PDA

View Full Version : Diy Guide To Removing Electronic Throttle Module

ammo1981
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 00:10
Can anyone please provide a step by step guide on removing/cleaning this part? cheers

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 09:44
why do you want to remove and clean it?

ammo1981
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 20:42
ya. is this worth it? am planning on doing it on the weekend.
maybe........ it could cure the ETS light. It only comes on if driving slow/ steady, when you zoomin in it...no sign watso ever.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 11:29
I very much doubt it. When the ETS starts the fail - the bits that dont work are the sealed potentiometers at either end. Access is tricky as the module hangs upside down on the front of the inlet manifold. There are 4 bolts around the tubular portion of the ETM (See pic)

http://www.bba-reman.com/images/volvo.gif

the pots are the black bits at either end and it is the internal contact surface that degrades overtime.

Still think the first course of action is to get it properly diagnosed i.e. OBDII connection & get the DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) read.

Cleaning the butterfly valve will do very little IMHO as it is an electronic fault.

You may be lucky - the DTC's may highlight some other sensor fault, which will mean you dont need a new ETM.

If you still think removing the ETM and cleaning it will help - access to the bolts is only possible from underneath the car.

SaffronC70
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 16:49
Hi Ammo, I took mine off and cleaned it in about an hour - you can access it all from the top after removing the airbox feed; being an engineer does help though, lol.

Agree with Dave though, sounds like a electrical thing (not being able to pick up subtel movements etc).

Chris

ammo1981
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 20:25
cool, i'll get a diagnostic done first. cheers guys.