PDA

View Full Version : Couple of minor upgrades, worth it ?

Azza
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 10:47
Hi again all, just wanted to ask your advice on some of the following upgrades, whether a) they're worth doing, and b) there's a better make/version.

Volvo's own strut brace, think i was quoted about £64 + VAT, worth it or better off going for a different make ?

K&N air filter - about £40 - worth it ? Or maybe a different make ?

Maybe we could do with a sticky, at the top of this particular forum, with a list of different parts/upgrades etc, and people's experiences with them, to combine all this info in one place...?

Azza

fraz13
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 11:06
Get the Stut Brace mate, they're well worth the money, they make a HUGE difference and its a genuine Volvo part

t5tart
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 11:15
strut brace in my opinion is the best upgrade i have done to mine
the difference for the money is outstanding !!!

I dont think anyone else does the strut brace for a fhd t5

Murphy
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 11:21
I agree - the strut brace is worthy, but my local dealer [Chesterfield] did one a lot cheap than that IIRC. A panel filter is alse a worthy addition. The make is down to preferance. I had an ITG panel filter which was ok.

Good luck.

Vikingxl
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 11:57
Go for it mate strut brace and itg panel filter are the way to go

01c70t5
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 12:16
Have got them both on my car... the strut makes a difference, I just need to book it in to get the drop links sorted now.

The K+N makes a difference too, slightly more induction noise and you can feel that bit more power. It get's a bit torquey through 4500/5000rpm and spins up!

Azza
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 12:27
What do the "drop links" do ?

Azza

01c70t5
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 13:10
It's not a mod, more a repair... the bushes on them are split :bricks:

swordy21
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 13:20
What do the "drop links" do ?

Azza

Part of the front suspension. If the link mounts wear, then make a clunking noise when going over bumps. Nothing to do with Whhhhoooosssshhhh performance.

Also as with others here, go for the Volvo Strut brace, it is engineered to fit properly, and ITG panel filter in standard airbox is the way to go IMHO. I know people have fitted cone airfilters, but then you have the issue of dealing with the hot air from around the engine. Yep you could always fit a cold air feed, but for the sake of 30 seconds unclipping the airbox, dropping the filter in and reclosing........I don't think there is any appreciable performance gain from a cone filter, indeed I understand some people have had problems with them messing up the MAF

Azza
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 13:33
Cool, and your platinum plugs swordy21 ? Were they just a replacement, or are they worth investing in ? I've seen them floating around on eBay a lot..

Azza

dublint5
Wednesday 22nd February 2006, 01:29
would be interested in this to
whats best plugs to use is the a upgrade plug

what other small money mods can be done to help performance :jaw: :jaw:

Markzx
Wednesday 22nd February 2006, 18:47
I got Green stuff pannel filter and thats ben sound. I also just bought a strutbrace + Bilstein ride hight ajustable coil overs with full camber ajustable struts ties etc. The who shooting match. Came of a rear end shunt and only been on the car 2 months bills to prove it. I did miss out on the BBS 18" split rims though.

so I'll tell you what difference it makes when it's on this Friday.

The worst is I thought I was selling this car :troutslap :troutslap