PDA

View Full Version : My D5 Plans

S60D5
Thursday 16th February 2006, 22:10
Now I've decided to get rid of the scoot and concentrate on the car, and more importantly decided NOT to sell the D5 for an S60 T5, I can commit to planning some mods I'd like to make to my car!

My plans are as follows (in order I'd like to do them). Feel free to comment/ridicule/criticise/praise!

HID/Xenon lights.

I feel these are desperately needed as the dipped beam on the S60 is very poor! Having been in a Xenon equipped vehicle, there is no comparison. I will get this done as soon as I get a reply for a quote for fitting!

Tinted Windows

Having seen a dark S60 (D5 nontheless) with medium tints, I think it looks the business. I had tints on my T5 and liked the look so this will be done before the summer.

Engine Tuning

I'm going to start with Powerklick (as I can get them brand new at about 40% of their retail price!!) but I have a demo in a RICA been offered to me, so If I prefer the RICA significantly I will sell the Powerklick (probably for the same amount I pay for it!) and go RICA. I plan to go with Powerklick around April/May, and consider swapping to RICA around July/August.

Lowered Suspension

The S60 rides a little high for my liking, but as I have to use snow chains sometimes whilst abroad in the winter I need to retain some clearance. I think I should be OK by getting it lowered on Eibach springs with a 30mm drop and won't look too low. This is planned for the summer sometime.

iPD Aluminium dash rings

Very similar to the aluminium dash rings Heico offer, but rather than £75 + Delivery I can get the iPD ones shipped from the USA for £55 all in. Plus they don't need to be glued in place. Snap on! Planned for summer sometime but may come before one or several of the above due to their cheap cost!

T5 Exhaust Tip

Before any more visual mods are carried out, I would like to replace the downswept exhaust of the D5 with a similar oval exit to the T5. If I go all out, I may do a dual oval exit (one either side of the vehicle) but this is very "up in the air" at the moment and I'm currently in discussions with a Powerflow dealer about this.

18" Nebula Wheels with 225/40/18 Tyres

Biggest single expense will be a set of Nebula wheels and decent tyres. As I love the 17" Tethys I have at the moment, this mod doesn't have a planned date. It will happen once all the other mods are done and I've found a good deal on some Nebulas (and of course when I have the dolla to pay for them!) I imagine Spring 2007 at the earliest!!

Heico Front Spoiler Flaps

Will be done at the same time as the 18" Nebula wheels, as I think the spoiler flaps with the 17" wheels would look a bit "off" and not quite right. Spring/Summer 2007.

Tracker

Tracker system to be fitted at some point within the next 12 months, probably. I'm still unsure as to whether I want one, as if the car is found once stolen, I'm not sure I'd want it back. Maybe once I've invested time/money in modifications I'll feel differently.

BlackBeast
Thursday 16th February 2006, 22:12
Springs before the RICA :)

S60D5
Thursday 16th February 2006, 22:14
Springs before the RICA :)

I'll probably get the engine tuning and springs done at the same time to be honest! The springs on the car are only 3 years old so shouldn't be that saggy/bad - I hope?

BlackBeast
Thursday 16th February 2006, 22:30
I'll probably get the engine tuning and springs done at the same time to be honest! The springs on the car are only 3 years old so shouldn't be that saggy/bad - I hope?

Thats fair enough, i wasnt thinking of it from a maintenance point of view, i was thinkining purely from a tuining/driving point of view. Pointless being able to go fast in a straight line then leaning terribly around a corner. I know, as thats what my car is doing as its far to high.

S60D5
Thursday 16th February 2006, 22:36
Thats fair enough, i wasnt thinking of it from a maintenance point of view, i was thinkining purely from a tuining/driving point of view. Pointless being able to go fast in a straight line then leaning terribly around a corner. I know, as thats what my car is doing as its far to high.

Yeah, I was thinking this too! Although the D5 won't be putting anywhere near the amount of power down as the Rica'd T5! ;)

Even if they get done seperately, it will only be a few weeks at most!

TangoDeltaSierra3
Thursday 16th February 2006, 23:23
Whos gunna nick a D5 tho ? Or even a T5 for that matter given the choice of cars to nick these days.

S60D5
Thursday 16th February 2006, 23:48
Whos gunna nick a D5 tho ? Or even a T5 for that matter given the choice of cars to nick these days.

Hopefully no one!

Off the top of my head, I can think of three local cars that have been stolen which included a Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 and older style Astra! It would seem people will nick anything these days!!!

JimboT5
Thursday 16th February 2006, 23:54
I think people will tend to steal cars that are easier to break into, which in the case of the D5 you'll probably be alright because it's fairly modern. However with Mondeos and Astras, depending on the spec level, may have little or no theft prevention/deterrents.

There's more chance of your D5 being stolen with bigger wheels, lower suspension and a exhaust tip because it will attract attention to itself! Therefore the tracker will probably be a prudent investment after the modifications have been done. :)

S60D5
Friday 17th February 2006, 00:00
There's more chance of your D5 being stolen with bigger wheels, lower suspension and a exhaust tip because it will attract attention to itself! Therefore the tracker will probably be a prudent investment after the modifications have been done. :)

Quite!

JimboT5
Friday 17th February 2006, 00:04
Quite!

Mind you, all you need is one of those "Diesel fuel only" stickers by the fuel cap, and no-one would ever dream of nicking it! Why waste money on a tracker? :troutslap

S60D5
Friday 17th February 2006, 00:07
Mind you, all you need is one of those "Diesel fuel only" stickers by the fuel cap, and no-one would ever dream of nicking it! Why waste money on a tracker? :troutslap

I was awaiting something of that nature! :slap:

Vikingxl
Friday 17th February 2006, 07:48
At least you are getting rid of the overgrown moped!

MOB
Friday 17th February 2006, 14:19
Tinted Windows

Having seen a dark S60 (D5 nontheless) with medium tints, I think it looks the business. I had tints on my T5 and liked the look so this will be done before the summer.

I'd agree with that!

http://premium1.uploadit.org/tobmob//DSCF0016.JPG

jimmyc
Friday 17th February 2006, 17:27
thats a really nice car ,what is the engine mod you are talkin about and what extra horse are you expecting ,plus how will it affect your consumption??? rich

jimmyc
Friday 17th February 2006, 17:29
also if you do go for the dash rings please will you post a pic or link so i can veiw them, really appreciate it regards rich

S60D5
Friday 17th February 2006, 17:49
I'd agree with that!

http://premium1.uploadit.org/tobmob//DSCF0016.JPG

What percentage tint is that?? Love it!

Different back to front tints??

S60D5
Friday 17th February 2006, 17:54
also if you do go for the dash rings please will you post a pic or link so i can veiw them, really appreciate it regards rich

Heres a pic on another car, although my interior is all black so I think it'd look better!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f300/darrencarpenter/General/dashrings.jpg

S60D5
Friday 17th February 2006, 17:56
thats a really nice car ,what is the engine mod you are talkin about and what extra horse are you expecting ,plus how will it affect your consumption??? rich

Powerklick? - http://www.powerklick.co.uk

Claimed 193bhp and 420NM, its a plug and play tuning box. Shouldn't have much effect on consumption (some people report a better consumption even).

I'd rather have a full engine remap, but as this is less than £200 vs £550 I'll give it a go, then compare it to Rica and decide if Rica is worth the extra £350++

MOB
Friday 17th February 2006, 17:56
My tints are 35% all round except windscreen. Perfect for a dark car IMO, I was unsure before but love it!

Done by a top notch guy in Leicester for just £180

S60D5
Friday 17th February 2006, 17:57
My tints are 35% all round except windscreen. Perfect for a dark car IMO, I was unsure before but love it!

Done by a top notch guy in Leicester for just £180

Good price.

Any trouble with the law? Do you find much reduced visability (esp at night?)

madness
Friday 17th February 2006, 19:37
i think the nebulas are best well avoided. they reduce the turning circle even further(lockstops have to be fitted to stop body conflict) and on full lock over bumps the body clearance is so small the wheel can rub as it hits the bump. more hassle than anything

S60D5
Friday 17th February 2006, 19:48
i think the nebulas are best well avoided. they reduce the turning circle even further(lockstops have to be fitted to stop body conflict) and on full lock over bumps the body clearance is so small the wheel can rub as it hits the bump. more hassle than anything

My 17's rub :pants:

How do people get away with the 19" Heico's then?

volvotuning
Friday 17th February 2006, 19:49
My 17's rub :pants:

How do people get away with the 19" Heico's then?

They only drive in a straight line! :bricks:

Adam.

jimmyc
Friday 17th February 2006, 20:37
sd please let me know how you go on when you fit this engine chip, for performance and consumption should be very interesting rich

S60D5
Friday 17th February 2006, 22:01
sd please let me know how you go on when you fit this engine chip, for performance and consumption should be very interesting rich

Will do.

madness
Friday 17th February 2006, 22:12
They only drive in a straight line! :bricks:

Adam.

well they cant do much else!!!!
17's should be ok. are sure your lockstops are not worn?

S60D5
Friday 17th February 2006, 22:15
well they cant do much else!!!!
17's should be ok. are sure your lockstops are not worn?

Not sure, as soon as I put 16's on there I don't get rubbing, although they're only 205 width!

Lots of people complain of rubbing on 17's though, I'll get it looked at when in for its next service.

MOB
Saturday 18th February 2006, 09:50
Good price.

Any trouble with the law? Do you find much reduced visability (esp at night?)

I've had no trouble with the law - I know they aren't legal but hopefully driving a Volvo the plod wont be interested..........

No problems with visibility - they look like a very light tint from the inside.

madness
Monday 20th February 2006, 17:05
you answer's right there! did it originally have 16's and you put the 17's on?

every wheel/tyre combo has a different lockstop.
the 17's would touch without the correct lockstops

GATHY
Monday 20th February 2006, 19:21

mine pulls like a train, loses traction in 3rd on boost 193bhp estimated although when i ordered my powerclick i told them i wanted everything available>> fuel still the same not noticed owt different.

est 0 to 60 7ish depending how quick you can change gear.
defo worth the money instant inprovement
(thats way im sell the d5 its not good enough lol )

powerclick going for £150 if anyone wants one :slap: pm me

S60D5
Saturday 25th February 2006, 10:12
you answer's right there! did it originally have 16's and you put the 17's on?

every wheel/tyre combo has a different lockstop.
the 17's would touch without the correct lockstops

Nah, its always had 17" wheels, I've just got some 16" ones for the winter as 17" Winter tyres = £££.

I'll have the lockstops looked at when its in for its service, ta! :)