PDA

View Full Version : result

craig
Thursday 16th February 2006, 20:48
there seemed to be a bit of uncertainty as to the performance gains of using shell optimax or ordinary 95 octane fuel with the 280 rica so i tested it my self . since having the 280 rica i only ever used optimax ,but then heard its ok to use 95 octane as thats what its set up to run on. so i took the car for a long blast using the last of the optimax in the tank, then stopped and filled up with 95 octane ,so off i went again for another long blast ,the performance was noticably slower and was not as smooth delivery of power it was only responsive high in the rev range and seemed to run out of steam way before red line . not to mention this morning when it was cold it was gutless untill it was running at full temp so now ive gotta wait untill the damn stuff has run out before i can get some performance back , il probably throw some octane booster in it in for the mean time . so if your not using optimax ,try it.

iGGy
Thursday 16th February 2006, 22:24
I think you've proven the 'it can do it if you really have to' running on 95 without detrimental effects on the engine.

Octane :B_steerin

volvotuning
Thursday 16th February 2006, 23:12
there seemed to be a bit of uncertainty as to the performance gains of using shell optimax or ordinary 95 octane fuel with the 280 rica so i tested it my self . since having the 280 rica i only ever used optimax ,but then heard its ok to use 95 octane as thats what its set up to run on. so i took the car for a long blast using the last of the optimax in the tank, then stopped and filled up with 95 octane ,so off i went again for another long blast ,the performance was noticably slower and was not as smooth delivery of power it was only responsive high in the rev range and seemed to run out of steam way before red line . not to mention this morning when it was cold it was gutless untill it was running at full temp so now ive gotta wait untill the damn stuff has run out before i can get some performance back , il probably throw some octane booster in it in for the mean time . so if your not using optimax ,try it.

I'm surprised it made such a significant difference on your car (normally the difference is less pronounced), but it does show how crucial 98 RON is for the full map.

Adam.