PDA

View Full Version : V70R rear brake options

Carlos13
Sunday 12th February 2006, 20:48
Discs/pads/probably handbrake shoes had it on my car, wondered if there is anything I should consider other than OEM volvo parts? Also looking for an article about fitting rear-discs if anyone has seen one.

I think the front discs are still 280mm, perhaps someone can tell from this pic (http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7468/2266/1024/doni%20oct%2005%20018.jpg) ? Front brakes look new though, so I won't replace these just yet.

BlackBeast
Sunday 12th February 2006, 23:46
Dude, fill in your signature so we know the exact car you have, as you are talking about 280mm front discs then its a P1 V70R, and they are most likely to be 302mm. Pic isnt working for me.

Anyway, back to the rear brakes. You could always be the first P1 (as far as im aware) in the UK to have P2 'R' rear calipers, pads and discs. Of course this will not be cheap, but its an option, and you did ask for other options :)

Carlos13
Monday 13th February 2006, 09:08
Dunno what happened with the link, anyway its on here (http://carlwhitwell.blogspot.com/), there is a picture of one of the front wheels.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 13th February 2006, 19:02
You are most likely to have the 302mm - I would be v surprised if they were 280s.

Best VFM option for great brake performance is Ferodo DS 2500s - available from HLM (aka Volvotuning) and ferodo DS Permier for the rear. Rear doesnt have as much to do as the front. I think (though you'd better check) that as a forum member there is a discount available?

Carlos13
Monday 13th February 2006, 20:37
I have DS2500s on my Impreza track car, they are brilliant but also paired with AP 6 pots, I won't be modding the Volvo that far.

I see that Kalmar Union offer rear cross drilled/grooved 295mm discs for £159. Anyone had these fitted? I wonder if these are direct replacements or if they require any caliper adjustment. I will contact them tomorrow to ask.

siamblue
Monday 13th February 2006, 21:19
I have DS2500s on my Impreza track car, they are brilliant but also paired with AP 6 pots, I won't be modding the Volvo that far.

I see that Kalmar Union offer rear cross drilled/grooved 295mm discs for £159. Anyone had these fitted? I wonder if these are direct replacements or if they require any caliper adjustment. I will contact them tomorrow to ask.

Hi Carlos, I have 302mm fr and 295 rr grooved and drilled, they weren't too good when i first had them fitted, but i had the old redstuff pads, and they were not a good combo for the car with lots of fade,
I have now fitted DS2500 on the front and they work just fine now :)

Gary

PS No need for adjustment at all on the calipers,

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 14th February 2006, 03:43
Personally speaking - I think pad choice is the key.