PDA

View Full Version : Is Upgrading The Ecu, The Way To Go?

CAMO
Monday 7th March 2005, 17:22
'HAVING IT CHIPPED' OR NOT, THAT IS THE QUESTION.
WHEEL SPIN IS JUST ABOUT CONTROL'ABLE STANDARD.
PUSHING THE POWER UP, I DON'T KNOW? :shifty:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 7th March 2005, 17:32
What Tyres have you got?

If you want a demo - more than happy to show you - and Lance can help with the MT version.

I get very little wheel spin apart from when it is greasy underfoot.

Bracer
Monday 7th March 2005, 17:46
Custom ECU :hidesbehi

Thats the way forward :wink:

Goof
Monday 7th March 2005, 17:47
What Tyres have you got?

If you want a demo - more than happy to show you - and Lance can help with the MT version.

I get very little wheel spin apart from when it is greasy underfoot.
Do it CAMO - I've been for a "test drive" in the red beast, it is impressive ~ you'll be going home via your local RICA chip shop!

Wobbly Dave
Monday 7th March 2005, 17:54
Don't forget the 280 RICA - which is proving very popular as it is less likely to show up weaknesses underload.

siamblue
Monday 7th March 2005, 17:56
I suggest to anyone that has their car chipped or remapped,To go a extra width or 2 if you can on your standard tyres,
205/50/16 budget tyres with a Rica is silly IMO.
Quantity and Quality is what tyres are all about,Probably most important part of the car to have the best on.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 7th March 2005, 18:01
Very True, Gary.

My Vredesteins are excellent both for quality and price (£90 each).

I used to spin up everywhere with the P6000s I had before.

Goof
Monday 7th March 2005, 19:24
Don't forget the 280 RICA - which is proving very popular as it is less likely to show up weaknesses underload.
I'm quite tempted to go for the 280 version - you still get the extra torque as with the 304 ver, but can run on 95 fuel (convenient if you can't find Opti).
I use my T5 daily, commuting to work - so most of my time is spent in traffic ~ av mph is 24mph, cripples the mpg down to 21 average. So I can't really see a need for me to go the whole 304 hog.
There's always the option to re-remap to 304 when circumstances change!

mat562be
Monday 7th March 2005, 19:53
'HAVING IT CHIPPED' OR NOT, THAT IS THE QUESTION.
WHEEL SPIN IS JUST ABOUT CONTROL'ABLE STANDARD.
PUSHING THE POWER UP, I DON'T KNOW? :shifty:

I drive a V70N T5 with a 300 bhp BSR upgrade. I use 225/45 17" Eagle F1s and haven't found that there is significant wheelspin problem over what existed with the standard car. You do, obviously, have to be mindful in 1st and 2nd gears, and things are always a bit excitable in the wet, but the car is by no means a monster provided you are sensible with the throttle. I've found the real improvements to be found in 2nd and 3rd gear - from 30=60mph and 50 -90mph respectively- where torque steer should'nt be a problem witha sensitive right foot.

taha22464
Monday 7th March 2005, 20:02
hiya is the 280 rica (what does it stand for?)sutible for 94 t5 turbo as ive heard the engine is to soft to cope with the extra power,id rather have less power and more reliability but both would be nice.jel.
________
Lovely Wendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

Goof
Monday 7th March 2005, 22:41
280 = 280bhp
304 = erm, 304bhp!

both push torque figure up by 40% ish (haven't checked the maths!)

volvotuning
Monday 7th March 2005, 22:48
280 bhp version produces less torque everywhere than the 304 bhp version, but still a big gain over stock, and still gives a flat torque curve, so it's just as driveable as the full version.

Adam.

Bracer
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 10:05
hiya is the 280 rica (what does it stand for?)sutible for 94 t5 turbo as ive heard the engine is to soft to cope with the extra power,id rather have less power and more reliability but both would be nice.jel.

The 94 engine can take lots more then people thingk, its all down to the tuning :wink:

SAM's a 94 and takes the 360+ hp without a problem :eek:

CAMO
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 10:57
Thanks For That Guy's! Lots Of Thoughts Now.
The 280 Bhp Who Does This For The Best Price, And What Boost Pressure Do You End Up Running At?
Same Question Regarding The 304 Bhp?
What About Cooking Your Clutch With The Extra Horses?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 10:59
Clutch can take it and so can the gearboxes. RICA 280BHP is offered by Volvotuning only - They developed it.

Bracer
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 11:17
Thanks For That Guy's! Lots Of Thoughts Now.
The 280 Bhp Who Does This For The Best Price, And What Boost Pressure Do You End Up Running At?
Same Question Regarding The 304 Bhp?
What About Cooking Your Clutch With The Extra Horses?

Both the 280 & 304 upgrades are a Rica product, there are several others out there which will give you around 280 hp too but I think Rica are bag on the money with their one.

I assume the 280 hp map would bring boost up to around 15.5 Psi

And the 304 hp map would be around 17/18 Psi

As the rule of thumb is 1 Psi = 10 hp :wink: