PDA

View Full Version : looking after a new turbo

t5tart
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 09:34
never reall thought about this b4 now

ok i never want to go throught this again....shouldnt have to with a new turbo fitted...so whats the best way to look after your turbo ??

obviously oil is important !!!

but do you guys leave it ticking over for 3 mins after driving?
are turbo timers the way to go??

or doeant that really make a difference

is there anything you should do with a new turbo to bed it in ?

Vikingxl
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 09:38
Ive had a few turbo bikes and 3 mins is a long time just drive it gently for the last few minutes.I think the damage is done when you switch the ignition off when the turbo is spinning as it cuts the oil pump and then the bearings run dry but its quite possible that i am wrong!Just my opinion at the end of the day based on zero mechanical knowledge

Mrsmopp
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 09:39
Is this a repeat post? :shifty:

Always make sure the car has warmed up properly before booting it and either drive the last mile or so homw without using the turbo or leave the old girl running for 2 minutes before turning her off.

Turbo timers are an option (Steve has one) but an expensive one which, to my mind, isn't really necessary

x

t5tart
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 09:57
greedy turbo timers on ebay atm for £60

thats why i asked

hehe

okies nar not a repeat post but a dedicated post and was just a passing thought in the other

well i dont nd to boot it too much on the way back so everything starts to cool off..so should be fine

and the drive is that big etc with electric gatesuit ususlly takes a good min from turning off the road to stopping anyway

so should be fine
cheers

M44K TS
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 18:37
turbo timers are handy if you're in a hurry and can't wait a few minutes, but i prefer the opening the bonnet and oggling the white/orange turbo (night time mostly) for a few minutes until it's done glowing.

neighbours always twitch their curtains when i do that :lol:

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 18:56
Just beware,it is illegal to leave a vehicle's engine running unattended, ie on Turbo Timer..... however I do and have not been done yet, but just in case you get a ticking off from the coppers..

BlackBeast
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 19:28
Remember to turn the car over on the starter motor to get some oil through the turbo before you actually fire her up. If you bought a new turbo then it should have said that in the instructions.

t5tart
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 20:17
cheers chaps

racer
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 20:54
BlackBeast's thing about turning it over to get the oil pressure up is a very wise idea. I do this with the race engine when it's not been run for a while. I recommend taking the plugs out and pulling your injector connectors off, then letting the engine spin on the starter for a good 45 secs or more.

mraldonnelly
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 21:02
BlackBeast's thing about turning it over to get the oil pressure up is a very wise idea. I do this with the race engine when it's not been run for a while. I recommend taking the plugs out and pulling your injector connectors off, then letting the engine spin on the starter for a good 45 secs or more.

Ahhhhhh, OK, so just on the first time start up right? LOL, here's me thinking what a ball ache that'd be every morning! DUH! LOL.

racer
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 21:48
ROFL :hilarious

Well if you want to, it won't do any harm !