PDA

View Full Version : S80 mods

ahhpigsy
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 16:08
Hi.

I have just parted with my 96 855T5. It was a real stunner in perfect red paint, immaculate throughout and fast as F*** with only basic mods done. Still its gone now so thats that. The wife wanted more luxury and newer motoring.

I have bought an S80 2.9 manual SE with every extra on the list, ex demonstrater.
Its fast enough i suppose and very smooth and quiet and comfortable but its not a T5, or a T6 for that matter.

What can i do to this brute to perk it up a bit?. The engine management is crap, it high revs between gearchanges and has more flat spots than Holland. All the power is at the top end of the rev range, it needs freeing up a bit. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or i am going to have to nick the T5 with the key i kept.

Steve

Murphy
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 16:13
I think the latter is the best bet - lol.

I think this maybe one for Adam or hamish :)

P.S Any pics of the new car ?

volvotuning
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 16:19
Hi.

I have just parted with my 96 855T5. It was a real stunner in perfect red paint, immaculate throughout and fast as F*** with only basic mods done. Still its gone now so thats that. The wife wanted more luxury and newer motoring.

I have bought an S80 2.9 manual SE with every extra on the list, ex demonstrater.
Its fast enough i suppose and very smooth and quiet and comfortable but its not a T5, or a T6 for that matter.

What can i do to this brute to perk it up a bit?. The engine management is crap, it high revs between gearchanges and has more flat spots than Holland. All the power is at the top end of the rev range, it needs freeing up a bit. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or i am going to have to nick the T5 with the key i kept.

Steve

It's not really tuneable. Best advice is to feed it Optimax, make sure it's had a good service with good plugs and a clean air filter.

Adam.

philt6
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 16:39
Did exactly the same as you had a 850 T5 ex plod fast
Sold it to powerful for the wife bought a S80 2.9
did not enjoy went and bought a T6 better car all round power comfort all the toys Get a T6 if you can

ahhpigsy
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 19:01
Thanks for info so far.
Is it poss to get a rica upgrade?. i never tried it on the T5 as the mileage was high and didnt want to blow it but need to consider it on this car. If not what about remapping?, i dont mind the money if it improves the car. I cant sell it for a while as the wife loves it. Could get shot of the wife i suppose, let her keep the car and get a V70 T5 !!!

Losing my house would be a bitch tho, have to sleep in the car i suppose, could be worse.

mraldonnelly
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 19:21
It's usually not worth mapping naturally aspirated cars as most of the mapping is to do with altering the boost and stuff. Unless the engine is de-tuned at the factory like the 140 bhp 2.4 engine which can be un de-tuned to take the power up to 180 bhp (whereas mapping the 170 version would only see a 10 bhp increase to 180).

Enjoy the toys, space the cruise ship like cruising for the time being. You don't want to lose too much money getting rid so early. Besides, you might grow to like her.

You could also just buy a cheap 854 T5, just as a fun car. You can track her then without worry about thrashing your family transport.

Regards

Andy

ahhpigsy
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 20:37
I could live with it if it didnt rev between gearchange, maybe rev is the wrong way to describe it but the revs do not drop quickly enough between changes so you end up burning the clutch or bunny hopping down the road. it has 204bhp which is not bad but for a 2.9 i know it has been reined in to provide a smooth quiet drive, i would just like to unleash some of the engines power, have it tuned rather than accept Volvos detuned tuning. if you know wnat i mean. Some more low rev range horsepower and torque would be nice. As far as weight goes it is not far off a 850, a 2.0l 10 valve would beat this off the lights. Maybe i am just missing the T5 and should blame my wife. :worthless

Yes i think thats what i will do, and kick the arse of my KX250 this weekend for good measure.

You just cant beat taking your frustratations out on other people, or bikes or the dog. :icon_soap

Thanks so far, look forward to more posts.