PDA

View Full Version : 855 Suspension thoughts

Redbrick
Monday 20th February 2006, 22:15
Thought I'd share my latest thoughts with you all as I need to make my 855 more child friendly, hence the seven seats!

I'm currently sat on KW varient 2 coilovers, which are unbeatable in corners and on fast FLAT roads but on bouncy roads I'm at risk of head injuries- they bounce badly. So I'm thinking taking them off, save them for track days (like I've ever been on a track, lol, here's wishing!).

I'm looking into the following set up. It's plug 'n' play- no adjustment is possible or needed as the shocks are matched to the springs (allegedly). Its had rave reviews on Volvospeed (search for Weitec). Its more of a fast road set up, it lowers the car and handles nicely as opposed to track set up.

It's a set of four springs, 2 shocks and 2 dampers.

CLICK ->Weitec Ultra GT (http://www.weitec.de/2003/produkte/ultra.php?lang=en)

I've got the best price to £411.65 + £10p&p, thats from Demon Tweaks.

The only thing that slightly concerns me is Greg on Volvospeed (the US supplier) is recommending the saloon kit for the estate and vice versa. I trust what he says as he's sold enough of them but it still seams odd.

He's suggesting:

VO 032GT designed for the S70 to fit on the V70 or 855

VO 028GT designed for the V70 to fit on the S70 or 850.

I've got a similar set up by Eibach on my Passat, it's called a Pro kit, I think. It's Eibach springs and Eibach shocks (made by Boge or Sachs) and I love it, it's spot on ride V handling.

Anyone running the yellow Koni spring and damper kit?

I've had R springs and Monroe front dampers and I wasn't overly keen on it to be honest.

For £355 from PFV I could get a set of Eibach springs and Sachs Super Touring front shocks and rear dampers.

What do you think?

What would you suggest?

elliot
Monday 20th February 2006, 22:24
The koni kit is still a bit agressive by the sounds of it.I have the FK shocks on the front of mine with a 60mm drop and its supple, a bit to soft on the rebound so i may sway to the konis. I have the leda rear dampers on the rear and they are amazing for ride and handleing.
My dad finds his konis to stiff on the rebound setting in the rear (on the softest setting) but are nice in the front,its also a very nice height on the apex springs which now come with the kits.Why not try the weitecs they do seem to get good reviews on volvospeed,only problem i can see is that its Americans talking about corners and they dont do corners lol only kidding.I would imagine that the reason the salon kit is suggested for the estates is for the rear springs,it will sit a bit lower than with the estate springs,i would imagine the damper rates will be the same on both kits.

pzorb
Monday 20th February 2006, 22:42
Keep it coming, I too am in the market!

pzorb
Monday 20th February 2006, 22:59
I've got the best price to £411.65 + £10p&p, thats from Demon Tweaks.
Can't you order it online from the site? Roughly £355 using xe.com's exchange rate.

Redbrick
Monday 20th February 2006, 23:14
Can't you order it online from the site? Roughly £355 using xe.com's exchange rate.

You've lost me there! I'm looking on the Demon Tweaks UK site and no matter what I click on it comes up with Weitec springs only...

Post a link to what your looking at please.

Are you sure you're on a UK site if your having to use XE.com? Probably have to add Mr Browns 17.5% to that...

I'm quoting from a phone call I made to them the other day.

Cheaper would be good though!

pzorb
Monday 20th February 2006, 23:20
Your link http://www.weitec.de/2003/produkte/ultra.php?lang=en > Online shop (at the top), shop (beige tag) > [the second button 'Komplettablargh' lol] > Volvo > S70 > suchen > zur kasse. That's in germany, so no VAT for us. Delivery maybe a bit more?

Or have I missed something?

Redbrick
Monday 20th February 2006, 23:29
Your link http://www.weitec.de/2003/produkte/ultra.php?lang=en > Online shop (at the top), shop (beige tag) > [the second button 'Komplettablargh' lol] > Volvo > S70 > suchen > zur kasse. That's in germany, so no VAT for us. Delivery maybe a bit more?

Or have I missed something?

No wonder! I don't do German- too crap at French to be allowed. But they did teach me Latin- gee thats been useful in my life.

I take it you do though! Fancy following that up for me, find out what the p&p would be, please :) I wouldn't know where to start with the German.

There on here at 585 Euros but that includes tax at 19%!!!
http://www.europeantuning.com/shop_nl.htm

You positive we don't have to pay any duty or tax?

pzorb
Monday 20th February 2006, 23:43
Bud, I've never spoken a polite word of german in my life! Latin yes, French yes. German, no!

I don't think we pay VAT on EU stuff. The whole EU thing. Not sure.

I'm guessing "Bitte beachten Sie: Alle Preise in Euro inkl. 16% Mwst." means including germany tax?

Babybadger
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 10:11
Just had an email back from Tenneco who own monroe in europe etc.

Shaun Taylor <Shaun.Taylor@eu.tenneco-automotive.com> to Simonetta, James, me
More options 14 Feb (7 days ago)

Dear Sir

There is no aftermarket listings for shock absorbers for the Volvo 850 T5 ,
these will have to be purchased from a Volvo dealership

Regards

Shaun

Shaun Taylor
Technical Co Ordinator
Tenneco (UK) Ltd

Tel : +44 (0) 121 609 3140
Fax : +44 (0) 121 609 3037

So where the hell do Volvotuning get them from? Adam? Hamish?

pzorb
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 13:37
Anyone spreken ze deutsche?

Babybadger
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 13:55
Bud, I've never spoken a polite word of german in my life! Latin yes, French yes. German, no!

I don't think we pay VAT on EU stuff. The whole EU thing. Not sure.

I'm guessing "Bitte beachten Sie: Alle Preise in Euro inkl. 16% Mwst." means including germany tax?

Latin? We have a scholar amongst us. The only latin I know is 'Romanus ite Domum'

"Bitte beachten Sie: Alle Preise in Euro inkl. 16% Mwst." does mean 'Please consider (....I did learn something at school) - all prices inclusive of 16% VAT'

The Flying Banana
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 14:00
Hi Redbrick..regarding the option of saloon set ups for estates, i havent had any mods to my Volvo in the suspension dept yet but when i do it will be the saloon set up i will go for. Reason behind this is i was into Beemer tourings and Vectra GSI tourings and i had a few setups on them..Bilstein, Jamex etc all designed for estates and in the end i searched about and the best info i got was to use the saloon equivalent...never looked back...if you will be using it as and estate then it may not carry the same payload as it would with estate springs but it seems a different car altogether set up as a saloon.

pzorb
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 15:21
if you will be using it as and estate then it may not carry the same payload as it would with estate springs
Are we talking about the difference between 5 people and 7 people (aka the difference between 5 people in a saloon and two people with 500kg of concrete in the back of an estate), or is the saloon setup purely racing ie no weight at the back, just the driver's front weight?

I want a nice handling car, and I don't tow so I don't need serious rear suspension. But it does often take a full load of passengers, and sometimes with two/three rattling in the boot.
Basically I don't want to give-up the benefit of having all that boot space because the suspension can't take it. Otherwise I might as well have a saloon. How much of a difference do estate springs allow for?

Has anyone taken a full load of people with lowered suspension?

the_boy
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 18:34
Entschuldigung, dast ist einfach klasse!!

Ich spiele gern fussball.

Zum bahnhof? Dast ist die erste strasse links.

Like I'm ever going to use any of these "common" phrases in a normal German conversation.

User the force young Skywalker....Babelfish is your friend :bud:

Babelfish courtesy of AltaVista (but could be any) (http://babelfish.altavista.com/)

Babybadger
Wednesday 22nd February 2006, 15:33
Entschuldigung, dast ist einfach klasse!!

Ich spiele gern fussball.

Zum bahnhof? Dast ist die erste strasse links.

Like I'm ever going to use any of these "common" phrases in a normal German conversation.

User the force young Skywalker....Babelfish is your friend :bud:

Babelfish courtesy of AltaVista (but could be any) (http://babelfish.altavista.com/)

or http://www.google.co.uk/language_tools?hl=en

Lets stick to swedish , its more appropriate

Engineer
Wednesday 22nd February 2006, 19:10
Forgetting coil overs such as LEDA etc. the best standard fit gas/sport fast road dampers I've ever used were by Boge which is why Sachs bought the company if memory serves me right.

LeeT5
Wednesday 22nd February 2006, 19:11
Anyone spreken ze deutsche?

Nei!

Ich bein damper, ya!! :bricks:

elliot
Wednesday 22nd February 2006, 21:03
Forgetting coil overs such as LEDA etc. the best standard fit gas/sport fast road dampers I've ever used were by Boge which is why Sachs bought the company if memory serves me right.

The 850's i have seen with the sachs kits on them also sit nice and low with the fronts right on the arch.Redbrick you could email a chap alled hankscorpio on the volvospeed forum his girlfriend drives an R with a sachs kit and he has the weitec kit on his t-5r.