PDA

View Full Version : question about computer safety modes ?

Richie-T5
Monday 27th February 2006, 21:36
if i have a problem with my ABS does the computer on the car limit how much boost goes into the turbo ? just when the ABS light is on i can barely get half boost, yet whenit isnt on it goes 3/4 ? is this coincidence, is my boost problems more likeley to be elbow on the vacume pipe or summit ?

John
Monday 27th February 2006, 21:43
When I had my problem with the ABS and Traction light on, car drove power wise the same, so you probably have a fault elsewhere.

Andy
Monday 27th February 2006, 22:25
if i have a problem with my ABS does the computer on the car limit how much boost goes into the turbo ? just when the ABS light is on i can barely get half boost, yet whenit isnt on it goes 3/4 ? is this coincidence, is my boost problems more likeley to be elbow on the vacume pipe or summit ?

Rich,

Need to read your fault codes and check all vacuum lines.

Vikingxl
Monday 27th February 2006, 22:40
I think the boost is only really controlled by the ecu

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 08:54
ABS ECU controls the brakes - I am not convinced about it tailing off power. I can fix the unit if you want? http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224

Richie-T5
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 17:07
Dave, i emailed you a while back on the contact that is on that thread, can you either pm me / email me a price so i can whip it off and get it down to you asap !!!! the abs pump is going nuts at slow speeds when breaking, so it needs attn asap :)

Andy am itchin for the reader to come ;) can anyone tell me where the reader plug point is for a 96 N, 855, i believe you checked under the bonnet Andy but the ports as per 95 and previous are not there.
i am going to replace all vacume pipes and elbow coz they look very very tired. the elbow which goes into the manifold is crushed. i really want the engine bay sortid so i can move funds onto rear wheel bearings.

also Andy, Uncle is checking if he has any tint left on the big roles, if not we will have to decide on a shade and go halfers as it 8nt cheap. ;)

Jod T5
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 18:20
[QUOTE=Richie-T5]
i am going to replace all vacume pipes and elbow coz they look very very tired. the elbow which goes into the manifold is crushed. QUOTE]

i think you will find this to be a significant issue....top tip remove coolant hose and block thermostat with rag...heat new elbow in hot steam from kettle so it expands..will save lots of time and a scratched to pieces hand....
you may also find that the beather pipe to the other end of the elbow (pcv) may snap as they get very brittle so be cautious or if you are clumsy like me have a bit of hosepipe around which is a great sleeve...lol

Jod T5
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 18:23
ABS ECU controls the brakes ]
dave is spot on...the abs module has no effect on the performance of the car, the modules break down usually due to dry joints (wd correct me if i am wrong).

ripper
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 20:06
I had my ABS ecu repaired by Wobbly several months ago.

I also found that the boost had dropped considerably whilst the ABS ECU was not on my car, as soon as i put it back on the boost went straight back to normal.

Richie-T5
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 22:05
the reason i suggested it was the Audi quattro (a8) used to have similar system with lambda sensor on exhaust, it detected that the cat was not functioning propperly and limited revs to 3000rpm. it was just a thought ?

Jod, as per my other thread, i would appreciate it if you could tell me how to replace the elbows with the samco pipe and i will route it around the engine. so i can do away with them it is a bad design without a doubt..

Wobbly D. like i say i will be sending you the ecu buddy, just giz ya addy

cheers again folks

Richie

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 09:53
dave is spot on...the abs module has no effect on the performance of the car, the modules break down usually due to dry joints (wd correct me if i am wrong).
You are not wrong

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 09:53
the reason i suggested it was the Audi quattro (a8) used to have similar system with lambda sensor on exhaust, it detected that the cat was not functioning propperly and limited revs to 3000rpm. it was just a thought ?

Jod, as per my other thread, i would appreciate it if you could tell me how to replace the elbows with the samco pipe and i will route it around the engine. so i can do away with them it is a bad design without a doubt..

Wobbly D. like i say i will be sending you the ecu buddy, just giz ya addy

cheers again folks

Richie
I sent you all the info you need last night.

Richie-T5
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 18:00
cheers Dave, i will remove it this week end, should be with you by monday.ish :)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 20:06
That will be no problem - I will expect it soon.