PDA

View Full Version : Rear Exhaust bracket - MOT fail?

Dacvolvo
Monday 27th February 2006, 11:51
Hi, Folks

My S70's booked in for it's MOT with Kwik Fit tonight.

I checked the car all over at the weekend and the only thing that's wrong is the rear Exhaust hanger which has rusted off.

Is this a MOT fail?

If so, is there anywhere I can buy a replacement instead of waiting for one of the auctions to end on Ebay?

Cheers

Dac

meffs
Monday 27th February 2006, 12:27
Yes, it will fail MOT as the exhaust isn't secure. I had the same problem with mine, either get one from a main stealer or get two bars welded on (as i did) so it will pop back into the hanger.

meffs

aeroresh
Monday 27th February 2006, 12:50
MOT at Kwik Fit eh?

You'll be lucky to drive out without new tyres, shocks, brakes, exhaust and wiper blades! :slap:

splatt
Monday 27th February 2006, 13:18
1. Examine the condition of the whole exhaust system, including the silencers and mountings, for security, deterioration and completeness

2. With the engine running
a. check the exhaust system for leaks

Note: A durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound
b. assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle.

a. A part of the system missing or excessively deteriorated

b. an exhaust system mounting missing, or In such condition that it does not fully support the exhaust system.

Note: An alternative mounting device is acceptable providing the system is secure and the fixing is not likely to fail prematurely-

a. A major leak of exhaust gases from any part of the system

Note: A minor exhaust leak from, for example, a connection joint or a pin hole, is not a Reason for Rejection

b. a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition.

The green bit will get you out of trouble if you can fabricate something in time but Quikfit WILL try and sell you a new one.. :P

Issue Date: June 2002

Dacvolvo
Monday 27th February 2006, 13:48
Cheers, Folks

Guess I'll be re-booking the MOT for a few days time - I'll order the bracket from Ebay.

Dac

MattB
Monday 27th February 2006, 18:17
b. an exhaust system mounting missing, or In such condition that it does not fully support the exhaust system.

Note: An alternative mounting device is acceptable providing the system is secure and the fixing is not likely to fail prematurely-

The green bit will get you out of trouble if you can fabricate something in time but Quikfit WILL try and sell you a new one.. :P

Issue Date: June 2002
UPon inspecting my car pre-mot last summer, I too noticed that the hanagr had broken. So, I went to great expense and fabricated a hook from a metal coat hanger. This was only intended as a temporary measure and had a feeling it would still fail the mot. - Good news! it didn't and is still going strong now!!

Having said that, I think the fixing bracket is only about £20???

M44K TS
Monday 27th February 2006, 19:07
my rear bracket has came off the exhaust, holds it up, just needs a tac weld to secure it, it passed the mot with that.

Dacvolvo
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 10:00
Bought one off Ebay about 20 minutes ago - £20 and it should be here in the next few days.

Other than that, there's nothing wrong with the BEAST!

Do the S70s have any other weak points that normally show up on the MOT?

I had Volvo do the rear brakes 6 months ago (Just normal wear & tear) and other than that, I've never had any problems.

madness
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 22:54
only really anti roll bar links.

and bulbs!!!!!!

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 23:40
I think I'm going to upset someone.....
Partsforvolvo have got them :

Exhaust hanger (http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=104_668&products_id=3849)

Dacvolvo
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 09:38

Exhaust hanger (http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=104_668&products_id=3849)

ha ha ha - Fantastic. I'll be adding that link to my favourites.

Car passed it's MOT with flying colours last night - I did a temp fix with a piece of metal. Woo Hoo - And no, decided not to take it to Kwik Fit afterall, just went to the local MOT garage.

t5owner
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 14:05

Exactly what i have on the rear of my zorst bit of a tight fit to get the rubbers back on (i cleaned mine until they looked like new) but they do work

Cheers

stuart

Dacvolvo
Saturday 4th March 2006, 13:22
Fitted the bracket this morning - took all of 3 minutes to fit it. :funkybana