PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Main Crankshaft Oil Seal

Guilo2k4
Tuesday 14th February 2006, 22:58
Hi All

My 850 T5 is going in for Rear Main crankshaft oil seal on friday and i am getting a A&P Clutch in at the same time.

However my mate the mechanic said the parts supplier says unless a new flywheel is fitted at the same time , the clutch wont be warranted.

Question is - IS THIS TRUE mateys and if so how much is a flywheel as i cant get a price until tomorrow and i am impatient LOL :-)

Cheers

Kev.

P.s I think im leaning towards an S60 T5 very shortly, then rica'd.

Tomcat
Tuesday 14th February 2006, 23:18
Best bet is to PM Hamish at VT and ask them, they deal with this sort of thing all the time....

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 00:55
What complete load of ££££££££.... I'd ring AP customer services and get some advice. No clutch centre would require you to replace the Flywheel.

If you're doing the crank seal it does advise you to fit new bolts though..

Is the AP one an uprated one...?
If it is a competition clutch there is probably no Warrenty anyway....

Guilo2k4
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 09:03
Cheers JudgeNinja for the reply mate and also tomcat (lol) nearly missed ya out.

Mate is just ordering the clutch and new bolts, gonna cost £ 275.00 + vat for flywheel (main stealer).

IF ITS NOT REQUIRED ( WHY WASTE MONEY ).

Anyway after an S60 T5 so i just wanted clutch done and seal before my T5 goes up for sale.

cheers
All

John
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 10:37
Yes what a load of rubbish, would question whether you get parts from someone who advises this! Even if the flywheel has been damaged on the face by running a slipping clutch and the rivets have damaged the face, most flywheels can be skimmed at any competent machine shop, damage would have to be severe to require a new flywheel. But as your clutch is being replaced due to oil leak, do not see you should have any problems.

nobananas
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 23:08
Absolute nonsence ! If we insisted on replacing the flywheel everytime we replaced a clutch we'd be out of buisiness ! A light sand with some corse grit emery-paper to remove the glaze and a good de-grease should be all it needs.