PDA

View Full Version : Electric seats

neevo
Saturday 11th February 2006, 21:39
Can standard heated seats (but not electric adjust) be replaced by fully electric seats easily? The seats in my recently bought T5 seem a bit damp and are a bit if a pain trying to adjust each trip whilst trying to get a comfortable driving position, I'm looking at somethign I can fiddle with quickly whilst stopped at lights rather than having to pull over to mess with.

Thanks.

mraldonnelly
Sunday 12th February 2006, 01:40
Can standard heated seats (but not electric adjust) be replaced by fully electric seats easily? The seats in my recently bought T5 seem a bit damp and are a bit if a pain trying to adjust each trip whilst trying to get a comfortable driving position, I'm looking at somethign I can fiddle with quickly whilst stopped at lights rather than having to pull over to mess with.

Thanks.

Hi Neevo,

Depends on whether or not the wiring is already there for the electrical adjustment. If it is then it's easy. If not you'll need a new loom which will cost a fair bit.

Other than that it's a simple case of undoing bolts and re-doing them. Oh, and also deactivating the sips bags if you have 'em too.

regards

Andy

weasel
Sunday 12th February 2006, 12:32
not taking into account the physcial routing, the wiring is pretty simple if the control module and switches are present. each seat has a fused live, to central elec unit and out from there to the diagnostics socket. if you're savvy, i reckon you could wire it bypassing the unit and directly to a spare pin on the obd socket, and then watch the dealer scratching their heads....
:-D

neevo
Sunday 12th February 2006, 12:34
Ah, looks like I'll just have to wait for summer to get rid of the dampness and will have to put up with the awkwardness of adjusting the seats.

Thanks for the help mraldonnelly.

Tomcat
Sunday 12th February 2006, 12:35
From past experience fitting other stuff like electric windows, all the plugs and wiring are usually there already.I would imagine you'll need the wiring to go from the seats to the car but the rest should already be built into the loom, you'll just need to get the correct relay and fuse for the fusebox.

neevo
Sunday 12th February 2006, 12:37
You lost me after the word simple there Weasel! I wouldnt know where to start looking for existing looms though I at least know where the OBD2 socket is! Waiting on my OBD2-usb2 dongle to get to start reading/resetting fault codes etc...next week hopefully :)

Thanks

weasel
Sunday 12th February 2006, 12:39
could be me being dumb, but i can't see a relay on the wiring diagram only an x rail connector thingummy. i think this is for the several connections to one pin on the obd socket....

neevo
Sunday 12th February 2006, 12:40
Aaah my head! Now tomcat's making it sound easy...

Will have to check in the fusebox and see if a certain proggie can tell me where the relay belongs.

Thanks too!

weasel
Sunday 12th February 2006, 12:42
if you look under the seats you may find connectors, perhaps tucked away under carpet?

neevo
Sunday 12th February 2006, 12:49
Too obvious for a simpleton like me weasel, doh!

Will go out later once it's stopped raining, need to pop-rivet a panel on the front wings so I can kill two hedgehogs with one tyre.

Thanks again, the help from all here has been most useful and greatly appreciated.