PDA

View Full Version : Lambda Light Again!!

nikgallagher
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 09:22
I recently had the lambda light come on (96 854), because - I thought - that the thermostat needed changing and it had been running rich for a couple of weeks. Changed the thermostat and engine is running at proper temp all the time now, so got the code read (2-3-2) and deleted so the light went out. Happy Nik again. However, this morning approx 50 miles after the light was reset, it came on again!! Any ideas gratefully welcomed, and does anyone know what the code 2-3-2 actually stands for?

Bracer
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 09:25
2-3-2 Lambda adjustment; For 1994 and later, adaptive heated oxygen sensor control / long term fuel mixture too weak at idle

Sound like you need check out your fuel and ignition system.

nikgallagher
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 09:52
Hmmm. Sounds expensive. Looks like the heated sensor is just an unplug, unscrew and replace job. Would it be worth doing this as a first stab? Have seen from previous posts that the sensor itself is quite expensive though.

Justin
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 10:00
232 is long term fuel trim as bracer said, it will 99% of the time be caused by a vacume leak, check the elbow that goes into the left of the manifold, (if yours has one), if not it will be a vac hose sucking or blowing air thats giving the ecu the wrong signals from un metered air, hence causing the fault code because its supplying to much or to little fuel.

Check your hoses ;)

nikgallagher
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 10:15
Thanks for the info. I will have a look at all the hoses around the intake manifold. Has always made a whooshing sound on accelerating (during nat asp running) but I thought that was just an auto thing. Just seems strange that it has happened exactly the same time as changing the thermostat.

siamblue
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 10:37
Thanks for the info. I will have a look at all the hoses around the intake manifold. Has always made a whooshing sound on accelerating (during nat asp running) but I thought that was just an auto thing. Just seems strange that it has happened exactly the same time as changing the thermostat.

If it happened at the same time it must be in what ever you moved,
Do the 850s have 2 Vacuum elbows like the S/V70s ?

nikgallagher
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 11:18
I did change the air filter at the same time as the thermostat. Could the problem be coming from there? Didn't have to disconnect any hoses in either case though.

Bracer
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 11:27
See here (http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=280)

:wink:

nikgallagher
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 11:37
Now there's an answer! I bow in the presence of your greatness. :worship:

nikgallagher
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 14:06
Have just been out to check the vac hoses and sure enough the hose elbow leading in to the manifold has perished and broken away from its mounting.
I can't thank you knowledgable people enough. To have such a wealth of experience on hand must be saving all us pilgrims thousands of pounds each year on head-scratching Volvo garage estimates. Keep up the good work, and another thousand thanks for the pearls of wisdom you have shared with me.

Bracer
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 14:16
Your welcome, always glad to help :wink:

Justin
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 16:54
That will 100% be the cause then mate.

20 minute job, ive done 6 of them now so a dab hand......curved bottle nose pliers, long screwdriver and a scratched had, you will be ok :)

Bracer
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 17:34
That will 100% be the cause then mate.

20 minute job, ive done 6 of them now so a dab hand......curved bottle nose pliers, long screwdriver and a scratched had, you will be ok :)

You do realise you going to be asked to make that 7 now dont you :hidesbehi

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 17:46
A bit of elbow grease never did anyone any harm

I'll get my coat :hidesbehi

Bracer
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 17:48
A bit of elbow grease never did anyone any harm

I'll get my coat :hidesbehi

I've never minded greasing myself up to the elbo for someone else :eek:

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 17:49
Where is that pukey smiley!!!! :eek:

x

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 17:54
Did no-one get my joke about the elbow or was it just not funny :shifty:

BTW - The idea of Steve getting slimed up for action had me worried too!

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 18:09

The latter LOL!!! Just kidding!!

x

Bracer
Thursday 10th March 2005, 08:55

BTW - The idea of Steve getting slimed up for action had me worried too!

The joke :shifty: No it just weren't funny :hidesbehi

And worried, you should be :sheep:

nikgallagher
Thursday 10th March 2005, 09:57
Did you have to take the power steering pump off to get access to the clamp on the manifold? Seems quite tucked away, even with curved pliers. Also, where does the other end of the hose go? Thought it would go straight to the ECU but seems to disappear in to the bowels of the engine.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th March 2005, 11:24
Getting it off is the easy bit! (And no removing the pump is not necessary). as I rememeber, I think removing the rad pipe feeding into the t stat housing can improve access.

Bracer
Thursday 10th March 2005, 11:35
http://www.volvospeed.com/Pics/repairpics/afterjun00/EndElbowR.jpg

The above picture shows the most common failure. It is tucked back out of sight and most people don't even know it's there. To find it on the passenger side of the intake manifold, look down below the radiator hose that goes from your thermostat housing to the radiator. The elbow is on the end of the manifold inboard of the power steering pump. If you take a bungee cord and wrap it around the radiator hose and pull it up on top of the power steering pump you can get a better look at the elbow. You can fit your hand in there and gently feel the elbow to see if it has any holes or it's soft. You can't see it in the picture but there is a green clamp on the hose where it connects to the manifold. I use a 12" pry bar and several long needle nose pliers to gently pry the elbow off the manifold, and then the long needle nose pliers to work the elbow off the plastic line. It is a tricky operation and if it is your first time, the easier way is to move the power steering pump out of the way, which will give you unrestricted access to the elbow.

:wink:

nikgallagher
Thursday 10th March 2005, 12:41
"I use a 12" pry bar and several long needle nose pliers to gently pry the elbow off the manifold."

12" pry bar sounds like something you'd use for breaking and entering. SEVERAL long needle nose pliers makes me think I may need several pairs of hands too. Reckon it'll be one of those "came off fine, but a slippery swine to refit the new one."

Bracer
Thursday 10th March 2005, 12:46
LMAO

You iz a funny guy.

Be brave I'm sure it will go fine, and at worst take off the pump :wink:

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th March 2005, 15:28
If you weren#t so far away I would do it for you!

Bracer
Thursday 10th March 2005, 15:29
If you weren#t so far away I would do it for you!

There's that LOVE again :wink:

nikgallagher
Thursday 10th March 2005, 16:48
Appreciate the offer anyway Dave! :)

Justin
Thursday 10th March 2005, 18:21
Ok, just to clarify, Hardest part (after doing 7) is getting the retaining clip off....its a bitch :(Basically you can remove the pas pump and it does make it easier, however removing the pas pupm is harder than doing the elbow so i never bothered.There is an electrical plug to the left, its the T-stat wiring, move it out of the way or your hands will bleed. Then using your fingers bend the clip that holds the rubber hose onto the manifold so that you can get the pliers onto it, its hard graft but possible, then yank it off, remove excess rubber.

Then, the pipe that you have hanging loose....pull the injector rail cover off by pulling towards you, feed the pipe with the split rubber hose up behind the injection rail, it gives you that extra inch to play with (ooo errr)

Using a stanley knife cut the old rubber off the plastic vac hose, DO NOT PULL IT, you will snap the plastic hose for sure, and then you really are in the ££££e....get a bowl of hot water and stretch the new elbow pipe at one end, use a pen or something else about the diameter of the manifold connector, bigger if you can get one. The non streched end of the elbow will easily go onto the plastic vac hose.....when on, feed the pipe back to its original place and then attach it to the manifold :) If i were you i would use any old vac hose, and make it a few inches longer, makes life soooo much easier :)

nikgallagher
Friday 11th March 2005, 09:51
Cheers for the inside angle Justin. Am going to be tackling it tomorrow, so nice to know about the warm water etc. One thing though - It feels like the non-manifold end of the vac hose doesn't surround a thinner plastic tube like elsewhere, but goes inside a larger diameter section of flexible hose. Is this normal, or has someone 'modified' the set-up? Was tempted yesterday to just pull that bit out, as I need to show the dealer what size the hose is, but think I'll approach with more caution now!

Justin
Friday 11th March 2005, 09:57
Nik, that is just a foam sleeve to protect the pipe from manifold heat, you may need to cut it back when doing the job aswel :)

Sorry forgot that bit :(