PDA

View Full Version : V70: Should I hold out for a Mk2 'new shape' or not?

BrightonBreezy
Saturday 5th March 2005, 11:41
guys,
I seek your opinion as to whether I should hold out for a newer Mk2 car.
I'm actively looking to buy a V70 T5 within a tightly controlled (by her indoors) budget.
I could probably get a Mk1 car ('96 - '00) easily enough. If I'm determined and lucky enough I may be able to get a new shape Mk2 ('00-).
My question is: how much difference is there? Is the newer model such a significant improvement that it's really worth my while waiting for one to come along?
Thanks.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th March 2005, 04:03
Should you decide to tune it - you will be able to get more umph out of a phase 2. Volvotuning are using a phase 2 V70 to demonstrate how far you can go. The results are pretty astounding. I would go for one if budget allows. From a stock perspective there is less in it p1 to p2. Don't forget that p1 cars come with and without the ME7 engine management - namely the fly by wire throttle and variable valve timing. This is where alot of benefits can be gained (started in about 1999/2000, but the absense of throttle cable is a dead give away :wink: )

Finally there are the esthetics and the interior design changes - which you will have to decide on.

Personally if I had the money I would have a V70 P2.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th March 2005, 04:04
I also think that a P2 will hold its value better

BrightonBreezy
Monday 7th March 2005, 10:41
Thanks for that, mate.
Do you know whether the handling/suspension/brakes improved from the P1 to the P2, to better cope with a tuned T5 engine?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 7th March 2005, 11:54
The P1 was more of a face-lifted 850. The underlying beast was still an old design. The internals on the P2 engines are better able to cope. The chassis is a newer design - but let's face it Volvo estates are not that nibble anyway. P2's have a strut brace integrated with the top engine mount - so it is possible to argue that yes the P2 is better set up. I love'em all, but like I said you can put more power through a P2 engine, without having to change the internals.

There is nothing wrong with either p1 or p2 suspensions. Braking can be improved on all with better pad selection. P2 has a strut brace - but you can buy them for the V70 P1 and 850's anyway. BTW Handling is not a power issue IMHO - it is much more subtle.

V8guitar
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 00:48
I can't give much of a view on the tech stuff but I've had a V70 Classic ( pre 2000 ) and "upgraded" to a 2001.

Main differences to me are:
P2 seems less "aggressive" and slighly smoother/refined, and perhaps a touch quicker.
Interior ( I think P2 is a big improvement )
P1 seems a touch more nimble but not sure if this is just because it feels more substantial
I miss the wood from my P1...

Biggest difference.....are you ready...the turning circle on the P2 is really poor....not the sort of thing you normally notice, but its bad!!

Personally, I think both are great as well and I wouldn't hesitate getting either. I mainly changed due to mileage and I felt I wanted the most up to date shape....P2 is also slightly lower than you expect...its quite squat!

I also have the geartronic which is a bit hit or miss...Try it before you buy as I'm not sure if I'd have a geartronic again.

BrightonBreezy
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 11:32
Thanks guys.
A friend of who had a '98 V70 and has now moved on to a '04 V70 (neither T5s) also agrees with your opinions. He's not convinced by the exterior and interior changes but the P2 is definitely the better car.
I'll start lobbying for a budget increase.

V8guitar
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 13:48
I do love the Classic V70 ( P1 ) and the 850's - I think they look great. But I really have been converted to the P2 now! The look has really grown on me because they are actually lower than you expect. I need to change the grill though!!

BrightonBreezy
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 15:52
VPTuning have a XC style replacement grill for the 70 series.
http://www.vptuning.com/parts/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=147

siamblue
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 16:50
God that is dear with postage that would be around the £140.
Thiink they are a lot cheaper over here.
Plus tax on that baby too.

Bracer
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 17:42
A series one is closer to the pure driving feel of the 850, but then again that ain't for everyone :)

BrightonBreezy
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 18:07
God that is dear with postage that would be around the £140.
Thiink they are a lot cheaper over here.
Plus tax on that baby too.

Where can you get this sort of stuff in the UK? (at sensible prices)

siamblue
Wednesday 9th March 2005, 21:18
Nordic might do them and if you are a member of VOC you get 10% off as well.10% OFF at Victors too,