PDA

View Full Version : ECU upgrades

Azza
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 17:41
Hi all, i've just joined here, i've got a 2001 c70 T5 convertible, got it last year.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ECU upgrade experiences they'd like to share with me for this model of car as i'm seriously thinking about getting one soon.

Many thanks,

Azza

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 17:53
First off Welcome to the forum.

I owned a slightly tuned C70 until recently (ooops) - which quite happily ran 340BHP
- the power graph and particulars are list in my vBGarage
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=10

I would say if you are thinking about it then the best idea IMHO is the RICA upgrade available from Volvotuning.

But that is just my vote.

There are others BSR and TME being the main contenders. I would avoid Superchips like the plague, IMHO.

Azza
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 18:17
Bugger me! 340bhp, ouch, that must have moved like ££££-off-a-shovel!

I've been chatting to Adam at Chip Tuning, think he posts on here and other boards, very helpful he is too and i am indeed leaning towards the Rica.

I presume you managed to get to that kind of power with a Stage 2 or something ?

Thanks for the welcome,

Azza

SaffronC70
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 18:22
Hi there,

I agree with Dave, go for a RICA or MTE and you won't be dissapointed.

Also, in my opinion and past expenditure, save up for a decent brake with big calipers etc, especially if you are going to keep the car long term. Something like AP Racing, High Spec or Porshe/Brembro kits will be awesome.

Check out my website for a few details.

Welcome to the madness !

Chris

Azza
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 18:31
Hi Chris, thanks for the advice.

I'm definitely going to be keeping the car long-term, so new brakes would definitely something i'd think about. Also thinking about the sway bar and strut brace (not sure if they're the same thing ??!) but i've heard that the ride quality could suffer ?

Azza

SaffronC70
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 18:35
Do the Volvo strut brace for a start, easy to DIY and good improvement.

Lower anti-roll bar can be upgraded, IPD is the main contender.

Do you know what suspension you have ? Normal high/floaty or the Sport Chassis ?

Chris

Azza
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 18:37
Excellent, that's what i want to hear, i've not really had any experience tinkering with cars plus i don't really have an awful lot of time to do things, so the easier the better!

Hmm, not sure, is there any easy way to find out ? Forgive my hopelessness!

Azza

Martinr
Thursday 16th February 2006, 10:32
Welcome to the forum. Stick around I am sure you will enjoy it.

Lots of folk on here with ECU upgrades.

Whereabouts in the country are you? There are plenty of meets and it is not unknown for them to occur spontaneously:) I am sure someone local to you would be willing to show you what the upgrade does to the performance.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 16th February 2006, 13:06
Bugger me! 340bhp, ouch, that must have moved like ££££-off-a-shovel!

I've been chatting to Adam at Chip Tuning, think he posts on here and other boards, very helpful he is too and i am indeed leaning towards the Rica.

I presume you managed to get to that kind of power with a Stage 2 or something ?

Thanks for the welcome,

AzzaIt did - until muggins 'ere decided to go "off road" !

That was a Stage II RICA. (custom mapped on the dyno)

The lack of roof is certainly something you can improve. Like Chris said - I would defo get a front Strut brace (and maybe a rear one too?).

IMHO big brake kits are as much for show as anything. I think you'd be far better off getting decent fast road pads e.g. Ferodo DS 2500 - tried, tested and proved to be excellent all rounders.

Azza
Friday 17th February 2006, 17:41
OK, i'll presume all of you with ECU upgrades have "done the right thing" and informed your insurance companies of the modification...

If so, what kind of increase did you have to pay ?

I just phoned my company and they quoted me roughly a 50% additional cost, how does this compare with other experiences ?

Thanks

Azza

Murphy
Friday 17th February 2006, 17:50
I never bothered on my T5, not because i didn't want to pay the extra, it was because i wouldn't have got insured ! My remaped / filtered / lowered 2005 Skoda Fabia was cheaper to insure modified than i could get standard ? If you try Adrian Flux, they love modified cars. I would always advise covering all mods on insurance. Fortunatly my latest is standard :)

Liddo
Sunday 19th February 2006, 20:47
DEFFO DEFFO DEFFO go to VT for the upgrade, and dont do it via post like I did, cos it cost me nearly 900 of our English pounds to sort out. I bent a rod, because my actuator regulator was stuffed, or something like that!!!
I over boosted :(

Vikingxl
Sunday 19th February 2006, 21:50
Get it done the difference is huge and you will be smiling everytime you put your foot on the pedal!