PDA

View Full Version : How long should boot support struts last

t5owner
Thursday 16th February 2006, 10:19
Some of the regulars may remember my thread on here regarding the replacement of my S70`s boot struts in about november of last year

So now the question how long would they be expected to last as mine have both failed after just 4 months of being fitted

I`m quite narked about this as i don`t even open the boot that often so for both to fail at the same time is a bummer

I`m just wandering if is was supplied with the correct ones as the oem ones that i replaced stated "W/SPOILER" on the struts and the replacement aftermarket ones do not although i`m sure i ordered the "with spoiler" versions

Anybody any ideas

I will be onto the place i got them from to see about replacements a very well known company although i`ll mention no names on here for now

Cheers

stuart

mraldonnelly
Thursday 16th February 2006, 11:31
On the saloon there are indeed two types - with and without spoiler. This is because the with spoiler ones need to lift and support more weight (which always confused me because a spoiler doesn't weight THAT much).

They should certainly last longer than four months. However, they may not work properly due to a combination of factors.

They are gas filled and obviously in cold weather the pressure inside is lower. Combined with the fact that they're not designed to support a boot with a spoiler might make them less effective in the cold. When it warms up they may work properly again although one has to question why they would be affected by the cold so early in their life.

Regards

Andy