PDA

View Full Version : Will the S60R block fit a T5 head?

After_Shock
Sunday 12th February 2006, 11:29
As I cant get on here very often now, i.e just once a week when im working lates or on a sunday when its quiet as my comp still wont let me on ive been researching on the american boards and another UK forum, I know shame on me :slap:

Anyways im looking to get set up with a forged rods and piston set up, and the general idea is to go with a second block which can fit the bits into and then swap the blocks so that the car is hardly off the road.

However was thinking the S60/V70R block runs with forged internals anyways so how difficult would it be to swap that block onto a T5 head? Is it a straight swap or would the crank etc need modifications?

If its too much of a pain can anyone recommend where to get hold a used T5 block, 2319cc?

Thanks

SaffronC70
Sunday 12th February 2006, 11:37
Mate, look on EBay for a T5 block.

Al's new block made up by SW autos. I've seen it in life, it looks the nuts.

Bit steep, but a hell of a lot of potential there !

Chris

SaffronC70
Sunday 12th February 2006, 11:38
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-Performance-Race-Engine-based-on-Volvo-T5-block_W0QQitemZ4612494170QQcategoryZ10432QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

spesh
Sunday 12th February 2006, 12:04
seems very strange the set up on that block, 1998 V70R block, as all of you will know that is a 2.3 but yet somehow he has managed to fit 2004 S60R rods and pistons which if not mistaken a 2.5 so how can you get a 2.5 piston to fit a 2.3 block,

After_Shock
Sunday 12th February 2006, 12:24
Yeah ive read through the specs on that seems a bit odd especially as spesh says why go with 2.5l pistons in a 2.3l block and why sell it so soon and have another made at a very high cost!?

pzorb
Sunday 12th February 2006, 12:26
how can you get a 2.5 piston to fit a 2.3 block?

block diamond honed/ rebored to 2.5 l
Surely that explains it?

SaffronC70
Sunday 12th February 2006, 12:27
More power.

:)

If you have ever met Al and/or Stu you will definetly understand !

If in doubt, don't bid.

Chris

Al115
Sunday 12th February 2006, 12:43
That's basically it... the quest for more power, more power, more power...

The block is rebored to 2.5 litres as Martin said.

If anyone is interested in buying, feel free to PM me or email with any questions.

Cheers,

After_Shock
Sunday 12th February 2006, 13:07
What sort of cost would be associated with getting pistons and rods fitted into the current block of a car?

Also what sort of guarantee if any do you get with that block considering if it goes bang or something breaks how easy are parts to come by for it considering alot of it is custom?

Al115
Sunday 12th February 2006, 13:21
What sort of cost would be associated with getting pistons and rods fitted into the current block of a car?
No clue, sorry.

Also what sort of guarantee if any do you get with that block considering if it goes bang or something breaks how easy are parts to come by for it considering alot of it is custom?
As the ad says, it's sold "as seen", which means that the components in it are listed correctly, but it's the buyers' responsibility to fit it and tune it. So, if someone buys it and (eg) doesn't put any oil in it, there's no comeback. That's the same basis that I purchased the block on, and indeed the same basis that my next block will be bought on.

As for replacing the components, they're all parts that have been purchased for the purpose, so they should be easy enough to replace. Hope that clarifies.

After_Shock
Sunday 12th February 2006, 15:51
Just to clarify I take its you thats selling the block?

Secondly are you buying them pre built or getting blocks modified to suit your needs, i.e getting pistons etc and having them fitted in?

Al115
Sunday 12th February 2006, 19:29
Yes it's me selling the block (mentioned on another thread somewhere, sorry for not being clear). I had the block built to my own spec, then changed my mind a bit late in the process and decided to sell it. Basically I'm now thinking of 550 not 450bhp, although this does appear to be becoming an obsession...

S60D5
Sunday 12th February 2006, 19:33
Yes it's me selling the block (mentioned on another thread somewhere, sorry for not being clear). I had the block built to my own spec, then changed my mind a bit late in the process and decided to sell it. Basically I'm now thinking of 550 not 450bhp, although this does appear to be becoming an obsession...

Sorry I thought you said 550 there for a moment!!!

(Do you own Pirelli?)

volvotuning
Sunday 12th February 2006, 19:56
Al, how do you know the 450 bhp engine won't take 550 bhp? Surely if you've got the spare cash to mess around like this it's worth a shot?

Adam.

Al115
Monday 13th February 2006, 06:49
Al, how do you know the 450 bhp engine won't take 550 bhp? Surely if you've got the spare cash to mess around like this it's worth a shot?

Adam.

Call it a hunch :)

Or, for a more helpful answer... I've got the cash to build the engine once, but not to throw away after I've blown it up! I'd rather build another that's designed for even bigger power. So I'm happy with this one running 450...

Niles
Monday 13th February 2006, 12:00
I've got 1 you're welcome to have. Head seems ok, blocks fine other than the bearings etc are shagged. Only charge for it would be what YOU want to pay for it. pm me.

Mrsmopp
Friday 17th February 2006, 18:08
I take it you got a buyer for it Al? ;) You onto stage 2 now?

x

Al115
Friday 17th February 2006, 19:20
Nah, decided to keep it. Primarily a financial decision that I came to this week... going for an even more powerful engine than this one was never going to be an economical move!

Anyway I'll run it for a year while the finances recover and then go for the big one. :)