PDA

View Full Version : Weird feel through steering on C70!!!

Liddo
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 11:10
I'll try to describe this as best I can.
Having had the C70 a week now, it feels REALLY strange steering wise.

1, It seems to want to go the way the road does. Like, if the road is pitched to the right, the car wants to go right! Like I've gotta hold it slightly left, just to keep in a straight line.

2, When cold, the PAS is a little stiff, and sometimes takes a while to react when turning

3, When on full lock to the left, i get a knock, but I THINK thats the steering lock stops need greasing, as I can see the yellow plastic on the stops. (PS, which grease do I use).

Thats it for now. Just doesnt feel right compared to the S70. Feels weird

Anyone had similar issues???

Cheers

Paul

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 11:37
Get the tracking checked. This will also highlight any issues with track rod ends you may have. You may also need to get the steering rack check for leaks/excessive play. There also may be issues with the bearings but you'd almost certainly hear that as a rotary grinding noise. You can check the rack by jacking up the car and holding the road wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock and trying to move it. There should be no play/movement.
First things first though - get the tracking checked.

Liddo
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 12:01
Cheers Dave :B_thumb:

Straker
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 14:01
Any difference in tyre size between the two cars specifically width. That can lead to tramlining and steering pull as the road surface changes. basically the more tyre in contact with the road the more the steering is affected by it.

BlackBeast
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 14:05
And if you do need a steering rack, theres one on ebay at the moment.

Liddo
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 15:40
Any difference in tyre size between the two cars specifically width. That can lead to tramlining and steering pull as the road surface changes. basically the more tyre in contact with the road the more the steering is affected by it.

Hi Straker, Yes I've got 17's on the Coupe, BUT, I had 18's on the S70 a few months ago, and went back to 16's, but it didnt feel like this does. Its hard to explain. Im pretty good a spotting even the slightest of problems with my cars, and this just doesnt feel right, like.........the wheels wanna go in opposite directions sometimes :confused: I think I'll take it for an alignment 1st, and keep and eye on that rack, just in case ;)

splatt
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 16:03
swap your front wheels over, cures loads of niggles.
tyres wear unevenly and this can cause it to wander.
(cured a car of this only yesterday!!)

PAS is always dodgy when cold, especially at this time of year.
Check the fluid, should be a ruby red colour, if not try changing it before you do anything else.
Dark fluid is a sign of contamination or a worn rack.

Knocks are impossible to diagnose, if full lock it could be a CV or as you say the stop.

Liddo
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 16:27
swap your front wheels over, cures loads of niggles.
tyres wear unevenly and this can cause it to wander.
(cured a car of this only yesterday!!)

PAS is always dodgy when cold, especially at this time of year.
Check the fluid, should be a ruby red colour, if not try changing it before you do anything else.
Dark fluid is a sign of contamination or a worn rack.

Knocks are impossible to diagnose, if full lock it could be a CV or as you say the stop.

Hi Splatt, I changed the fluid on my S70 the other week, just before Joseph on here picked it up, so I know what to do now. A bit messy, but a job worth doing. The tyre wear looks ok as they are quite new, so I'll get the alignment done this weekend, and go from there. Its deffo not CV related, as it doesnt do the constant knocking whilst moving on full lock, just the odd bump/knock now and then (pain in the arse ;) )

BlackBeast
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 16:29
Top Mounts!?!

Liddo
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 16:36
Top Mounts!?!

Ooohhhhhhhhhh! :slap: How much are they????

mikej
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 16:48
Top mounts are common on the t5,s but i have to admit i have always changed them due to knocking noises from the front suspension not steering wander , there is always a chance but i would get your tracking checked first as dave has suggested as this sounds very much like tracking to me.Liddo i think the last top mount i had to buy cost me £18.50 so don't panic. :)

Liddo
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 17:01
Top mounts are common on the t5,s but i have to admit i have always changed them due to knocking noises from the front suspension not steering wander , there is always a chance but i would get your tracking checked first as dave has suggested as this sounds very much like tracking to me.Liddo i think the last top mount i had to buy cost me £18.50 so don't panic. :)

Phewwwwwww :D

Engineer
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 17:04
Just read all the posts and would do 4 wheel alignment (tracking as Dave said will show up any wear etc. if a good workshop does the job) and lockstops first mate ( I use high melting point grease sticks like glue to a blanket) and then take it from there. Good luck.

Liddo
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 19:04
Cheer Engineer ;)

JUST been to National Tyres, and the tracking was out, and now it feels normal again :D BUT, now the steering wheel is off center and its buggin me :slap: lol
I then went to the local ASDA car park, and put her on full lock both ways, backwards and forwards, and I get a slight knock every now and then from the left hand side, only on full lock, so Im gonna get some of that sticky grease at the weekend, and do the stops.
Now, all's Ive gotta sort, is my sticky rear brakes :slap: and then she's sorted :D The brakes clamp on, on the rear, if she's been stood for a few days, and when i say clamp, i mean CLAMP!!!!! Haynes manual here i come :D

PS, thanks for all the replys and suggestions :B_thumb:

Engineer
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 19:22
Cheer Engineer ;)

JUST been to National Tyres, and the tracking was out, and now it feels normal again :D BUT, now the steering wheel is off center and its buggin me :slap: lol
I then went to the local ASDA car park, and put her on full lock both ways, backwards and forwards, and I get a slight knock every now and then from the left hand side, only on full lock, so Im gonna get some of that sticky grease at the weekend, and do the stops.
Now, all's Ive gotta sort, is my sticky rear brakes :slap: and then she's sorted :D The brakes clamp on, on the rear, if she's been stood for a few days, and when i say clamp, i mean CLAMP!!!!! Haynes manual here i come :D

PS, thanks for all the replys and suggestions :B_thumb:If the wheels out then they ain't allowed for rear tracking offset or steering rack was not centralised prior to adjustment, the rear tracking is adjustable on T5's same as my R as far as Im aware, most won't touch this though so they should have compensated by taking into account the offset. The only other thing that affects steering wheel misalignment after 4 wheel alignment is normally wear in front/rear bushes etc. or worn rear tyres, you did say your fronts are ok so I have discounted them. Take it back mate and quote me.

Liddo
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 20:37
If the wheels out then they ain't allowed for rear tracking offset or steering rack was not centralised prior to adjustment, the rear tracking is adjustable on T5's same as my R as far as Im aware, most won't touch this though so they should have compensated by taking into account the offset. The only other thing that affects steering wheel misalignment after 4 wheel alignment is normally wear in front/rear bushes etc. or worn rear tyres, you did say your fronts are ok so I have discounted them. Take it back mate and quote me.

Cheers, I will do ;)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 20:41
And if you do need a steering rack, theres one on ebay at the moment.Ahem! - I have one too (for sale) - but it would appear to be surplus to requirement. Anyone wanna buy it anyway??? LOL

MattB
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 22:01
Hi Splatt, I changed the fluid on my S70 the other week, just before Joseph on here picked it up, so I know what to do now. A bit messy, but a job worth doing.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but any pointers on changing the PS fluid??

Liddo
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 09:32
Ahem! - I have one too (for sale) - but it would appear to be surplus to requirement. Anyone wanna buy it anyway??? LOL

I might have it off ya Dave, how much mate??

Liddo
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 09:42
Sorry to hijack the thread, but any pointers on changing the PS fluid??

If your cars a 97-99

Jack your car up TOTALLY off the ground at the front.
The return tube on the right hand side needs to be pulled off (Jubille clip)
Make sure you've got a bucket below the car, and a jar in your hand.
Put cloths on your alternator too.
Take the top off the fluid reservoir
Put the tube in the jar, and get someone to start the car, and turn the sterring wheel lock to lock, holding it at for lock either way.
Get them to do this until the tubes start to spit, then top up with
new fluid, and get friend to go lock to lock again. You may have to do this
several times until the fluid comes out REALLY clean and new.
Once it does, put the tube back on the resevoir and tighten the jubilee.
Again get collegue/friend/lover to pump wheel lock to lock, holding it at full lock for about 10 secs each time.
I got air in mine, and it was a RIGHT pain to get out, but once it came out, it was ok. You can tell if you've got air in it, by looking at the lovely bubbles frothing in your resevoir :D

Hope this helps, and I hope Ive not put anything wrong in it :D

MattB
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 19:14
If your cars a 97-99

Jack your car up TOTALLY off the ground at the front.
The return tube on the right hand side needs to be pulled off (Jubille clip)
Make sure you've got a bucket below the car, and a jar in your hand.
Put cloths on your alternator too.
Take the top off the fluid reservoir
Put the tube in the jar, and get someone to start the car, and turn the sterring wheel lock to lock, holding it at for lock either way.
Get them to do this until the tubes start to spit, then top up with
new fluid, and get friend to go lock to lock again. You may have to do this
several times until the fluid comes out REALLY clean and new.
Once it does, put the tube back on the resevoir and tighten the jubilee.
Again get collegue/friend/lover to pump wheel lock to lock, holding it at full lock for about 10 secs each time.
I got air in mine, and it was a RIGHT pain to get out, but once it came out, it was ok. You can tell if you've got air in it, by looking at the lovely bubbles frothing in your resevoir :D

Hope this helps, and I hope Ive not put anything wrong in it :DCheers Liddo - great write up.
However - I forgot to mention - car is 1996!
Can't be much different tho??
:hidesbehi

Liddo
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 19:37
Same pump mate. Keep that resevoir topped up, or the air will get in :(

Andy
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 19:42
Dry steering .... ouuuuu!!! lol

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 23:24
I might have it off ya Dave, how much mate??
You can have the rack for £110 + shipping.

MattB
Friday 3rd March 2006, 09:42
Same pump mate. Keep that resevoir topped up, or the air will get in :(
Thanks mate! :B_thumb: