PDA

View Full Version : nuts

craig
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 22:59
thats the metal type , my hand brake shoes on the near side decided to strip themselves yesterday and cause all sorts of strange and worrying things to happen but my dad (ex mechanic) soon diagnosed it correctly as hand brake shoes ,so i fetched some new ones this morning and changed em in about 15 minutes but when i came to change the other side (may as well as id bought em) the bolts which hold the caliper on were rusted like hell and and the socket rounded em like butter . so does anyone know of a magic way of getting em out or is there a tool ican borrow to get a hold of em ? i dont wanna split the caliper for obviouse reasons . my dads answer was "oh dear im not doin it its freezin out there" if anyones got any ideas id appreciate it .thanks
.. craig.

BlackBeast
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 23:02
Hammer a socket on but make sure its one size smaller than the actual nut.

craig
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 23:16
i tried that for about 20 mins and no joy ,doesnt help havin only 6 inches to swing the hammer with your left hand , but thanks anyway

Andrew
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 23:20
try something like a gator socket .... (http://www.endeavorproducts.com/ggrip/ggrip.html)
Make sure you stick plenty of penetrating oil on it for 10 mins prior to trying to undo....

6inches?
get it up on some stands. Your dad must have some - if not argos do a nice cheap set with a RAC coloured trolly jack.

stuAWD
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 18:40
As Andrew says, penetrating oil is the answer before you try moving them with any tool, leave overnight if poss.