PDA

View Full Version : Cheap and safe power??

gtiteen
Monday 20th February 2006, 21:14
I've got a t-5 with a 280bhp Upsoloute chip. Its also got a kalmar union dump valve. I just removed a bleed valve and put that area completely back to standard.
I know fell i am lacking slightly in power! :B_steerin What would be the cheapest most effective and safe way of getting more. I was thinking of getting my standard ECU remapped for 310bhp and selling the upsolute. Maybe also putting in a decently fitted MBC.
What do you think?
DAve

Vikingxl
Monday 20th February 2006, 21:22
I would forget the mbc and go for the remap to smooth everything out and give you the power boost you are looking for

SaffronC70
Monday 20th February 2006, 21:24
Get it dyno'ed first, see where you are at ! You might of just got used to the power !

swordy21
Monday 20th February 2006, 21:27
You shouldn't run an MBC with a RICA remap, as the map automatically controls the boost. the RICA 310 will boost upto 1.2bar.

If you fool the system to boost over about 1.5bar you are into rod bending territory.

gtiteen
Monday 20th February 2006, 21:30
I think the RICA is the way forward. Its proper power safely and smoothly. I probably have just got used to it, i did this with my golf as well which is why i stepped up to the volvo after only 5 months! But if i can get the money i'd be happier running the RICA. How much do decent brakes set you back?!

Vikingxl
Monday 20th February 2006, 21:32
Standard brakes are pretty good anyway and you might struggle to fit the bigger discs on the front of yours depending on what wheels you have.So just investing in some decent pads would be a good starting point.

gtiteen
Monday 20th February 2006, 21:35
Im a bit worried about my brakes, when i first turn the car on the ABS light flickers and then goes off. Ans also the abs seems quite eager to kick in, like it doesnt feel like the wheels are about to do anything dodgy yet it kicks in. And theres a bit of travel on the pedal before anything happens, new pads tho. It might just be me being paranoid, i always am about my cars!

Vikingxl
Monday 20th February 2006, 21:37
Might be worth getting the brakes checked out then as it is nice being able to stop!If its the abs unit it may be repairable!

gtiteen
Monday 20th February 2006, 21:38
I dont really want to get it checked as ive looked at prices for ABS and i really cant afford to have anything done!

Straker
Monday 20th February 2006, 21:40
Im a bit worried about my brakes, when i first turn the car on the ABS light flickers and then goes off. Ans also the abs seems quite eager to kick in, like it doesnt feel like the wheels are about to do anything dodgy yet it kicks in. And theres a bit of travel on the pedal before anything happens, new pads tho. It might just be me being paranoid, i always am about my cars!

When was the last time you had the system bled. Lots of initial travel with nothing happening is uasually a sign of tired fluid and/or system full of air.

Mine is the same and the car is getting a complete drain down and re-fill with braided hoses next month.

gtiteen
Monday 20th February 2006, 21:45
I only bought it a few weeks ago so i dont know, i think ill get that done then and also get them to have a general check over of the brakes as well. As far as im concerned (and unfortunatley) i think proper brakes are more important than 310bhp!

Vikingxl
Monday 20th February 2006, 21:47
Probably the best approach sort the brakes and suspension and then look at the remap other wise it could all end in tears!

gtiteen
Monday 20th February 2006, 21:49
Already got the koni adjustables and eibach springs with the strut brace. Just the brakes need a good checking. If i keep the car long enough i will probably put 18s on and whack some nice big brakes on!