a strike & deal with it. Leave no feedback unless they do. You are bound to get a few tossers who don't divi up, but thats the nature of e-bay.
LIFE IS REALLY JUST TOOOOOO SHORT MAN !!!!! :B_blite:

splatt
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 20:53
get this......

Got an item 4 sale....buy it now only....got someone watching it... :slap::wtf:

t5tart
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 21:16
seeing if a better deal comes up b4 they comit probably i get that alot

S60D5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 22:50
I have been involved with Ebay for over 3 years, done many a deal only ever had 4 or 5 problems, mainly when i was buying,
But once was when the person couldn't pay, so i claimed my fee back NCB and relisted,
I am with Fraz here and think you lead a very shallow life to raise a CCJ against someone for not buying your item,
Maybe one day someone will hit you from a great height when/if you ever do something wrong,

Karma,

Gary.

You all seem to be missing the point...

If he turned round to me and said:

"Sorry mate, I bid by mistake, I can't pay, I'll give you the fees and lets forget it"

I would drop it, but he carries on with the whole

"oh yeah, I will pay, just give me more time... and more time... and even more time". (which may or may not be true).

If he wants to play that game, then so will I.

At the moment I don't want to put a non paying bidder thing on him, as he says he will pay up - I'll just wait until Wednesday to see if he has paid by then.

I was expecting to be told that I had given him too much time to pay, lol, not that I was being too harsh!!

Anyway, The ball has started rolling, our solicitors have been instructed to mail him a letter on Monday giving him 7 days to pay before facing debt recovery proceedings.

Oh and btw Siamblue - I can't see why he would bid if he couldn't pay for it? Whats the point of that? Its like me bidding for a Ferrari 355 GTS and then saying I can't afford it - why waste my own and the sellers time doing that?

S60D5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 22:56

LOL.

Fair play, but provided you pay me within a reasonable time I will go out of my way to get any item to you as soon as I can (I often pay more for postage than I charge so I can get it to my buyers quicker than they're expecting) - I don't have a 100% positive feedback from over 100 people for nothing.

But don't pay, then the full force of the Law will hit you - I guess it comes from being a Law student. "Its the principle that counts" is drummed into our head all the time. It wouldn't matter if it was £15, £150 or £1500.

Vikingxl
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 23:00
Listen s60d5 peoples circumstances change i have been in a position more than once where overnight i have been totally pennyless and would struggle to find £15 it does happen and its not easy to admit to having no money.Just out of interest how much is your solicitor going to charge for this letter and then the costs of debt recovery?Is it really worth it let it go mate its £15 not even a night out and to be honest it might be the least of this chaps worries right now.

S60D5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 23:06
Listen s60d5 peoples circumstances change i have been in a position more than once where overnight i have been totally pennyless and would struggle to find £15 it does happen and its not easy to admit to having no money.Just out of interest how much is your solicitor going to charge for this letter and then the costs of debt recovery?Is it really worth it let it go mate its £15 not even a night out and to be honest it might be the least of this chaps worries right now.

I do see your point, but I fail to see why someone would bid on something without having the funds to pay for it.

No idea how much the solicitor charges, we throw hundreds of debt recovery actions to them every year so it'll come through on account somewhen, won't cost me personally a penny, though.

We'll see how he decides to play it, like I said, if he turns round and admits he doesn't want it / can't afford it or whatnot, I'll let it go... but if he wants to keep playing a game with me, I will do the same with him.

shaun850
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 23:08
ahh the joy's of ebay.
you have had 100 good sale's and just one non payer? id say that's good going.
is it really worth the hassle for £15 quid? it's ebay, it happen's...

Matt30462
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 23:09
For God's sake! Send me your email address and I will send you a Paypal payment. You can then post positive feedback for the buyer, draw out the money and spend it on some crap from Ebay and we can end this pointless thread and start talking about something interesting like torque settings on a T5's swazzle coupling.

S60D5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 23:11
it's ebay, it happen's...

Yes, but it shouldn't. People that don't pay up or just mess others around need teaching a lesson sometimes. Just because it happens, doesn't mean to say it should become "accepted".

I wouldn't bid for something in an auction house, then decide later I didn't actually want it - there would be a contract and the seller would be perfectly within their rights to take legal action against me.

Vikingxl
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 23:11
For God's sake! Send me your email address and I will send you a Paypal payment. You can then post positive feedback for the buyer, draw out the money and spend it on some crap from Ebay and we can end this pointless thread and start talking about something interesting like torque settings on a T5's swazzle coupling.
Lol well said mate!!

Justin
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 23:13
It ends here

Oh Darren..............