PDA

View Full Version : Running Cool

Phuturephantasy
Monday 20th February 2006, 12:59
My S70 T5 I have just bought seems to be running fine and gets up to temperature ok, however if I stop in traffic it drops below 1/2 way - goes down to about 1/3 and then starts to go back up again - it's fine whilst in motion and remains at a costant midway point.

Is this anything to worry about? If so what are the possible causes and solutions?

Help !

BlackBeast
Monday 20th February 2006, 13:05
Check the coolant level, check that the radiator fan is working (if not replace the fan switch), but its most likely a sticking thermostat.

John
Monday 20th February 2006, 17:56
I would go for the thermostat, my S70 when I bought it was the same, slow warming up, needle running about a third of the way up the guage, cheap and easy to replace.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 20th February 2006, 18:02
I have posted a how 2 in the knowledge base section called "Wobbly's tips on Tstat changes" or similar. Tstat is only 'bout six quid and so long as you have the right torx bit you can easily change one in about 20mins

Andrew
Monday 20th February 2006, 18:09
I have posted a how 2 in the knowledge base section called "Wobbly's tips on Tstat changes" or similar. Tstat is only 'bout six quid and so long as you have the right torque bit you can easily change one in about 20mins

Be careful not to strip the torque bolt :P

Wobbly Dave
Monday 20th February 2006, 18:18
:haha:

Phuturephantasy
Monday 20th February 2006, 20:07
Thanks Guys - Will be doing this in the next day or so..

Babybadger
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 11:36
Did they not change them and now they have a higher temperature before they switch in? Has anyone got part numbers old and new?

t5tart
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 13:18
oh mine has never quite got up to haalf way on the temp dial

always sits lower ......

dont see it as a problem though ..unless anyone knows why it would be a problem running slightly cool

Babybadger
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 14:32
Mine varies between 4 o'clock and 2-30 (just above half way) depending on slow moving traffic etc. It usually does the 2-30 thing in slow moving traffic, it does need an oil change though, but the water is spot on. I have only topped it up from just over minimum since I have had it RICA'd in Nov 2004. So I think a new thermostat is on. The 4 oclock job usually happens on the motorway without boost in this sort of temperature 5Cish.

I just need the the right part number as they were changed to 90C from 87C I remember reading somewhere.

NugentS
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 17:15
Be careful not to strip the torque bolt :P

And reconect the fuel rails if you remove them......

:haha:

Sean