PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing 850!

pzorb
Monday 20th February 2006, 11:50
When I'm in second gear, and WOT, the grippy tyres bite instead of squealing (dunlops vs yokos) so instead of burning rubber, the entire front of the car hammers up and down violently shaking the dash, me, everything. Only happens in second as the revs go over 4k, when the car is really accellerating under full boost. :wtf: :pants: :slap: :sick:

As there are a few posts going on about engine mounts, this got me thinking if this 'feature' can be attributed to the mounts, or whether everyone else gets this when they're in a hurry and in second gear? :rice:

Cheers!

racer
Monday 20th February 2006, 12:18
Sounds like the front dampers are set too soft for the springs to me. You running standard suspension Pzorb?

Straker
Monday 20th February 2006, 12:30
Definately sounds like a problem with the dampers. What you are experiancing is called axel tramp where basically the dampers can't counteract the forces from the wheels and under power you get nasty vibrations through the suspension as the wheels hammer up and down on the road.

If you have adjustables then make them stiffer. If not then replace dampers.

pzorb
Monday 20th February 2006, 13:23
Thanks racer and Straker, that's what I suspected too but was hoping I could get away with an engine mount! Looks like I'll be adding suspension to the todo list :slap: Lucky I just got me a job, so I can keep feeding the beast!

I know the "which suspension" threads have been done to death, so any advice as to what height is best? I would like at least as low as a regualr T5R, and no I'm not spending a grand for coilovers on a 1500 quid car!

Ta muchly.

volvotuning
Monday 20th February 2006, 13:44
The ride height isn't the issue. I bet that just some new shocks would sort the problem.

Adam.

pzorb
Monday 20th February 2006, 13:52
The ride height isn't the issue.
Of course, but I'm a believer in upgrading when possible and practical. I'd imagine there's not much difference between a lowered setup and a volvo OEM one for the money...

racer
Monday 20th February 2006, 14:29
Good attitude Pzorb! Sounds like you need new dampers anyway, so why not go the whole hog? The springs aren't the expensive bit.
I'd certainly not bother with coilovers unless you're going to take it on a lot of track days. As for how much to lower it, probably no more than around the 30mm mark for a road car. Much more than that and you'll leave your sump on a speed ramp somewhere!

Jod T5
Monday 20th February 2006, 16:38
When I'm in second gear, and WOT, the grippy tyres bite instead of squealing (dunlops vs yokos) so instead of burning rubber, the entire front of the car hammers up and down violently shaking the dash, me, everything. Only happens in second as the revs go over 4k, when the car is really accellerating under full boost. :wtf: :pants: :slap: :sick:

As there are a few posts going on about engine mounts, this got me thinking if this 'feature' can be attributed to the mounts, or whether everyone else gets this when they're in a hurry and in second gear? :rice:

Cheers!
martin
sorry to hijack your thread but have you sorted your hesitating in 4th and top gear when giving her throttle??
jod

pzorb
Monday 20th February 2006, 16:41
have you sorted your hesitating in 4th and top gear when giving her throttle?? Yeah leads. Not MAF. Or fuel pump/filter. Goddamn leads!

Jod T5
Monday 20th February 2006, 16:51
Yeah leads. Not MAF. Or fuel pump/filter. Goddamn leads!
martin
what a result....my lead "look" ok done maybe 10k only did yours look dodgy and did you get origionals??
jod

MattB
Monday 20th February 2006, 19:35

Cheers!
My car does this mainly in first (if pulling away aggressively with wheels spinning) and sometimes second gear. AFAIK dampers / shocks are OEM. Car is 1996 101k miles. I also have excessive road noise from, what I believed to be noisey tyres (Michelin Pilot Sports). When I had Tornados on the front the road noise was less, but vibration still the same. The vibration got worse after fitting 17" canistos - road noise was not noticeable with the columbas on. I have checked for the need of spigot rings - appears they are not needed, as no play in wheels etc. Could pzorb and I be sharing the same problem here, ie Shocks/Dampers?? What's the average life expectancy?? I realise driving style plays a big part, but should shocks last more than 100k??
(unless my car has been driven like a 'get away car in an armed robbery' LOL!

Any ideas people?

Incidently pzorb, GFS don't appear to do shocks for the T5.
Eurocarparts, £60 each - Parts for Volvos Online circa £100+ each.

>eurocarparts clicky< (www.eurocarparts.co.uk)

:wizardtro

racer
Monday 20th February 2006, 19:49
> but should shocks last more than 100k??

I'd say not, judging by the state of mine (130k). :( They are on the list of things to sort out before I get the VT RICA upgrade. They are OE shocks and are still providing a reasonable amount of damping, but you can tell they are past their best.

I'm probably going to get new springs (lowered a bit) at the same time, but I'm still in brake sorting mode at the moment!

pzorb
Monday 20th February 2006, 20:31
> but should shocks last more than 100k??

I'd say not, judging by the state of mine (130k). :(
Haha! Mine have seen 180K of motoring bliss! Seems like a few of us need new suspension, anyone know of a group buy we can do if people are interested?

MattB
Monday 20th February 2006, 20:39
Haha! Mine have seen 180K of motoring bliss! Seems like a few of us need new suspension, anyone know of a group buy we can do if people are interested?
Or forum discount??

racer
Monday 20th February 2006, 22:01
Discount is good!!! Certainly after an unexpected pair of calipers aquisition!

pzorb
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 00:34
Redbrick's suspension thread looks promising. Who speaks German here?!

gtiteen
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 21:32
Mines got koni adjustables, dunno what mileage theyve done but they just started doing that over the past few days. I had been running them on softest but only a few days ago turned them on to stiffest to see what it was like. I shouldnt expect that they're too knackered. But the car has just rolled over to 164000.
Dave
Oh and i speak a very little bit of german.(gcse a!!)