Just a couple of questions:

1) What is the benefit?

2) Is it noticeable?

3) Can you get mild sounding ones?

4) Are they easy to fit?

5) How much do they cost?

Mrsmopp
Sunday 19th February 2006, 18:15
This subject has been covered at length so you might want to do a search for some of the previous threads. The T5 already has a DV albeit a recirculating one and so there will be no performance benefit (possibly a loss in actual fact)

x

elliot
Sunday 19th February 2006, 18:57
You may need one if you boost over 18-19psi,mine on a 16t struggles to dump enough air if i short shift at 5000rpm i can hear a tiny amount of compressor stall.The only advantage i can see of installing one is the noise and the fact that it can take more abuse than the std unit.If you car is just chipped etc i would save you money.

Vikingxl
Sunday 19th February 2006, 19:27
I agree save your money and spend it somewhere else on the car

Green T5R
Sunday 19th February 2006, 20:55
Na get a bigger/Hybrid Turbo and do away with the dump valve altogether.

Regards

Iain

BlackBeast
Sunday 19th February 2006, 21:03
Na get a bigger/Hybrid Turbo and do away with the dump valve altogether.

And watch your engine and turbo try to dismantle each other :D

Green T5R
Sunday 19th February 2006, 22:05
Not yet they havn't!!!!!.....hehe

neevo
Sunday 19th February 2006, 22:06
Sorry for the silly question, but what is a hybrid turbo?

RPM
Sunday 19th February 2006, 22:11
I agree save your money and spend it somewhere else on the car

I will then, just wondered..........

don't particularly want the sound, just wondered if it made any noticeable difference.

Now I know.................Thanks

pzorb
Sunday 19th February 2006, 22:12
what is a hybrid turbo?
Basically a turbo made out of various parts, like bigger housing with small internals or regular turbo with different manifold etc

£5 on this degenerating into a VOC argument...

Green T5R
Sunday 19th February 2006, 22:18
Basically a turbo made out of various parts, like bigger housing with small internals or regular turbo with different manifold etc

Raise you to £10....roflmao

pzorb
Sunday 19th February 2006, 22:20
Raise you to £10....roflmao
Oi, the horses aren't allowed to bet! :haha: :)

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 19th February 2006, 22:21
Well if we are all giving out generalisations, fit a dump valve your Volvo one is probably buggered...

neevo
Sunday 19th February 2006, 22:22

Thanks!

I always thought that the turbo makers would build it the most efficient way to start with, but I suppose in this day and age accountants over-rule engineers :(

Vikingxl
Sunday 19th February 2006, 22:23

Most importantly though is the power gain and the rather interesting sound

Green T5R
Sunday 19th February 2006, 22:34
I must record how mine sounds when i get it back then youcan all hear that wonderful sound of the air passing back over the turbine blades.

BlackBeast
Monday 20th February 2006, 12:25
I must record how mine sounds when i get it back then youcan all hear that wonderful sound of the air passing back over the turbine blades.

For the love of god please fit a dump valve, wether its a re-circ or atmos, you will be damaging your turbo otherwise!

Green T5R
Monday 20th February 2006, 13:51
Its been in the car for nearly a year now with no problems. Still have 1 year warrenty left.

BlackBeast
Monday 20th February 2006, 18:18
Its been in the car for nearly a year now with no problems. Still have 1 year warrenty left.

And I can guarantee you the week after the warranty ends you will have an expensive bill which you could have avoided if you only fitted a dump valve.

Green T5R
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 11:26
Hmmm...why would i want to fit a dump valve when the supplier of the Turbo states that one is not required?

Iain

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 13:12
Hmmm...why would i want to fit a dump valve when the supplier of the Turbo states that one is not required?

Iain

Can you not just explain the reasons why as you have done over on VOC rather than leading people up the garden path?

x

Goof
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 13:49

Iain
Is this usual not to have a DV on a turbo ~ I mean generally, not just on Volvos.
I only ask because elsewhere it seems that people fit a DV to an engine that doesn't have any sort of DV. So to me it's not un-common not to have a DV.

Or have I got it all wrong!?

Suppose if your supplier/manufacturer says you don't need anything, then that's down to them - they only designed it and gave a warranty! :)

Goof
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 13:53
Can you not just explain the reasons why as you have done over on VOC rather than leading people up the garden path?

x
Link?

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 14:09
THen I suppose we've answered our own questions....a DV in not required for a turbo to work fine. All a DV does is try to make the turbo last longer. Whether you want the soundor not. And you can buy aftermarket recirculating DV's

As a hybrid turbo is fitted, it has probably been aqccepted that it will get abuse therefore it probably doesn't have as longer lifespan. The Volvo design policy was/is to develop their cars to last 25 years..So sensibly they fitted a DV...even if it is not a good one.

I still say fit one...

elliot
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 14:09
Is this usual not to have a DV on a turbo ~ I mean generally, not just on Volvos.
I only ask because elsewhere it seems that people fit a DV to an engine that doesn't have any sort of DV. So to me it's not un-common not to have a DV.

Or have I got it all wrong!?

Suppose if your supplier/manufacturer says you don't need anything, then that's down to them - they only designed it and gave a warranty! :)

Its is normal is for turbos with cut back baldes and ball bearing cores.The TT turbo has cut back blades but not a ball bearing core it has a 360 thrust bearing just like the 19t has.If it was mine i would for sure put a dump valve of sorts on it, just relives alot of stress.If you still want the noise still run a stiff spring in the dump valve so it does'nt open at lower boost levels.Just my thoughts,and dont forget how TT make a living,by rebuilding turbos!

Green T5R
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 17:13

x

Garden path where? I see no path......lol

I'm just trying to be diplomatic in my replys and not tread on anyones toes by bringing up other suppliers etc.

Regards

Iain :remybussi

pzorb
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 17:26
Let's just leave it as Iain doesn't want a DV as he has been informed by his turbo supplier that he doesn't need one, and that's fair enough. Keep the ovlov! :lovestory

Green T5R
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 17:31
OVLOV Forever....... :B_steerin