PDA

View Full Version : Fitted DV & Massive K&N

Bison
Friday 10th February 2006, 23:07
I fitted my turbo excess dump valve and it ran like a bag of poo, so it was off down to forge for a nive twin piston. Now fitted and no probs what so ever even though i think the car might be possibly slower? not sure. Anyways runs ok. Then I decide to buy the biggest K&N filter ever! I fitted it and runs fine, maf sensor etc is till all on there in the correct place and the right way round so no running problems and some nice chatter noises. But I do now have that stupid yellow light with the green triangle thing in it! So if it's running ok, why the light? I've been told these T5's will adjust to changes and the light will go off is thsi correct?

Bison

pzorb
Friday 10th February 2006, 23:13
If you're not joking:
I've heard that's what happens - people put bets on it happening. I don't understand the mechanics of it, but it's why I stuck with a K&N panel instead of paying £30 more and getting the 57i. Just thought you'd like to know that what's happened is to be expected, if that makes it any better? :S Last time I got that light the t5 went into limp mode, but a disconnected battery later and all was well.

If you're joking:
Seriously, get the biggest K&N filter you can. In fact, if you remove the filter bit it'll go even faster, cos it's just slowing down the air, like, innit!

Tomcat
Friday 10th February 2006, 23:15
Oooo that doesnt sound healthy
:slap:

rickbee
Friday 10th February 2006, 23:18
Hmmmm, I had the dreaded light come on after fitting a K+N panel. Car went for service, error was for O2 apparently, nothing found wrong, code cleared, light out. Less than a week later the light is on again. Car appears to be running fine/normally..............

Tomcat
Friday 10th February 2006, 23:20
if you have a panel filter in the I suggest you have something else wrong, I have had a panel filter in for years with no problems at all.

BlackBeast
Friday 10th February 2006, 23:21
Off to the dealers for you young scamp! lol

pzorb
Friday 10th February 2006, 23:25
Less than a week later the light is on again.

I found that my aftermarket panel's rubber seam is a wee bit thinner than the volvo paper one, so it's quite a bit easier to clip/unclip the housing, which might suggest that it's possible to not seat the filter in correctly thus causing a leak around the edges? Might not help matters, and it's easy to check.

rickbee
Friday 10th February 2006, 23:33
Spoke with Hamish at VT about the lightt, he said that will be 'the small vacuum hose at the rear of the engine, guaranteed'? Car will be running rich. Hose costs less than 2 quid apparently ?

Tomcat
Friday 10th February 2006, 23:37
I found that my aftermarket panel's rubber seam is a wee bit thinner than the volvo paper one, so it's quite a bit easier to clip/unclip the housing, which might suggest that it's possible to not seat the filter in correctly thus causing a leak around the edges? Might not help matters, and it's easy to check.

you could take the filter off altogether and it wouldnt throw a light up!, having a decent seal on the airbox wont make the slightest difference, as he says its probably a hose broken or off somewhere.

pzorb
Friday 10th February 2006, 23:38
Hose costs less than 2 quid apparently?
Sounds like a no brainer then to me! The decision, not Hamish!

Bison
Saturday 11th February 2006, 12:02
you could take the filter off altogether and it wouldnt throw a light up!, having a decent seal on the airbox wont make the slightest difference, as he says its probably a hose broken or off somewhere.

The light only came on when I fitted the filter, so how can it be a broken hose? Did the hose magically break the same time I fitted the filter?

Loads of people have filters and don't have this problem? It is a strange one. I'm slightly sick of the T5 now! Your can't do **** all to them really can ya without the thing flashing a ££££ load of lights at you!

**** it I might get another Cossie!
Bison

rickbee
Saturday 11th February 2006, 12:13
[QUOTE=Bison]The light only came on when I fitted the filter, so how can it be a broken hose? Did the hose magically break the same time I fitted the filter?

Thats my point Bison, my car was also fine until I changed to the K+N panel. Its a strange one, and I am sure I cant figure it either.

t5tart
Saturday 11th February 2006, 12:14
The light only came on when I fitted the filter, so how can it be a broken hose? Did the hose magically break the same time I fitted the filter?

Loads of people have filters and don't have this problem? It is a strange one. I'm slightly sick of the T5 now! Your can't do **** all to them really can ya without the thing flashing a ££££ load of lights at you!

**** it I might get another Cossie!
Bison

its not the k+n
I have the induction kit on with no problems
may just be coincidence that the light cam on as a vac line came off
or the k+n has improved the ecu's ability to read the fault

you can do lots with a T5 ...

pzorb
Saturday 11th February 2006, 13:07
link: previous discussion (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4360&highlight=intake+tinkering)

Bison
Saturday 11th February 2006, 17:02
I have the induction kit on with no problems, may just be coincidence that the light cam on as a vac line came off
or the k+n has improved the ecu's ability to read the fault

Ok so the light came on for whatever reason, I put original airbox back on to see if it was the filter and the light is still on so it's not the K&N.

Once the light comes on and you put things back to standard, does the light need manually resetting then? I thought if things were back to normal the light would go off automatically?

Bison

SaffronC70
Saturday 11th February 2006, 17:39
Bison

Check your BCS piping - it's the valve that sits on the edge of the airbox iirc. You might of just disturbed some of the piping when taking out the airbox.

Chris

I've had no lights come on with panels/filters and I don't think you can fit a larger cone into the engine bay than mine ?!

http://chriswhiteuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Volvo/bay.jpg

t5tart
Saturday 11th February 2006, 18:15
bloody hell thats some cone!!!!

Bison
Saturday 11th February 2006, 18:18
My cone looks the same size as yours Chris!! Anyways went out for a drive and light has gone off. Lets hope it stays off!!

The noise I'm getting is mint!!

BIson

Engineer
Saturday 11th February 2006, 18:57
Nice one mate "enjoy it......................................" was going to go into one about my oil base filter which is mint and don't through up no lights lol.

pyrotechnictigger
Saturday 11th February 2006, 19:00
In an attempt to finally kill one of my UNO's I took the airfilter out all together and replaced it with some 2mm stainless mesh. Sounded great and after a year was still aok. Didnt have a maff though!

Vikingxl
Sunday 12th February 2006, 23:17
In an attempt to finally kill one of my UNO's I took the airfilter out all together and replaced it with some 2mm stainless mesh. Sounded great and after a year was still aok. Didnt have a maff though!
Interesting approach that!