PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control - easy fix.

Rufus T Firefly
Friday 17th February 2006, 22:46
Cruise has never worked on my 94 manual T5.
I searched here and at VOC and ther are a few things to check, one of which is the vacuum switch on the brake pedal - this is a very common failure. I ordered 2 (Ther is 1 on the brake pedal and 1 on the clutch pedal) from volvo @ £7 ea plus the dreaded and fitted the brake one first then went out for a test drive. Its all fixed and working now so I will keep the clutch one for a spare.
A nice easy 10 min fix.
I only wish i had time to fit it before I went on holiday this week - it would have been nice on the M5 up and down to Minehead. :)

kdst5
Saturday 18th February 2006, 09:40
Good one, think that is where I should check first then, mine hasn`t worked from the day I got her either :frown:

r07s
Saturday 18th February 2006, 09:50
I've been sorting other stuff out on the car recently and have kind of put my cruise problem on the back burner as i dont really use it that much - 'if' its just a simple fix then i think i'll have a go this weekend.

Thanks for the heaads up!

Rufus T Firefly
Sunday 19th February 2006, 12:33
Aye, its worth a check for £7 and a 10 min job. I had put off fixing it for the same reason but finally got round to checking it. I thought it would not be so easy to solve - but I was wrong.

r07s
Sunday 19th February 2006, 13:12
mmm - turns out the control unit is not recieving the speed from a particular XXXX!? I'm back there at the end of the week and they'll have a better insight then - anything over £50 can wait.

Rufus T Firefly
Sunday 19th February 2006, 13:43
Oh well. When I read the codes on mine (its a 94 so I can do it myself) nothing showed up so I assumed it might be the vac switches as I did not think they could generate a fault code being vac driven not electronic sensors.
Incidently, if the codes are read when the engine is not running, the only code generated will be "not exceeded 25mph" the unit has no memory so you have to go for a drive (above 25 mph) and read the codes before shutting off the engine.