PDA

View Full Version : Reverse ITC Set Up

swordy21
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 09:57
I'm just umming and ahhring about reversing my intercooler set up. I know a couple of you guys have done this. Anyone have any top tips? Also what dimensions, lengths, bends of tubes should be used, or is there a kit readily available for purchase?

No other reason that I like the look of this set up, (and just wanted some shiney tubes)

Cheers

Redbrick
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 11:03
I've heard... a lot of money for little gain...

Unless you DIY the bits...

http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VLE-680-204&Category_Code=VL-S70-en

fraz13
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 11:18
All pipes are availible through the stealer,

Rubber pipe from top of cooler to metal over engine pipe was £27

Metal over engine pipe which Spesh said was around £30

Plastic pipe from bottom on the cooler to the inlet manifold which again is meant to be around £27

Rubber pipe from the plastic pipe to the idle control valve which was £10

You could probs buy original Volvo parts for around £100

But as Redbrick pointed out theres little gain, I havent noticed and difference apart from the look

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM2136.jpg

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 11:27
The EST RIP Kit also shortens the distance that air has to travel from the turbo to the manifold by routing the piping from the turbo to the top of the intercooler then from the bottom of the intercooler to the throttle body instead of running pipe from the turbo to the bottom of the intercooler and then from the top back down to the throttle body. The result? Quicker response time: the air has less distance to travel before entering the motor
By my recogning - The distance is irrelevant as this is a fixed volume of air in a closed system. Still they are very shiny!

Muddy
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 11:28
Just to jump in om this thread, does anyone have the part number for the pipe that you would put a dump valve into. The person who fitted the valve to my car before i bought it butchered it and I would like to replace it. The car is a 97 S70 T5. Thanks.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 11:31
I have spare pipework from my ex-99 C70.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 11:33
BTW the only reason I can think that the early t5s had the original design was cost. Shorter pipes means cheaper to make.

Only when it was found that there were issues with the throttle body icing up was the "bottom to top" design installed.

fraz13
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 11:34
This pipe?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM2132a.jpg

Volvo Part Number: 9161095

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 11:38
Yep - defo got an intact one of thoes

Muddy
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 11:51
Thats the very fellow Fraz, how much Dave ?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 11:58
£15 plus P&P. Ring hamish - it's in a box (of wobbly bits) at VT.

swordy21
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 16:56
£15 plus P&P. Ring hamish - it's in a box (of wobbly bits) at VT.

Ha Ha - I saw that box. Thought it was quite funny.

Thanks for the advice guys, I didn't think there would be any performance benefit, and understand the cost thing. Just I think the shiny bits would look better than the standard black pipe, mind you I suspose I could take that off and polish it.

Murphy
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 17:07
I haven't read about the old reverse IC mod in a while !!!

it was all the rage a couple of years ago, how things change. ;)