PDA

View Full Version : headlamp bulb upgrade

wacky racer
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 17:49
Does anyone know of a replacement headlamp bulb that is better than standard.
I know there are lots of different ones on the market but which are better.
I dont want no silly looking blue ones.
I know most people will say i should get HID but im not sure about those yet, with people saying they get flashed alot.
So which are the best?

__________________________________________________ _______________
________
PENNY STOCKS TO WATCH (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

Vikingxl
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 18:03
I put H7 Osram Silverstar Headlight bulbs in mine seem a lot brighter

BigJC
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 18:35
Got Osram Silverstars in mine as well, headlamp + mainbeam + fogs! Very good and a lot cheaper than HID's!

After_Shock
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 18:45
PIAA are the ultimate non HID lights and give a great choice of different colours, however are not cheap but do seem to last forever!

Vikingxl
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 19:09
Replying to the thread reminded me i need some new bulbs so im going to try these instead
H7 Philips Power 2 Night GT-150
Will let you know how i get on with them asap.

wacky racer
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 21:23
Thanks alot.
Let us know how you get on.

__________________________________________________ _______________
________
PREVIA (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Previa)

RPM
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 21:53
how much are you talking for these type of bulbs?

BigJC
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 21:57
I got the H7 headlamp and mainbeam for £14 per pair and £11 for the H1 fogs from a well known auction site.

Vikingxl
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 22:06
No comment but not cheap if they are any good i will reveal what i paid for them

Cloverleaf
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 23:39
Hopefully this is of some help. I use the Halfords +50% bulbs in my vectra and they seem to be pretty decent ( nothing can make up for the awful reflectors). I have been on holiday the last few weeks so can't say whether the offer is still on but there was a buy 1 get 1 free offer. It possibly finished at the end of February as they tend to run in 3 month blocks. But definitely worthwhile looking at.

Jod T5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 06:51
Currently i am running h1 bulbs
100w in the headlights and a
whopping 130 w in the main beam
and before anyone says about overloading circuits wiring etc :talktohan
i live out in the wilds of north essex and let me tell you they light the country side up like daylight, sure when the car is clean i get the odd flash (they soon realise their mistake when i blip the two 130's) but generally they are 150% better than the 55/60....still yet to have a mot with them tho.....

MattB
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 08:57
i live out in the wilds of north essex and let me tell you they light the country side up like daylight, sure when the car is clean i get the odd flash (they soon realise their mistake when i blip the two 130's) but generally they are 150% better than the 55/60....still yet to have a mot with them tho.....I've seen 100w about, but where did you get the 130w from?? :shifty:

Jod T5
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 09:16
I've seen 100w about, but where did you get the 130w from?? :shifty:
funnily enough from a petrol station near where i live, they sell bugger all else tho lol
you could try.....
http://cgi.ebay.ie/H1-Rally-Headlight-Bulbs-130-Watts-Pair_W0QQitemZ8036119483QQcategoryZ72235QQtcZphoto QQcmdZViewItem
they are good........

MattB
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 12:21
Thanks Jod, I'll be sure to check them out.

Vikingxl
Monday 6th March 2006, 09:05
Ok fitted the H7 Philips Power 2 Night GT-150 bulbs this morning and they seem pretty bright and much whiter in the day light will have to wait till tonight for a proper look though.

MattB
Monday 6th March 2006, 10:12
Have just received some 130w H1's for the main beam and 7500k hid 'stylie' H1's for the headlights (+ a pack of 'snazzy' sidelight bulbs) - I hope to fit them later today and will let you all know the results. :sinner:

Azza
Monday 6th March 2006, 12:37
Ok fitted the H7 Philips Power 2 Night GT-150 bulbs this morning and they seem pretty bright and much whiter in the day light will have to wait till tonight for a proper look though.

Have you managed to try these out in the dark yet ? I'm looking at upgrading my bulbs at the moment and not sure about these ones. I've heard good things about the "Ring" makes as well...

Azza

JimboT5
Monday 6th March 2006, 12:55
i live out in the wilds of north essex and let me tell you they light the country side up like daylight, sure when the car is clean i get the odd flash (they soon realise their mistake when i blip the two 130's) but generally they are 150% better than the 55/60....still yet to have a mot with them tho.....

What make of 100W bulbs are you using? I replaced my dipped beam with Philips Vision Plus H1 bulbs and they made a small improvement but they are still total pants. I was tempted by the 100W bulbs but put off by the legal implications but I'd say it's more dangerous to drive about with rubbish dipped beams, I may get some after my MOT.

Jod T5
Monday 6th March 2006, 18:00
jimmy, the 100w are halfauds 5.00 off road jobbies and the 130w are from my local garage....any motor factors should do the 100w ones and the others are can be found on the web
they do make some very ordinary headlights glow tho
diff part is putting them in....hand scraping time again....

JimboT5
Monday 6th March 2006, 18:18
jimmy, the 100w are halfauds 5.00 off road jobbies and the 130w are from my local garage....any motor factors should do the 100w ones and the others are can be found on the web
they do make some very ordinary headlights glow tho
diff part is putting them in....hand scraping time again....

Cheers for the info mate, I shall get a pair and try them soon. I know what you mean about fitting them, I had to unbolt the bonnet catches last time because it was so awkward! Luckily the dipped beam are slightly more accessible. :bricks:

Vikingxl
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 18:55
Well went out last night and the bulbs seem pretty good the light is a lot whiter and everything looks a lot clearer but might just be me.

Azza
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 20:14
Excellent, i guess they got their good ratings for something then!

Azza

MattB
Tuesday 7th March 2006, 21:06
Have just received some 130w H1's for the main beam and 7500k hid 'stylie' H1's for the headlights (+ a pack of 'snazzy' sidelight bulbs) - I hope to fit them later today and will let you all know the results. :sinner:7500k bulbs are great!
Slightly better vision, but main difference is a white light with a blue tint - coupled with the 'free' sidelight bulbs they sent, my new headlights look great!!

However, struggling to fit me new 130w's to the main beam. Glass part of bulb is slightly fatter than the old H1's and won't quite fit :grumpy: . Will try and 'modify' the bulb housing slightly so that the bulb will fit. Not sure if its worth arguing the toss with the supplier and sending them back??