PDA

View Full Version : ETM and GT Buying questions

pzorb
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 11:38
I've been looking at a few C70s, I'll keep my questions short and sweet!

First off, is the GT pack just better gadgets or does it also mean better suspension? I've searched the threads without a solid answer.
Secondly, what year / VIN / reg plate was ETM fitted to the T5s?
Is the ETM the only mechanical difference between the ages? Some new 'old shape' C70s have the newer front grill etc

Thanks!!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 11:56
GT spec can be a blessing and a pain. The electric seats mean that getting in and out of the back is a slow process. This is not important if you dont plan to have that many in the back. Usually you will have the sports suspension on the C70 anyway but the GTs defo should. Key thing to spot is whether or not you have the mid dash speaker. This means you have the premier sound system - which is very very nice. Minimally you should ensure that you get the SC-901 head unit. GT spec may or may not include the winter pack (heated seats). GTs usually have 1/2 leather 1/2 alcantera seat covers too.
TBH I would look for what you want out of the car balanced against repair bills (more stuff to go wrong principal).
Look for the premier sound system coz it is wicked
Look for trip computer, heated seats, nice alloys and FSH.

Going back over what I didnt like about my own C70 - wind whistle above 80 mph, lack of trip computer and heated seats. Black paint is a pain to keep nice.
What I really liked about it was the dark interior (low maintenance) andthe sound system. Seeing as I had mine tuned nearly from day 1 it is difficult to say about the stock engine.

1999 was when the B5234T3 engine with the ETM came in. This engine also features coil packs instead of HT leads (more reliable), stronger internals and variable valve timing. The key is the badge - blue badged = ME7.

Personally I wish we could have a manual throttle with all the benefits of the VVT head and stronger internals.

pzorb
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 12:17
Awesome Dave, thanks for that. When you say stronger internals, I'm assuming the <1999 internals were the same as the 850R/V70R and good for 350brake?

One thing that bugs me is that most I've seen have Canistos. Not a fan at all!

I'm getting tired of the 855s all-or-none understeer on the twisties. As you've had both the 855 and the c70 (albeit both not exactly stock), how'd the handling differ?

the_boy
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 13:26
Correction Mr Dave...

Mine is a December 1998 C70 GT with a black badge yet has ME7 :bricks:

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 14:16
Correction Mr Dave...

Mine is a December 1998 C70 GT with a black badge yet has ME7 :bricks:
Well there you go. LOL

I suggest then that looking for a throttle body on the nearside and a cable would therefore be the most conclusive proof of pre-ME7.

That aside - I changed my suspenders on my C70 for eibachs and monroe reflex. Many would say that my handling was not good - seeing as I crash it? Still I reckon the C70 are a good fast road car. Understeer was only apparent (to me when really pushing hard). Anyway understeer is safer than oversteer - as I can testifly!

Internals are good for 400bhp. You can push 1.6 bar into them. Much stronger than the 850R/V70R (p1).

ME7 is not as brutal as the earlier the revs dont fall back as quick, when you take your foot off the pedal. I found that meant the gear changes are easier and not as jerky - the engine is smoother - as is the power delivery underload. It is an important but subtle difference and like the AT vs MT debate we have seen many times before - it is down to personal pref, as to which you like. Having owned both and driven over 25 T5s in all shapes and sizes - I do prefer the ME7 power delivery slightly edges it. Dont get me wrong the B5234T5 is a fab engine and I am slightly torn between the 2.

SaffronC70
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 17:33
The Canistos look like Mercedes SL wheels to a degree - which are pretty cool; nothing stopping you changing the wheels though !

Regarding suspension, the Sports Chassis is the option you have to look out if you are unsure iirc.

Lots of the toys are optional, so again, the original receipt/delivery note for the car will explain all.

I agree with Dave though about the ME7 vs B5234T5, I too am torn between the two. ME7 is smooth and powerful, B5 is point and squirt, both pretty cool.

Whitey

Add me to MSN if you wanna chat about anything.

After_Shock
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 18:26
Dave you sure the later year C70 engines can take 400bhp?

Gt's dont come with electric seats as standard but do come with the heated seats on the GT's.

the_boy
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 19:26
You sure After_Shock?

Mine is a GT and comes with electric heated seats.
As a top of the range unit you would expect it to come with all toys :D

pzorb
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 19:45
As a top of the range unit you would expect it to come with all toys :D
No wonder it's a woman's car! ROFL :saythat:

A black T5 GT is a man's beasty tho!

the_boy
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 22:34
Don't get one if you want any practicality whatsoever though Pzorb. Think about the future too, at the time I loved it but as time moved on it's become very impratical. The boot lip makes it difficult to get big things in the boot and the electric seats don't come forward far enough to get big things in the back. It's got alcanterra all through it so a dog would make it difficult. Picking friends up is a pain as you need to get out and show them how the electric seats work etc....

Great car though, especially with the strut brace. The handling is much better. As with all Volvos the turning circle is horrendous. You'll get embarrassed with the steering stops as they can groan a lot. Just needs some grease on them but something to be aware of.

Sound system is the best I have ever heard although the CD unit in the SC900 can be awkward. They hate copied CDs and can get stuck from time to time. I got round this by buying an IPOD and using an FM transmitter. Sound is just as good through the 11 speakers.

It also lacks a rear wiper. It's only a minor thing but can bug some people.

And go with Silver, much easier to clean and looks sleeker than black!!

Have fun with whatever you choose though :)

01c70t5
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 23:27
Picking friends up is a pain as you need to get out and show them how the electric seats work etc....

As with all Volvos the turning circle is horrendous.

It also lacks a rear wiper. It's only a minor thing but can bug some people.

3 very minor irritants...

Luckily I got the manual seats, but you still have to show people which handle they're using to move them forward (not adjusting the height!).

Turning circle, well I could turn an oil tanker round quicker!

The rear wiper is just starting to creep in as an annoyance, but the heating element does it's job well enough. When you're moving, the rain-off does the stuff too!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 16th February 2006, 12:41
Dave you sure the later year C70 engines can take 400bhp?

Gt's dont come with electric seats as standard but do come with the heated seats on the GT's.
Depends how you do it. If you are able to maintain the same torque for longer (say to 6500) it is possible to deliver 400bhp. So if you look at my power graph in my Vbgarage - extending the line will deliver the power because power is a mathematical function of torque and revs i.e. bhp = (torque * revs)/5252

The torque limit on the engine will remain the same - you just need a big enough turbo to do it.

pzorb
Thursday 16th February 2006, 14:02
Thanks for the replys guys, especially the_boy and 01c70t5 for the 'living with a c70' angle.

I'd really like a car that isn't quite as... little things just piss me off with the 855, like having to keep fiddling with the stereo between traffic and motorway, having to set the wipe delay on the rear (why doesn't it just come on when the fronts do?), having to explain to passengers to pull the catch towards them to get out as well telling people to feel for the boot catch. ETC.
I love the way it drives though, weighty but not sluggish - a bit like a good rugby forward! Ruled out a v70 p1/p2 because I just see them as my 855 with slightly less space without increased benefits, and I find saloons wholly pointless.

I enjoy batting around in the 855 because it's so unsuspecting. Obviously I'll miss the loading capability, but I only really use that space either at xmas with a huge tree, or july and september when I move between student lodgings.

I'm quite tempted to keep and reinsure the 855 for 2000k and overhaul it, and get a slightly more comfy more capable motor for everyday. It seems so wasteful, but with the money I'll get back for a 180k N-reg I'd rather keep my 'investments' in it by enjoying them than cutting the losses for the sake of a grand.

What do you think?

Liddo
Monday 20th February 2006, 12:45
Whats wrong with Cannistos???? Ive just got my C70, and I think they look great on the Coupe

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/scoobylid/MrsMgooFront.jpg

Mines got "Special" soft pack leather!!!! Extra padding, and there electric/heated too :D..............oh, and the SC900! ££££ me its LOUD

As Wobbley said, the wind noise at speed is a pain. Just turn the 900 up ;)

pzorb
Monday 20th February 2006, 13:19
Whats wrong with Cannistos????
Just they're not for me! I think they look too much like standard equipment, a bit like alloys on old non-T5 850s. I wouldn't mind them, but it's a buyer's market!