PDA

View Full Version : That Dreaded Elbow Again.....

Jod T5
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 06:36
Whilst fitting my new set of ht leads last night i thought i would have a little (lol) look at this elbow i have been reading so much about in many threads....you know the one to the left (o/s) of the manifold...i gave the elbow a little tug and it seemed well secure to the engine but quite free as it disappeared into the mass of the engine....i gave it the midest of tugs and.....
this happened
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/jod1jod/Picture040.jpg
the hose attached to the elbow came out of a larger pipe shown below (sorry about the picture quality my hands were bleeding at this time lol)
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/jod1jod/Picture041.jpg
is this origional equipment....not a pipe clasp or jubilee in sight anywhere....a pipe just resting in another pipe!!...if it is i will replace the small pipe in the bigger one and seal with a sealing adhesive as the elbows seem new(ish) i read one of daves posts where he says the pipe goes to another elbow down by the turbo and i think he means here...the pipe on the elbow just infront of the actuator
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/jod1jod/Picture034.jpg
am i right and if it is not a oe hoses i will scrap this and run an alternative hose under the fuel rail and down the n/s of the engine...if i do does it matter what size hose i use??..
any advise muchos appreciated
all the best
jod

iGGy
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 08:29
The vacuum hose on the end of the manifold is sheathed in a rubber tube along with the large breather pipe that does a 90° bend underneath the distributor and attaches to the PCV heater on the inlet pipe to the turbo.

Even though I had a new hose, the diameter of the vacuum tube on my heater was much smaller than the rubber elbow fitted to my new hose. I think Volvo possible increased the size on later cars because my pipe was blocked up. I decided to ignore the official pipe and ran a Samco vacuum line around instead...as I was doing all my other pipes at the same time and had the inlet manifold off. Not sure I'd like to try and get a pipe on the end of the manifold with it still in place...be prepared for more blood!

Not being exact with the sizes, but the manifold take off was a lot larger diameter (8'ish MM) than the PCV end (on mine).

Jod T5
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 09:26
cheers iggy, its a bit of as mare.... i think i will follow your route of a new vacuum hose but if both receiving end are different sizes i may be in for some head scratching......recon if i heat the hose end i may be able to squeeze it on the manifold end and provided i route it right can do away with the elbow..will post pictures of my hands saturday night lol.... :doctor:

Richie-T5
Saturday 25th February 2006, 20:13
iggy have you got any pics of yours as i am going over to samco too, just to see what you have done as all ?

cheers

Richie ;)

fireclown
Saturday 25th February 2006, 20:34
jeez m8 who dis yer brake pipe?

t5tart
Sunday 26th February 2006, 19:46
volvo supply just the vac pipe and the rubber elbows
the larger hose (if you decide to replace the whole pcv hose
and be simply ulled off and replaced with one the right size
VAC PIPE CONNECTORS PART NO vo1389574 037346 about £1.50
not sure which one on my invoice here is the vac pipe though as i bought quite afre poipes
but the main pcv pipe with this vac pipe with it is V09471644 037946 approx £25

Wobbly Dave
Monday 27th February 2006, 09:14
It can be argued for sake of easy access/repair to get ordinary vac hose and fore-go the elbow all together. You can then run the vac tube under the fuel rail cover and reconnect at the junction just prior to the turbo inlet.

Jod T5
Monday 27th February 2006, 09:24
It can be argued for sake of easy access/repair to get ordinary vac hose and fore-go the elbow all together. You can then run the vac tube under the fuel rail cover and reconnect at the junction just prior to the turbo inlet.
in fact dave thats almost what i did cos i had some windscreen wash pipe hanging around so i whipped off the elbow and attached it...the elbow is tricky to get back on but if you heat it up it does expand a little...i sleeved the pipe in hosepipe and hid it under the fuel rail....works a treat....as a matter of no interest whatsoever the hosepipe works as a wonderful substitute of my broken breather to pcv...(swordy to thank for that bodge)
clearly when i get round to it i will get some proper vac hose ant tidy it up but as a get out of trouble fix its wicked :B_steerin

Jod T5
Monday 27th February 2006, 09:28
jeez m8 who dis yer brake pipe?
que??

swordy21
Monday 27th February 2006, 09:55
i sleeved the pipe in hosepipe and hid it under the fuel rail....works a treat....as a matter of no interest whatsoever the hosepipe works as a wonderful substitute of my broken breather to pcv...(swordy to thank for that bodge)
clearly when i get round to it i will get some proper vac hose ant tidy it up but as a get out of trouble fix its wicked :B_steerin

Glad to be of some help, first time for anything. Mines been on about 6 weeks now, no issues whatsoever, and the guys didn't even spot it during my MOT & Service...... :)

Jod T5
Monday 27th February 2006, 16:35
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/jod1jod/Picture005.jpg