PDA

View Full Version : Window tinting

S60D5
Saturday 11th February 2006, 12:20
I know its not legal to tint the front windows of the vehicle, but I think the tinting of the rear windows only looks a bit odd.

I wouldn't mind getting mine tinted, but only if I could get all windows bar the windscreen done. I don't want a really dark tint, just a medium shade.

I want a pro job done (hate the bubbled look), and am quite happy to pay for a pro to do the job, but everyone I've asked won't do it due to the legality!

Anyone "know" anyone in the business that could help me? Preferably in the south if possible!

oblark
Saturday 11th February 2006, 13:07
I know its not legal to tint the front windows of the vehicle, but I think the tinting of the rear windows only looks a bit odd.

I wouldn't mind getting mine tinted, but only if I could get all windows bar the windscreen done. I don't want a really dark tint, just a medium shade.

I want a pro job done (hate the bubbled look), and am quite happy to pay for a pro to do the job, but everyone I've asked won't do it due to the legality!

Anyone "know" anyone in the business that could help me? Preferably in the south if possible!

Hi,

Try giving Shade Ace a ring on 023 80 908555.
There in Portswood, Southampton

t5 stealth
Saturday 11th February 2006, 15:04
hi darren,
the guy whos number i gave you will do it with any shade you want,,
he does very light tint to dark tint,
he is in burgess hill,
if you lost the number il give it to you again,,just ask

S60D5
Saturday 11th February 2006, 15:33
hi darren,
the guy whos number i gave you will do it with any shade you want,,
he does very light tint to dark tint,
he is in burgess hill,
if you lost the number il give it to you again,,just ask

Hi mate,

I think I must have lost the number! If you can forward it to me again that would be fab.

Cheers,

BlackBeast
Saturday 11th February 2006, 21:29

It can be legal, all depends what the standard tint is on the front windows!

Vikingxl
Sunday 12th February 2006, 23:18
Just watch out for the police with their tint testing kit if you do go illegal you may well end up with a fine!

t5tart
Monday 13th February 2006, 00:11
or having to strip it off at the side of the road or both

LeeT5
Monday 13th February 2006, 00:19

Well i got my tints done in Southampton by South Coast Tints. Cost £225 all in to do all 7 pieces of glass. Limo black at the rear graduated lighter at the front. All the tints are UV protective and scratch proof.

See hear http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=85 (click on my car)

You really notice the difference in summer when the sun dont burn your arm!
Also ppl stare cos they cant see you properly, LOL nosey fuc@ers!!
Also your air con doesnt work so hard to keep the car cool so make sure you get UV tints if you do go for it.

Also, it is legal to tint the front windows (when i say i dont mean the windscreen :slap: ) but they have to be no more than 35% tint ie allow 35% of daylight through. My rear glass is 5% and the rear passengers glass is 20%.

S60D5
Monday 13th February 2006, 09:18
Well i got my tints done in Southampton by South Coast Tints. Cost £225 all in to do all 7 pieces of glass. Limo black at the rear graduated lighter at the front. All the tints are UV protective and scratch proof.

I asked them, and they wanted £235 for the windows behind the B pillar, wouldn't put anything on the front passenger windows except some clear security film - which bumps up the price to £340 !

How long ago did you get it done?

The Flying Banana
Monday 13th February 2006, 09:27
I asked them, and they wanted £235 for the windows behind the B pillar, wouldn't put anything on the front passenger windows except some clear security film - which bumps up the price to £340 !

How long ago did you get it done?

Some will and some wont !! Ziebart in Edinburgh are a major player in this field apparently and although the factory tint = a certain percentage they will still apply a darker film. Police up here dont seem so bad or intent on the tint thing except where limo tint is used on the front 2 windows. No MOT laws against it so you will have to just shop about, some will do it but make you sign a disclaimer.

gibbo
Monday 13th February 2006, 09:58
There is a firm in Poole who will tint the fronts etc & by far the cheapest i know of.
I got quoted between £120 & £180 to remove the film from 2 windows & replace with new. The guy in Poole had a look & then quoted £50.
He did a mates VR6 all in for £160. Spot on job.

Gibbo

splatt
Monday 13th February 2006, 11:23
Also, it is legal to tint the front windows (when i say i dont mean the windscreen :slap: ) but they have to be no more than 35% tint ie allow 35% of daylight through. Who told you that..??

The windows are allowed to be tinted as long as windscreen allows 75% of light through and front sides 75%.

The main manufacturer if car glass is Pilkington who tint to the limits anyway so any further tint will make it fall outside of this limit.
check this
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/tinted%20windows%20information.pdf

Babybadger
Monday 13th February 2006, 14:30

Just mailed a guy who is selling his T5R on ebay (if you are on here make yourself known ;-) and thanks for the info )http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4612205038&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUK%3A1&rd=1

And I remarked to him how nice the front windows look and what tint were they to make them legal,
He said 'hi i believe they are 10 or 20 % they do make the car look a bit better than standard without over doing it.
kind regards '

I have limo black up to the 'b' pillar and am considering doing the front ones , but I want to stay 'euro' legal as it is a left hooker and may sell it in the future. I had 3M window tint on mine and boy, does it make a difference in the summer! The kids don't fry now......

The guy I used was in Bexley Kent (Kevlon Autofilm
7a, Bourne Parade, Bexley, Kent DA5 1LQ
Tel: 01322 523292), and he also advised me about the legality of it.

But it doesnt stop the royals and the royal protection squad using it , so why can't we ......All these cars still need MOT's

The law states that after 1985 your car must let in 75% light , which equates to a 25% tint including any original tint.

MattB
Monday 13th February 2006, 15:34
There is a firm in Poole who will tint the fronts etc & by far the cheapest i know of.
I got quoted between £120 & £180 to remove the film from 2 windows & replace with new. The guy in Poole had a look & then quoted £50.
He did a mates VR6 all in for £160. Spot on job.

Gibbo
Who was this Gibbo?

gibbo
Monday 13th February 2006, 16:43
Who was this Gibbo?

21st Century Tint
Unit 10, Broom Rd, Parkstone, Poole, Dorset BH12 4NL
Tel: 01202 382378

PM me first if your gonna use them mate

Gibbo

MattB
Monday 13th February 2006, 16:54
21st Century Tint
Unit 10, Broom Rd, Parkstone, Poole, Dorset BH12 4NL
Tel: 01202 382378

PM me first if your gonna use them mate

Gibbo
Typical - I live round the corner (ish) and didn't even know they were there.
Will be sure to shout you before I getin touch with them.
Cheers!

LeeT5
Friday 17th February 2006, 19:52
Who told you that..??

The windows are allowed to be tinted as long as windscreen allows 75% of light through and front sides 75%.

The main manufacturer if car glass is Pilkington who tint to the limits anyway so any further tint will make it fall outside of this limit.
check this
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/tinted%20windows%20information.pdf

Well my vehicle was tinted by south coast tints in southampton. In 2004 i recieved a letter dated 30 jan 2004. It is 3 pages long so i wont type it all but it states...

Amendments to legislation:
'...During the early part of 2004, section 32 of the road vehicles (construction & use) Regulations will be amended to include "window tint films" where such materials attached to the glass are capable of reducing the Visible Light Transmission of forward windows to below prescribed levels (70% VLT for front side windows). These changes will be back-dated to become applicable from 1st January 2004....

....From when the amendments to section 32 come into force, any motor retailer that sells a vehicle that has window tint films applied which reduce VLT levels to below prescribed levels forward of the B-post is commiting an offense and runs the risk of prosecution under section 75 of the 1988 road traffic act with reference to section 41 (which defers to construction and use regulations). In a similar way, anyone responsible for for the fitment of window tints which reduce VLT level to below prescribed levels on windows forward of the B-post is commiting an offense and can also be prosecuted under section 76 of the 1988 road traffic act....

:) So there we go. Was signed by Roger Thompson M.D South Coast Tints on behalf of the glass and glazing federation.

If anyone wants to see the whole letter i will try and scan it and email it to you.

That is why S60D5 couldnt get his front side windows tinted, because SCT are obeying the law!!! They now fit dermagard instead, which prevents 'smash and grab'. The whole point of the amendment to sec 32 was because of unscrupulous tinting companys fitting too dark a tint to front side windows and the police getting the hump. So beware, cos the police do have the power to take your car off you there and then if the glass tint is too dark at the front... :pants: i know but the law none the less.