PDA

View Full Version : mileage

devreeze
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 09:31
hi im after a t5 estate ,but not sure what mileage is to much, can anybody give me advice on wether 160,000 is to much on an mreg . and what sort of problems can i expect from it. any advice will be greatly appreciated

Redbrick
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 10:14
I think a better way of looking at this than mileage is...

Does it have any history or old receipts?

What known 850 problems have been dealt with already by the previous owner- ABS ECU, air con evaporator, new shocks, MAF, rear main seal, clutch or auto gearbox work.

Do you see what I'm saying?

Mine started to become expensive at 100k and it cost me alot of money to get it right- no reason why it won't carry on strong for another 100k now I've done the work.

It could have 160k on it but if its been maintained properly I don't see that as being an issue. If however its an old dog then don't bother- there are lots that have been looked after.

Look to spend a bit more than the minimum, it may well pay in the long run if most of the expensive replacement parts have been done by the previous owner.

t5tart
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 10:18
agreed i bought mine at 100k ...... there was some history missing big mistake 110k had the have the big ends done...... the rest has been pretty minor...apart from the clutch ...and just about to replace the turbo @ 145k ...but then again with the missing histry its no surprise really

devreeze
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 10:25
hi thanks for getting back so soon, the cars been looked after theres lots of receipts, and all main volvo dealer service as far as i could see. its had 4 owners, and drives very nice but ive never owned one before and have only driven one other. just dont wana buy it and next year have to get loads done to it. think il have a closer look at it. thanks

t5tart
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 10:33
well the mileage aint a problem....they are good for at least 200k...usually
and there are plenty around that have done that no problems

siamblue
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 16:45
Hi My car was purchased with 136k on the clock, being ex Notts Police i knew there was no history with the car, because of problems with the mechanical contractors, so no history was given over to the new contractors,
But my car has had 2 previous private owners in the last 4 years and with the car i got £5k worth of reciepts, the main reciepts were for rebuilt gearbox, new clutch and new catback new brake discs and pads all round, Rica ecu, the list goes on, but i knew i was buying a bloody good car, and i have not had a problem with her since, only bar a barometric sensor failing.

Gary.

pzorb
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 17:02
I got mine at 150k. It's got 180 now. It's not showing any signs of impending disaster, and pretty much everything it has needed has been done. EG I think it's on a second gearbox, clutch, turbo, and shocks. Shocks are up for renewal again. It was on the rolling road at VT and didn't puff anything but sweet exhaust. I'm nearly happy with it! (more power, more stopping needed!)

lance
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 18:35
200k is nowt for a WELL looked after T5, I reckon there will be some 500k ones around soon.
However Turbos last 100-200k clutchs 80-250k gearboxs around 200k+

Daz T5
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 19:20
Agree with Lance, i had a Saffy V70R with 218k on it, had full history and was company owned, drove mint and was mechanically spot on, good for another 200k i reckon :B_steerin

Darren

devreeze
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 20:45
cheers guys, im gona take another look at it tommorow and maybe get myself a t5. thanks for all the advice .

gazjacko
Wednesday 22nd February 2006, 23:44
Mine's fast approaching the 200K mark and seems still ok with just a couple of bits gone during my ownership that weren't wear and tear.
Coil pack, ABS ECU and fuel pump (mind you with my right foot that's a LOT of petrol-over 8000 gals!!!)