PDA

View Full Version : 850 Rear Main Crank Seal

TONBRAY
Sunday 26th February 2006, 14:27
Hi fellow Volvo lovers,

Unfortunatly by beloved 2.5 10v 850 has started to let me down :frown: It appears to have developed an oil leak from the rear main crank seal...!

Is this a common issue? and more to the point does anyone have any ideas of cost to get it replaced? Looks like an engine out job to me which is a little to much for me to attack myself.

The car is still drivable and the leak is only minor at the mo, but after a long trip the oil blowing back onto the cat creates an alarming smell and you can see the oil all over the boot.

While this leakage is a bugger it has given me the idea opertunity to swap it for a V70 T5 (R if I can find one) I am having consience issue about selling the car private. So anybody who has any ideas on the repair costs and if it's worth the hassle i'd be glad to hear from you.

Tonbray

P.s. I love the look on chav's faces when their Corsa's get blown away by a Volvo

nobananas
Sunday 26th February 2006, 17:35
Rear crank seals are common on the 850's, I had to do mine within the first few weeks of ownership. It is a gearbox out job which, if you have it done would be an opportunity to replace the clutch. I can't comment on prices to expect but the box is quite 'orrible to get out needing removal (or at the very least loosening)of the subframe, steering rack etc. There is a product on the market which you add to the engine oil which is designed to react with the rubber in the oil seals and 'puff' then up slightly which stops or reduces the leaking. I have used it a few times sometimes with success and somtimes without but it's worth a try at least to tide you over till you get your T5

TONBRAY
Monday 27th February 2006, 11:32
Cheers for that,

Any idea of a product name? If I can bounce the 850 off to a dealer then I may be able to sleep at night but the thought of selling it private with the leak is a bit off form.

Martinr
Monday 27th February 2006, 12:17
Book time for the job is 6.25 hours I believe. Work it out at the going rate not cheap!! Part is about £1 :(

Jod T5
Monday 27th February 2006, 16:49
recon youll be after something like this...
http://www.wynns.ca/pages/english/e_products_x-oil.html
available at your local halfrauds...

Rufe
Monday 27th February 2006, 20:21
Book time for the job is 6.25 hours I believe. Work it out at the going rate not cheap!! Part is about £1 :(
parts probably closer to £20, but the labour is probably about right, as its not a nice job.

how about taking it to a trusted independent garage mate, as they will be able to do this with around half the labour late of a dealer. even better a mechanic friend of yours would be better, but you may be car less for a little while longer.

TONBRAY
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 09:32
Thanks for the info guys, I'll have a snoop around a few local workshops and see if I get any takers for the job. :)

nobananas
Tuesday 28th February 2006, 20:16
Might be an idea to class it as a 'clutch job' with a 'oh by the way can you change the rear seal while your there !'. Garages have funny ways of putting the costs up for odd things and 'replace the clutch' sounds more everyday then 'change the rear seal' (does that make any sense !)

TONBRAY
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 10:32
Yeah makes sense to me, had one quote for £200 for labour then parts on top.

Bit of a back street garage but if it stops the leak for me to sell her on i'll be happy.

Babybadger
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 12:04
Just out of interest, what oil have you been using in the car?

lance
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 14:11
If you are going to fix it you may as well do the clutch as well!

bowman
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 19:25
Just done mine, it an arse of a job. support engine on crane, drop subframe, remove n/s suspension, remove radiator (make it alot easier) gearbox out!

Guilo2k4
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 22:27
Got mine done 2 weeks ago.

All day job , cost £ 170 for new clutch and £ 20.00 for the seal.

And ended up paying £120 labour but no vat as it was a mates garage lol.

All seems fine just gotta get ABS/TRAC unit repaired now.

cheers

TONBRAY
Friday 3rd March 2006, 11:28
Been running with a semi-synthetic 10w 40w for the last three years so don't think thats the issue.

Booked the job in at a local workshop this morning and asked them to change the clutch as well,so as of next Friday no more sitting at traffic lights smelling of burning oil YEY!

Should be good for the next 140,000 then.... and i'll feel a little more keen to travel further to look at T5's hmmmmm!

Power need more power!! :dgrin: